Advice on Some Purchases Please

Discussion in 'Asian Horror and Other Pleasures' started by dwatts, May 9, 2005.

1. dwatts

dwatts New Member

I'm looking to beef up my asian collection. Since these movies can be had quite cheaply, I don't mind experimenting a bit. Anyone know these films:

R-Point
    Cursed
    Shutter
    Tokyo Psycho

Also, for you smart people who know way more about asian cinema than I - how about some recommendations for good asian thrillers on DVD?

Thanks!

2. BloodMan

BloodMan Kill Time B4 It Kills You

if you've seen The Bunker or Deathwatch... you've seen R-Point. Its alright though.
    Cursed... I asked about this myself and no one has seen it yet I guess. I want to though. :)
    I really want to see Shutter as well. I have a friend from down south who has seen this and enjoyed it very much.
    Dunno anything about Tokyo Psycho.

Check out - Tell Me Something... The Hypnotist... Memories of Murder. :)

3. onebyone

onebyone Guest

I just so happened to have just finished watching Shutter, and I liked it a lot (I am very prone to liking Asian ghost stories though, I admit it). It isn't the most original film in the world and it reminded me of other movies in places, but the leads were so good in this it didn't really matter to me. I cared about them, and hence cared about this movie on its own merits. I am not sure about recommending it to you though. If I remember correctly, you didn't like Ju-On, and, being somewhat like Ju-On, I can't see you getting on board for this one. However, I could be all wrong. You thought the acting was just fine in Saw, so anything is possible.

I will say this is one of the better R3 discs I have purchased, with subtitles on the special features even. *Wipes happy tear*

Last edited by a moderator: May 9, 2005
  4. logboy

logboy Guest

all of these are pretty generic and not that noteworth at all.

there are plenty of threads which cover recommendations for films
    at forums like asiandvdguide / kfccinema.com ... its better to spend
    time reading information than aks for recommendations, as chances
    are people will have contributed to such threads many times before...
    its a shame, but reading is always the best option.

5. dwatts

dwatts New Member

Thanks people, I appreciate the input. I really like a good asian ghost story too - The Ring was great, Dark Water etc. It's the execution that can sometimes fail for me, hence my dislike of "The Eye" and "Ju-On". So if it's done right, I'm fine with it. The DVD's I mentioned above can be had for less than $10 each on Ebay - so they're quite cheap....

6. logboy

logboy Guest

7. maskull

maskull I finally got an avatar!!! Yay!!

Maybe he wants the opinions of people he knows and trusts.

8. Paff

Paff Super Moderator

For the record, you're most likely looking at bootleg copies here

9. Deaddevilman

Deaddevilman Guest

Last edited by a moderator: May 11, 2005
  10. dwatts

dwatts New Member

--For the record, you're most likely looking at bootleg copies here--

Alright, stupid question I suppose, but when it comes to these asian copies - how can you tell?

11. Paff

Paff Super Moderator

No, not a stupid question at all...what's worse, the bootleggers are getting talented, and it's much harder to tell what's legit and what's not.

A good rule of thumb is that if it's on E-bay, region 0, several copies from the same seller, with a super cheap buy-it-now, it's probably a bootleg. Obviously, there are exceptions to that rule.

Most Asian films will be region 2 or 3.

Also, when you get these discs, notice the cover art is usually fuzzy (although they're getting better with that too). Poor subtitling is another trademark of pirated material

12. dwatts

dwatts New Member

Thanks, Paff. What a total pain in the ass. I've been sampling Asian films, but few of them have a "local" release (R1). So you end up picking them up whenever you can. Pity.

13. logboy

logboy Guest

bottlegs. yes region 0 / ebay / "custom" in the description / sold from HK or china / dvd-9 label on front is often used / poor looking design on artwork... all signifiers of bootlegs. in the end there are greta quality bootlegs out there, professionally translated and subtitled. artwork is now often factory made, and discs have color labels even from small operations. the best way to tell if its a boot is to look into the possibility of an existing legit disc - that way, if one is out its better to buy that. if one isnt out - its a boot and you take the risk / choice.

as for the midnighteye book and site. yes, good reviews and background information, though the choice of directors in the book might be considered often the slow end of japanese cinema which people dont so obviously talk about online (aoyama for example). theres lots of dvd releases for these kind of films which just seem to pass us by. the more obvious directors (miike, sabu, tsukamoto, nakata, suzuki, fukasaku) are best searched for at an online retailer to see what options are there, and can easily be researched online too. it is a great book : worth the money. so is tom mes "agitator" (about takashi miike) and his upcoming 'iron man" (about shinya tsukamoto). there are reviews of any existing dvd releases from any of the films you can find released online...

i still say do your own research, not cos i am lazy telling you whats of note - just that what is of note to you if up to you, so only doing your own reading and information hunting will truly tell if something sparks off your interest. simply saying "film x is great" doesnt for me arouse my interest in anything. everyone has a different taste...

and there are a tonne of R1 asian cinema releases. the advanced search engine at dvdplanet.com is useful :

http://www.dvdplanet.com/search_form.asp

you can browse existing and upcoming country-of-origin or dvd labels.

Last edited by a moderator: May 12, 2005
  14. Paff

Paff Super Moderator

Nowadays, being region free is not a big deal at all. In fact, if you have even a remote interest in Asian films, you HAVE to be region free. Many people don't even know that their players can handle all discs. I lent my copy of Josee, The Tiger, and The Fish to a girl I know but told her it probably won't work (it's a Korean region 3 disc), and she said it played fine in her player.

15. logboy

logboy Guest

ive never had anything but a region free player. been buying discs since 1999, from all over the globe...

16. dwatts

dwatts New Member

Thanks for the continued help on this guys, much appreciated!

I couldn't be happy with a crippled player....

17. DefJeff

DefJeff Franca Stoppi's #1 fan

Dwatts, I just wanted to chime in and recommend Seance. It's from the director who did Kairo, Cure, Doppleganger, etc. Here is the link for it on DDD. I'm pretty sure the R1 release is new, I have an older R3 release.

I saw it awhile back, and while it wasn't amazing or groundbreaking, it wasn't bad at all and I'm comfortable recommending it. Also worth seeing is Gozu (from Miike). It's filled with crazy/abnormal characters doing all kinds of strange things and some cool imagery. It really reminds me of a David Lynch film.

18. logboy

logboy Guest

seance / charisma : both actually officially released 17th may 2005. this coming week. theres reviews with pics at dvdbeaver.com. seance was made for tv so hasnt the best picture quality ever, but cracking film. karisma is a stunner. both discs have kurosawa interviews on them... still waiting for mine to arrive.

gozu is a good recommendation too. another odd yakuza drama. it seems to remind lots of people of david lynch, like you say...!

19. BloodMan

BloodMan Kill Time B4 It Kills You

Might as well post this here... Shutter is being remade in America. So I guess y'all should see it (original) before she gets bastardized or whatever you wanna say. :)

20. X-human

X-human I ate my keys

I didn't want to start a new topic on this, but there's an asian film I've been looking for.

It's about a guy who loses his dick so he gets a robotic and/or magically one that can detach itself and fly. Whenever they show the flying detachable penis they'll cut to a guy in a penis suit acting out the motions. When he pops it, they show him jumping up and down with liquid squirting from the top. The plot involves a princess somehow, and the guy is a servant or something in the palace.

I have not see it, this is what I remember being described to me from a freind of a friend who use to own it. I met up with him the other day and he says he can't find his copy anymore and that he's no looking to buy it again. So now that he's no longer a source, I'm turning to all of you.

Any ideas?