Aftermath/Genesis, finally!

Discussion in 'Euro Horror' started by DefJeff, May 20, 2005.

1. DefJeff

DefJeff Franca Stoppi's #1 fan

Well, I got around to checking out this disc and all 3 short films on it yesterday. Overall I can't really say I was disappointed, but more like left with a feeling of "oh, that's it?"; I assume because I was hyped on seeing these movies.

Starting things off, "The Awakening" was great and really got me excited to see the other 2 movies. It was alot shorter then the other films (8 mins), but that dosen't matter. I was interested right from the get go, because the characters managed a personality although they didn't speak once.

"Aftermath" was actually the most disappointing, just because my expectations were high due to the insane hype I hear about it. I was expecting some hardcore corpse fucking here, but instead the necrophilia ended up being more on the tame side. Sure the idea of it is "nasty shit", but I didn't think the actual footage came close to it. Amazing effects in this film though, that was impressive as all hell. The main character was a creep too, I always love that (except in that "Ring 2" boy's case).

"Genesis" was actually kind of sad now that I think of it, more of a depressing sad then a crying sad though. The music was really good and fit well and the performance of the sculpter was excellent. Once again, the effects were just top notch. No real complaints here, although it's probably not something I would watch again.

Oh yeah and I got the "graphic cover". Way to package it! I got a "normal cover" DVD with the graphic cover just wrapped around the outside of the case. :lol: I was hoping it would be done more like the graphic cover of Flower of Flesh and Blood, with seperate releases and such, so the cover wouldn't get all bent up in shipping.

2. SaviniFan

SaviniFan I Have A Fetish

Mine just shipped from Xploited so I hope to have this by next Tuesday.

3. I just got mine from DDD today....I'll probably check it out late tonight.

4. KillerCannabis

KillerCannabis Slow, Deep & Hard

Got mine from Poker Ind. the other day. Nice set. I like how the case is a see through crimson with the graphic cover on the reverse side of the beautiful artwork rendition. Well put together disc. Plenty of extras and a nice little booklet. I'm eagerly anticipating watching all 3 films this weekend. I'm not going to hype myself up too much, but its kind of hard considering all the praise they've been getting lately.

5. Atmims

Atmims Guest

Thanks for the review. I know what your saying. I haven't seen it yet but I seen some clips of it now and I can tell it's not meant to be excessively shocking, where before I pictured some necrophiliac's jerk-off tape, with intestine sodomizing and the worst I could imagine. I always thought this was the one that would go "too far.", but I'm not sure what that would be anymore since everytime I see the one that "went too far" the bar is only raised higher. :lol:

Sounds like it might live up past the shock value though.

6. tobaccoman

tobaccoman White, Proud, and Stupid

Well listen to the hype because these films are absolute terrific and the presentation along with extras on this release are truly awesome. You have to take into consideration the arthouse approach taken to the films from someone who is basically an amateur director. Hell, he directed the making of The Machinist... and these three films are amazingly done. I am deffinitely looking forward to seeing more of this man's films in the future.

*edit* Well from what I just read on imdb is that he didn't direct the making of The Machinist, but was simply in it as himself. He is also featured in the documentary on The Manson Family 2-disc set.

Last edited: Sep 3, 2005
  7. DefJeff

See, now that's what I was expecting too! I think we should talk MC into making this his next film. ;)

KC, "the case is a see-through Crimson" I didn't get any special packaging with mine! Darn, I thought it was packaged a little funny.

8. logboy

logboy Guest

yes, disc contents are standard to both editions - just the cover that changes.

9. Subversive

Subversive Guest

My biggest concern is this, is the DVD Progressively Scanned? I cannot watch anything that isn't on my monitor. Their site doesn't make it clear, as progressive scanning should be manditory for all DVD labels.

10. baggio

baggio Well-Known Member

I don't want to creep anyone out with this comment, but I thought Aftermath was actually silly. I mean the bodies that are "worked on" are fake looking dummies. I mean I know there not real but they look very fake even before the first incision starts. And the girls body looks exactly like the "Real Doll" (that famoust sex doll) The minute they pulled the cover off I started laughing on how close it looked to that doll. It just lays they with arms not bent like a board. Its actually very silly looking. Sure the concept of the movie is disturbing, but very silly looking visuals. I don't know what the big deal is about the movie. I seen worse autopsies in other horror movies.

Does anyone else understand what I mean about the girls body looking very odd. It was like he was working on a mannequin from Sears.

11. mcchrist

mcchrist A new breed of pervert!

:lol: Don't think I haven't tossed a few ideas around.

12. MorallySound

MorallySound Mad Mutilator

I got this last week when I was in Edmonton. They only had the tame cover, but oh well. I think I prefer it to the graphic cover, cause then I don't look like as much of a demented freak. The only one I haven't gotten around to watching yet is Genesis.

13. DVD Connoisseur

DVD Connoisseur Active Member

I actually had the same thought! Though, I must confess, I didn't laugh.

After much deliberation, I finally watched the DVD last night (purchased the standard version as didn't want to risk ordering the graphic cover with possible customs interest!) and was very impressed with the presentation of the 3 shorts. As DefJeff's already commented, I was actually slightly disappointed by the lack of shock value. I really expected 20 minutes of intense, close-up, no holds barred necrophilia here. The actual film is very tastefully done. For me, it's a case of reading an article and the cinematic reality never quite living up to the imagined possibilities. At the end of the day, with such a large budget, it would take a very reckless first-time director to probably go any further with the gross-out factor and subject matter. As the piece stands, it's a very mature work that shows an appropriate level of restraint. If shock value's required for the viewer, Mordum or Nekromantik explore these avenues to a greater extent. Aftermath, however, is a true cinematic experience. If Ridley Scott was asked to do a movie about corpse fucking, it would look like this!

Aftermath and Genesis are incredibly glossy, professional shorts. Every shot looks fantastic and this is coupled with an incredible soundtrack. The opening titles alone are truly awesome.

One thing lingered with me after watching the "making of" documentary! When the actor playing the autopsy "did it for real" in the "rape" scene, I'm assuming this is a reference to his state-of-mind and he didn't actually bonk the silicon cadavar!? Urgh!

14. DefJeff

Seems like there is a new Aftermath DVD out which is PAL R2, kinda pricey though.

It is limited, has a metal case and a small corpse? (I'd love to see pictures of this thing).

From Diabolik:

Import DVD
    PAL Region 2
    Limited edition, Metal-Case Packaging with small Corpse
    Making Of
    Trailer
    Various Interviews
    Audio Commentary
    16-page Booklet
    Exclusive Short Film: 'Nacho Cerda presents Dr. Curry' directed by David Alcalde and produced by Nacho Cerda (Spanish Language)

http://www.diabolikdvd.com/category/Browse-All-Titles/Aftermath-DVD-(Metal-Case-Corpse-Edition)-(PAL-Region-2).html

15. Deaddevilman

Deaddevilman Guest

Interesting films... filmed well, but not something I would recommend to anyone.

16. DefJeff

Okay wow, I realized you can click on the picture Diabolik has on their site and it opens up to a picture of the small corpse and the packaging. Looks really great.

[​IMG]

17. Gnaghi

Gnaghi Guest

i think it looks a bit silly since it's just a normal metal briefcase with a window and what looks like one of those see through anatomy models. unless it was a replica of the corpse in the movie.

i don't know whether to be angry or flattered they used my composition for their dvd.

18. DefJeff

Yeah, maybe "really great" was pushing it. I was excited I found pictures of it, so sue me. :p

Nothing will beat the "graphic cover" packaging on the R1 disc anyways, I love that.

19. Crystal Plumage

Crystal Plumage Dig me..but don't bury me

So,you wanted pictures? :):

[​IMG]

20. thrashard76

thrashard76 Guest

Anatomically correct wow! But um, why is it a guy carcass and not a woman carcass?