AHS: Cult

Discussion in 'General' started by The Joker, Sep 27, 2017.

1. The Joker

The Joker Well-Known Member

Anyone watching this season? Personally, I really like it so far, and I'm glad they're taking obvious jabs at Trump. I thought Roanoke was a wasted season. It was overly complex for the purpose of trying to be different and it lost me. I didn't care if I missed an episode, and that's basically the kiss of death for a TV show. But this season is intriguing, in my opinion. And the clown masks are creepy AF, especially this one:

[​IMG]

My only complaint, and it's a small one, is the trypophobia images. I actually have trypophobia and seeing certain images is extremely distressing to me. But aside from that, Cult is a win, so far.

Anyone else?

chancetx likes this.
  2. chancetx

chancetx Active Member

I'm watching but haven't decided if I'll stick with it or not. Sarah Paulson's character is exhausting and so far the focus is all on her and her family.

Her wife has to be in on it, don't you think? Her parental safety password for the kid's computer being "clownZ" seems to point to that, though I guess that could be an intentional misdirect

Frankly, I get enough Trump horror on the news every day. I don't know if I want to keep watching a "fictionalized" version as entertainment. I do like the creepy clowns though.

3. The Joker

If anything leads me to believe that, it was last night's episode when...

They showed everyone's back story and the wife's involvement with the babysitter. Since we know the babysitter is in cahoots with Evan Peters' character, it makes me wonder why she even showed up to apply for the babysitting job. I'm guessing that was pre-arranged between her and the wife, unbeknownst to Paulson's character.

4. zompirejoe

zompirejoe Active Member

I had low expectations for AHS- Cult but I am pleasantly surprised. The best part of this season is that 99% of the characters on this show are supremely fucked up. Left wing nut jobs, right wing nut-jobs, moderate nut-jobs, media nut-jobs, you can't trust anyone and nobody is safe . It seems like almost everyone is in on it and most were bad before the election in one way or another . Bringing the worst out in everybody this season is Evan Peter's Manson like cult founder Kai. He is a really great bad guy constantly chewing up and spitting out every scene he is in. Of course a lot of this season mimics real life events and cranks it up to eleven. That may be the show's greatest strength. Nobody is left unscathed this season, and it's actually a pretty good one so far. There are a lot of Hitchcockian moments, lots of Body Snatcher type paranoia as well. Plus the violence is really over the top. So far I give Cult a thumbs up, and hope they don't fuck it up.

The Joker likes this.
  5. The Joker

Now that we're more than halfway through the season, what are everyone's thoughts? I still like this season, but it's starting to twist and turn in ways that are slightly boring...at least to me.

6. Copyboy

Copyboy Member

Yes, I totally agree that some of the twists and turns are a little on the dull side. There was nothing surprising to me about

the girlfriend's or the shrink's involvement in the cult (although I didn't expect the shrink to be a relative) - also wasn't surprised the neighbor's wife was playing Sarah Paulson, but was surprised that she was actually the shooter - and in the most recent episode, the twist at the end with Frances Conroy wasn't much of a shocker either.

Despite the twists that you can kind of see coming, I am still totally enjoying this season and love the political angle. Plus, it's great seeing Leslie Grossman again. I hope Ryan Murphy can bring her back for future seasons of AHS. LOVED her when she played Mary Cherry on Popular back in my early college days.