Alan Ormsby's DERANGED (1974) and Jeff Lieberman's SQUIRM (1976) from Arrow (UK)

Discussion in 'High Definition' started by bruce h, Feb 12, 2013.

1. bruce h

bruce h Editor - CINEMA ARCANA

From Blu-Ray.com
    http://www.blu-ray.com/news/?id=10459

Two more favorites of mine! I'm usually pretty critical of Arrow, but it does seem like they've been trying harder lately. Also, since MGM was in charge of the remastering, I imagine they'll look great.

Someone should check with Shout Factory and see if these are on their upcoming schedule -- if not, I'll definitely bite on these imports!

(Can a mod change the thread title to read DERANGED? Darn typos!)

Last edited: Feb 12, 2013
  2. elDomenechHDG

elDomenechHDG Well-Known Member

Good, I can finally retire my Deranged/Motel Hell double feature and Squirm DVDs and replace them with (hopefully) high-quality Blu-rays. Feels great whenever I get rid of a drab old SD disc with awful cover art. As for inquiring with Cliff about some of these titles, he has turned down so many that I'm afraid to ask him. He said Shout doesn't have Without Warning and Scorpion is claiming they also don't have it so I suggested that perhaps Arrow has licensed some of the ones Shout has said no to. I keep forgetting that Arrow's Blu's are now region-locked so that theory doesn't really hold any water.

3. Mutilated Prey

Mutilated Prey Soul Stealer

Cool news! Although I'm sure I'm screwed since they seem to have let go with the All Region releases.

As for your type-o, it's probably easier to just delete the post and create a new. I've done it before.

4. MorallySound

MorallySound Mad Mutilator

Any word on if Deranged will be uncut?

5. SaviniFan

SaviniFan I Have A Fetish

If it is then I'll definitely bite. I enjoy Deranged, but I'm satisfied with the MGM DVD and an uncut blu will most likely be the only double-dip scenario on this title for me.

6. spawningblue

spawningblue Deadite

Cliff has unfortunately denied having Squirm, Deranged, or Motel Hell. Extremely disappointing especially since these titles are region locked.

7. fattyjoe37

fattyjoe37 Well-Known Member

Awesome news! Between Scream/Shout and Arrow's releases for the year, I'm gonna be broke!

8. maybrick

maybrick Well-Known Member

I prefer the title "Deranger". Seriously :lol:

9. Chomp

Chomp Rudest Motherfucker on HD

I’m definitely picking these up regardless of transfer. These are two of my favorites, and I definitely want to be spoiled by the supplements Arrow packs with their releases. I just wish they could have released this before Roberts Blossom passed away for perhaps an interview or a few words with him. I would love to hear what that guy has to say about any of the numerous movies he had appeared in….he was easily one of the most underrated actors in the biz.

Plus if Shout! has already stated they won’t be releasing these titles, I’d say there is a pretty slim chance these will get an HD treatment stateside as Shout! is really the only company giving these kind of niche films the time of day (on BD) and putting them out on a consistent release schedule. Their current/future slate of HD releases is truly unmatched.

10. CPT HOOK

CPT HOOK Well-Known Member

Deranged rocks. I didn't see it until it was paired on DVD with Motel Hell, mainly because I didn't think I'd like it. But when I finally did see it, I was surprised by how good it was. Underrated flick. If it's region free, I might upgrade.

Squirm is fun, but I'll probably stick with the DVD.

11. Kim Bruun

Kim Bruun Resident Scream Queen

Awesome! I love Jeff Lieberman, and Squirm is my favourite of his. Can't wait to pre-order. I might get Deranged as well, though I honestly disliked on my first and only viewing about ten years ago.

12. Risky1975

Risky1975 New Member

Yessssss! Can't wait, i honestly could care less what region movies are .. i have been region free for years...im geeked! Now i can get rid of my double feature from mgm!

13. startide

startide Member

I have a feeling I derived one of my favourite expressions from Deranged. To this day I still say yessum. :D (Assuming I remember that correctly, of course.)

Takes me back to the Channel 10 horror movie nights. It wasn't an official thing, just every Thursday night (IIRC) they'd show a horror film late night. Deranged, Dark Night of the Scarecrow, The Changeling, Cellar Dweller.... But now... Damn you infomercials!!!

14. bruce h

Around the time he discovered the BLUE VELVET outtakes, I asked MGM restorationist Darren Gross about the GHOULIES 2 R-rated footage I also heard he tracked down. His response:

So the uncut footage exists, it has been transferred from Tom Karr's print and cleaned -- now we just have to hope Arrow doesn't edit it back into the wrong spot!

Last edited: Feb 13, 2013
  15. foller

foller Active Member

There was more than just the brain scene missing. I hope they cleaned up the other scenes from the uncut version as well.

16. bruce h

What are you basing that on? The brain-scooping scene was the only bit of additional footage I ever knew of. Here's a comparison between the R-rated release and the unrated:

http://www.movie-censorship.com/report.php?ID=1696

17. foller

foller Active Member

The information comes from the 22-page booklet of the DVD by Legend Home Entertainment in your link (text in German). It mentions two scenes that were cut by Savini but only one could be restored and reinserted.

When Ezra Cobb opens the grave of the teacher Miss Johnson he cuts off her head and holds it up high. The picture then fades from the head to the same head on the table in Ezra's house. According to the booklet this scene took about five hours to shoot but was later cut out by Savini because he did not like the quality of the special effects (just like the infamous spoon scene).

You can only find the pictures of the spoon scene on the link because the other scene was missing on the Legend DVD.

18. bruce h

19. bruce h

20. SaviniFan

SaviniFan I Have A Fetish

Ordered. It's nice to be region free.