Alejandro Jodorowsky's SANTA SANGRE 2 DVD Special Edition

Discussion in 'Euro Horror' started by KR~!, Mar 5, 2004.

1. KR~!

KR~! The Apocalyptic Kid

[​IMG]

It has been released!

DVD FEATURES
    DVD 1
    Anamorphic (16:9) Widescreen (1.77:1) Version
    English 5.1 and 2.0 Audio Options
    Audio Commentary with Director Alejandro Jodorowsky & Film Journalist Alan Jones
    Optional English Subtitles

DVD 2

Louis Mouchet's La Constellation Jodorowsky (87 minutes)
    Deleted Scene
    Filmed On-Stage Interview with Director Alejandro Jodorowsky
    Short Film Echek Directed by Alejandro's son, Adan Jodorowsky
    Poster and Stills Gallery
    Bio

http://www.xploitedcinema.com/dvds/dvds.asp?title=2392

2. Andrew

Andrew Guest

It has been out for a little while now, but it is a very cool disc. The picture quality is very good, and the commentary is definitely worth a listen. LA CONSTALLATION JODOROWSKY (which I've seen previously on the FANDO & LIS disc) is good, but I wish it spent more time on Jodo's films. Interesting from a biographical perspective though. The on-stage interview was perhaps my favorite part, with him talking about some crazy ass shit. Definitely worth picking up.

3. life_o_petey

life_o_petey Guest

I was going to order this a few days ago, but noticed the video store has the vhs. It's kinda nice to see a movie before I buy it every now and then...

4. FulciZombieFan

FulciZombieFan New Member

Since this is an ANCHOR BAY U.K. release is there any hope of a U.S.A. release of this?

I'd rather wait if that might happen if not then I'll have to buy this because my old LD is starting to rot away.

- John "FulciLives" Coleman

5. Erg0n

Erg0n My Baby Picture

In a House that's Up My Butt In A Cellar, Canada
    Yes I was wondering about this too. I emailed AB a long time ago but had no luck in a reply.

6. Word has it that MGM has the U.S. rights.

DJ

7. FulciZombieFan

FulciZombieFan New Member

My old US LaserDisc is REPUBLIC PICTURES and is the full UNCUT NC-17 version though it was slightly time compressed to fit within the 2 hours that a single 2 sided LaserDisc is capable off (without time compression the movie is supposed to be 123 minutes).

Anyways if I recall not that long ago ARTISAN released SANTA SANGRE on VHS but it was only the R-rated version and they only did it on VHS eventhough DVD was around at the time (and I think Artisan had done other releases on DVD at that time too).

- John "FulciLives" Coleman

8. Grim

Grim Well-Known Member

We can only hope that it'll be released on R1 some day. I'll eventually get this release, though. as i'm in the process of finding a new region-free player so I can get the Japanese Kill Bill DVD.

9. dwatts

dwatts New Member

I watched this film for the first time tonight. WOW. This release is definitive, I think. An amazing jouney is to be had watching this one. I'd read somewhere that use of color was comparable to Dario Argento himself - but as a huge fan of Dario - let me tell you that Santa Sangre visually bests anything Dario has been able to achieve.

It's a wonderful film - I highly recommend it.

10. Andrew

Andrew Guest

Glad to see you liked it. I still say the "giallo" type scene beats on anything Argento has ever done. If Jodo made a full giallo...damn, that would be amazing.

11. dwatts

dwatts New Member

How about Jodo and Dario joining together for the third mothers film? I reckon that would make it everything we wanted - and a good bit more.

I don't know what to say about Santa Sangre though, what the heck can you say about it? It's just a work of art - every scene - every prop. It's just.... unique. No-one should miss this.

12. X-human

X-human I ate my keys

Is this a lot better than Image Entertainment's LD? I know the LD's unmatted but I wasn't THAT impressed with the film's colors when I watched it, maybe it was faded...

Still an impressive movie, very interesting idea. I may wait it out a R1 since I have the LD, perhaps it'll be better than R2's.

13. betterdan

betterdan Guest

I hope a region 1 release comes around sometime soon. I am dying to see this.

14. Andrew

Andrew Guest

Dude the colors on this release are the best part. I've never seen the LD but this disc looks fucking fantastic. Like dwatts said - it's a work of art.

15. dwatts

dwatts New Member

There are times in this film where Santa Sangre makes Suspiria looks as though it were made in black and white. :D

16. Crystal Plumage

Crystal Plumage Dig me..but don't bury me

I just discovered that Claudio Argento produced this movie so it got me interested.After a search I came to this thread.Can anyone tell me what this movie is all about?
    What's so special about this movie?
    Should I put it in my wishlist?

17. dwatts

dwatts New Member

YES.

It's a story of revenge - but it has some amazing imagery. It does have a fairly straight forward story, actually. But it is clothed in the most wonderous splendors. The extras are great too.

What's so special? Well, it's pretty damn unique. Use of color and images though set it apart. It's really wonderful.

18. Criswell

Criswell New Member

It's not that unique.

Lon Chaney made essentially the same film in "The Unknown".

19. Luna

Luna Guest

Definitely one to put high on the wishlist. The disc looks gorgeous, too... the colors are beautiful and rich. It was like watching the movie for the first time, for me. I'd only ever seen it on a worn VHS, not widescreen. I can pretty much guarantee you'll love this movie. :D

20. Myron Breck

Myron Breck BOO!!! Gotcha!

I ordered this last week and am SO psyched!!! It was a big part of why I got a region-free player to begin with. I got ahold of a copy of a copy of a copy of the VHS when I was in college and have been anxious to see it widescreen and "unfiltered".
    I agree with Luna that most people will pretty much love it...most people on this site, anyway.