Alert! Netflix streaming purge

Discussion in 'General' started by crikan, Sep 24, 2015.

Tags:
  1. DVD-fanatic-9

DVD-fanatic-9 And the Next Morning, When the Campers Woke Up...

This is the internet - everyone's smug on it.

This is your brain:
    [​IMG]

This is your brain on the internet:
    [​IMG]

2. Anaestheus

Anaestheus Well-Known Member

BTW - for those who were upset by the purge on Netflix, it does look like most of those films (or at least the ones that I know were in my queue) did end up on Hulu

3. baggio

baggio Well-Known Member

4. buck135

buck135 Kanamit

Damn straight.

baggio likes this.
  5. Hatchetwarrior

Hatchetwarrior Well-Known Member

I'm not at all shocked to hear this one. Even with all the money that Diseny makes they still feel the need to scrap every last penny they can find. It's because of situations like this that Netflix has been churning out original content left and right so they are not at the mercy of the big studios. It'll be a great stragedy for Netflix in the long run since they are more willing to take risks on creative, original programming and I applaud them for it.

6. baggio

baggio Well-Known Member

Yes but Disney owns so much content besides cartoon films. For example they own ABC and their entire library. Whats to say they make it exclusive that all those shows will only be on Disney streaming. The entire Marvel universe, Star Wars, etc... they own a lot. Go ahead and list out all the children/teen shows they own. It's mind blowing. The point is there too many streaming services with "exclusive content" already. Netflix, Hulu, Amazon combined don't have anywhere near the content that Disney owns. It's a stretch but if Disney wanted to make everything they own exclusive to their own streaming service that could deliver a huge blow to a service like Hulu.

7. baggio

baggio Well-Known Member

8. baggio

baggio Well-Known Member

9. KGBRadioMoskow

KGBRadioMoskow Well-Known Member

"Physical media is dead, one streaming subscription gives you instant access to all the content you would ever want."

Advance the clock. Streaming services start deleting low demand content, studios license only to select vendors, streaming services produce exclusive content...

Instead of buying a bunch of disks, now you pay a bunch of streaming services. Expect this trend to continue until each major studio only offers its wares on its own service, and the price to access the entire menu would make those bloated cable TV bills of old look cheap.

Meanwhile more people flock to pirate ware as the exclusive content pay to see tangle makes them to declare "fuck this".

Zombie Dude likes this.
  10. hots4

hots4 Dogs In White

I don't think so, I feel physical media will be around for a while. Most people I know, me included don't want to be paying for loads and loads of streaming sites. I have amazon and Netflix, that's it, I'll watch stuff there buy stuff and if it's not available through these areas I'll find a way to see it, I pay enough for this shit as it is so won't be shelling out anymore.

baggio likes this.
  11. russweiss

russweiss Well-Known Member

I also only have Netflix and Prime and see no reason to subscribe to others. There has been talk for years about physical media going away but I don't see that happening any time soon. There will always be a market (although it may be small) of people that want to hold what they purchase in their hand.

12. wago70

wago70 Surviving on nostalgia

San Francisco - down by them two ol' sheds
    I used to only have the Netflix - and then they purged most of what I loved (Code Red titles, Crown International titles...most retro horror stuff even stuff like Encounter With the Unknown.)
    I don't trust streaming too much. It's convenient but I really treasure my physical medias.
    I still have Netflix (for those few series and vintage Twin Peaks) but I also have Exploitation.tv, Acorn TV, Hulu and I'm looking into Criterion's streaming service soon as well as Full Moon since they have stuff I love.
    So yeah - I'M PAYING MORE in addition to paying $115 for Dish Network which has some great titles to stream (Blue Underground type, Corman B/W classics, ect.) and the fact that the Close Captioning works when I play the movies low in sound late at night unlike some of the physical medias which don't have subtitles or the CC just doesn't work at all.

baggio likes this.
  13. baggio

baggio Well-Known Member

And it doesn't stop.

Now Disney is talking about acquiring 20th Century Fox. Watch them yank all those films off of Netflix.

14. buck135

buck135 Kanamit

That deal fell through thankfully.