Alfred Hitchcock's Frenzy

Discussion in 'Classic' started by Anthropophagus, Jan 24, 2011.

1. Anthropophagus

Anthropophagus Well-Known Member

Just wanted to know what everyone thinks of this later cinematic work of Alfred Hitchcock? I'm a big fan or Rear Window, Psycho, The Birds...but have not seen it yet. Is it worth a blind buy? A rental?
    Thanks.

2. Dobby

Dobby Well-Known Member

Dude this has been done to death! JOKE! I kid i kid! LOL!!! Frenzy has it moments but it definitely an acquired taste. If you love Hitchcock you will enjoy it. Despite the film not being considered his best or even remotely epic like Vertigo. It's still a pretty decent film to sit and enjoy with popcorn. I honestly enjoyed it and occasionally give it a spin. For me it's the most underrated Hitchcock film very brilliant. I enjoyed the wonderfully nasty The Trouble With Harry also. Anyway I don't want to give away too much and ruin the film for you. So I'll just leave it at that hope you give it a spin.

3. dave13

dave13 Well-Known Member

worth a blind buy? most definitely. family plot may have been his last film (and i don't think its actually that bad), but this is hitchcock's swan song. after three critical disappointments in a row (marnie, torn curtain, and topaz), hitchcock proved he still had it with frenzy. it is an excellent film, edgy, dark, and dangerous. and everybody who considers themselves a hitchcock fan should see it. and own it.

4. Anthropophagus

Dobby, I concur The Trouble With Harry is an underrated classic. Will seek out Frenzy based upon both your recommendations.

5. Harry Warden

Harry Warden Well-Known Member

Run..don't walk to buy Frenzy. Very good film..and if memory serves me right, Hitchock's only R rated film.

6. dave13

dave13 Well-Known Member

i know that the vhs version of psycho i had was rated r, but that was probably done retroactively. i wouldn't be surprised if you were right. frenzy is pretty graphic, by hitchcock standards.

7. Dobby

Dobby Well-Known Member

Yeah never understood the R rating on Psycho VHS. Came across that video many times when I was little.

8. Mr. Eddy

Mr. Eddy Member

Couldn't have said it better myself. A very underrated classic!

9. Anaestheus

Anaestheus Well-Known Member

It is definitely an excellent film. However, it should be pointed out that while the themes may be consistent, it is a very different film from most of Hitchcock's other work. In particular it has a much grittier look and feel to it. That fits well with the overall mood of the film, but don't go in expecting the slick polish of something like North by Northwest. Hitch had returned to England hoping to rejuvenate himself and find fresh inspiration away from the Hollywood system and it definitely worked. It is definitely Hitchcock at his ballsiest.

10. j tea

j tea New Member

Frenzy is awesome. It definitely has a bit of the giallo feel to it. Maybe it is just more 'swingin.' My wife and I can never say the word 'lovely' without starting to say it repeatedly like the killer. Definitely would check it out.

11. Anthropophagus

Thank you for your replies. Great stuff.