Alien 2 (a.k.a. Alien Terror) coming to BD!!

Discussion in 'High Definition' started by Steel76, Oct 14, 2010.

1. Jimmy S

Jimmy S New Member

Usually when something like that is done the director or the DP of the film are the ones who advice on that (to be sure to reflect the true film director vision). But since this highly legally suspect BR was done with no input from them (as if they were that hard to reach). when we know the backstory of Bill Knight as a bootlegger it isn't that hard to believe this is as legal as a Jeff Films' release are.

2. Dobby

Dobby Well-Known Member

I wonder how many copies this has sold mmm 7?

3. Mutilated Prey

Mutilated Prey Soul Stealer

Holy Jesus, where I have been? Living under a rock? I just noticed this thread for some reason :lol:

I watched this off a Cinemageddon download last year. It's kinda like watching the Strangeness, but worse. The gore is pretty decent as is the atmosphere at times, but the acting is terrible and the sound effects at some points will make you want to stick cotton balls in your ears - it's like they didn't make any sense.

Would I get the Blu? Hells yeah! But for $32? FUCK NO! Get it down to between $15-$20 I might reconsider purely for nostaglia purposes.

Last edited: Nov 30, 2010
  4. springjack

springjack New Member

That many??? :eek:
    I don´t think Midnight Legacy has that many employes. :evil:

Let´s face it... even them have to buy this to try to get some money back. :fuck:

5. rhett

rhett Administrator

Nostalgia for having torrented it a year ago? Damn, we really are a starved for memories generation! :lol:

6. Mutilated Prey

Mutilated Prey Soul Stealer

Haha - I meant from a horror era perspective, not my own :lol:

But, at the rate I'm acquiring movies compared to when I actually have time to watch them this won't make it into my Blu Ray player for 10 years!

7. Jeremy

Jeremy Closet SCREAM fan

I don't know if this is a legit release or not, but even with Mr. Knight's background I'm not yet ready to come out and assume that this is a bootleg. But so many people are speculating that it is a bootleg that last night I sent an e-mail to Minerva Pictures, the Italian licensor, explaining the situation and asking if they could confirm that Midnight Legacy has the proper rights to distribute the title in North America. If I hear back from them I will post the response here.

8. springjack

springjack New Member

Good thinking...

9. bruce h

bruce h Editor - CINEMA ARCANA

The Blu-Ray is 100% legit and is indeed licensed from Minerva. Not sure why there's a question about it, really -- it's not like just anyone can go in and get a hi-def transfer from a film's original camera negative!

Have any of you guys seen this thing yet? It's amazingly good-looking!

10. Jeremy

Jeremy Closet SCREAM fan

That's been pretty much my thought for a while, Bruce. The reviews have all praised the image quality, and the screenshots posted don't betray any evidence of upconversion from an SD source, nor have there been other high definition discs or any high definition cable broadcasts of this film that could have been ripped for this Blu. No matter what Bill Knight's business practices in the past have been, it seems fairly safe to say that he has all his bases covered this time.

Last edited: Dec 4, 2010
  11. SickNick89

SickNick89 Member

Mines coming in the mail this week. Looking foward to a chrisp, new transfer of this one.

12. X-human

X-human I ate my keys

And if an admitted counterfeiter were to open a money exchange you wouldn't give it a second thought?

There's only been healthy skepticism up to this point. After all we only now have the physical disc, and hell there's 1080p HD transfers of Night of the Living Dead out there too.

These guys have done and said some pretty crazy things in the past up to this release. That there would be doubts must be expected and naive not to think so. Midnight Legacy and friends have brought this all upon themselves as far as I'm concerned.

13. The Chaostar

The Chaostar Johnny Hallyday forever

Oh I am pretty sure is is legit. Why work on the negative so hard for a bootleg?
    It is still hilariously expensive though.

14. bruce h

bruce h Editor - CINEMA ARCANA

A valid opinion, X-Human.

On the flip side, I prefer to look at it as them finally putting their money where their mouth is. As long as they keep making their discs as good as ALIEN 2 and don't revert back to old habits, they have my support.

And yes, I'll agree it's way too expensive. And I've told them that a 30,000 copy limited edition is nothing but a pipedream -- this title wouldn't have moved that many back when DVDs were actually *selling*!

15. rhett

rhett Administrator

My review is posted here:

http://horrordigital.com/viewarticle.php?articleid=890

I'll concur with Bruce, this is a pretty impressive transfer visually. Midnight Legacy gets a clean slate from me, and based on this first release it looks like we'll have a lot of great things to look forward to.

16. Zombie Dude

Zombie Dude Well-Known Member

Yea, for those who can afford it.

17. rhett

rhett Administrator

Yeah, it's a steep price, but in this marketplace there really aren't many more avenues for profitability. I understand what they're doing, because this isn't the kind of movie that's going to sell at your Best Buys or Wal-Marts. It's a niche title, and if I've learned anything about horror fans in general over the years, it's that we're collectors and often willing to pay a premium to get the movies we want. Lowering the price isn't really going to attract the average consumer, but raising it isn't really going to chase away the horror fans that are interested in it in the first place. It's the horror fans on the fringe, though, that they lose with the higher price.

18. springjack

springjack New Member

In my country, for the price of this movie I can put $15 more and get the Alien boxset.

19. The Chaostar

The Chaostar Johnny Hallyday forever

Crisis anyone? I'm earning one FIFTH of the money I used to make last year. Almost everyone I know is on the fringe. Here and everywhere. Cmon.

20. zompirejoe

zompirejoe Active Member

I fell your pain as I am in the same predicament. I used to buy a lot from Midnight Video, and I still own a few of their DVD-R films. I would love to own this blu ray and support the company, but the price makes it out of the question at this time.Twenty dollars maybe, but never over thirty. I hardly ever buy any movies ,comics, or horror related merchandise anymore. It's come down to a choice between having those things, or making the mortage payment.