Alien: Covenant (2017) (aka Prometheus 2)

Discussion in 'General' started by mclay18, Mar 25, 2014.

1. thing

thing Well-Known Member

2. Harry Warden

Harry Warden Well-Known Member

Are you trying to tell me that you only have eyes for me? Thing....you tart! :p;)

Zombie Dude likes this.
  3. MisterTwister

MisterTwister The Schlock King

I think Thing is finally realizing that he needs to stop being the turd in the punch bowl.

4. MorallySound

MorallySound Mad Mutilator

Official poster:

[​IMG]

Workshed, m@ggot, Zombie Dude and 4 others like this.
  5. Harry Warden

Harry Warden Well-Known Member

Very Sweet. I would like to own one of these. Too cool.

6. burieddeep

burieddeep Dr. Obrero

BadAss! I want one now!

Harry Warden likes this.
  7. Zombie Dude

Zombie Dude Well-Known Member

Damn that's dope. Really looking forward to this one.

Harry Warden likes this.
  8. wago70

wago70 Surviving on nostalgia

San Francisco - down by them two ol' sheds
    Nice poster - reminds me of a key scene in ALIEN RESURRECTION.

9. Steel76

Steel76 Well-Known Member

10. ImmortalSlasher

ImmortalSlasher Active Member

I don't know if I should watch these clips now or after the movie. They seem to be advertised as story moments before the movie. There is this Crossing one and a Last Supper. But if these are important you would think they would be included in the movie. Or at least they will be in a director's cut. For something like this I want the full experience.

11. Zombie Dude

They don't really give much away. But I agree that the complete story should probably be told in the actual film.

12. Steel76

Steel76 Well-Known Member

Crossing definitely feels like a part of the movie itself, probably the opening 10-15 minutes (or maybe a flashback?), cut down to a short teaser.

Just three more weeks!! :)

13. X-human

X-human I ate my keys

I saw the trailer in the theaters and... Eh, seems more of the same old just in the jungle instead of a space ship. It made me yearn to go back and watch the first one more than anything else. I'm not certain it can best that. And speaking of which, damn, apparently I missed the theatrical re-release of the original on Wednesday. :(

And Prometheus already spelled out what's going to happen so I don't foresee any surprises. Scott's already talking about more sequels, so it's not like we're looking to get any closure on the matter (despite his age). And just about the only thing Prometheus did for me was make me interested in the continuing adventures of Noomi. So when they dumped her they dumped everything I was interested in and all I'm apparently left with is the soulless remains of Prometheus with the heart of its story cut out. :confused:

ImmortalSlasher likes this.
  14. ImmortalSlasher

ImmortalSlasher Active Member

They released the poster as a timed edition ending on Monday. There are three store options to pick from depending on your location, preference, or if they have other Alien posters that you might want. The Bottleneck Gallery store is offering a potential random bonus print with one of three past releases.

https://bottleneckgallery.com/collections/frontpage/products/alien-covenant-fine-art-print
    *bonus random contest alien prints*

https://www.darkinkart.com/collections/featured-artwork/products/alien-covenant-timed-release

https://davincisdreams.com/collections/all?nopreview

Also I broke down and watched those prologue clips. On the Last Supper one, that seems like it could be in the movie or a clip cut to make the run time shorter. It does have a bit of an Alien or Aliens group feel. If the movie starts with the crew waking up like in Alien, I could see why that would get cut.

But the recent Crossing one has some major spoilers. I can't see how that's not in the movie. I liked Prometheus and would be upset if we hear about that in dialog. In fact, it made me watch / glimpse at bits from the trailer. I wanted to not see anything from the movie. But I just couldn't believe that they would release The Crossing as a prologue and not have those scenes on screen. I'm like X-human now and worried how they will handle the Shaw character as I did like her as well.

X-human likes this.
  15. Franco

Franco Weekender

Will finally watch it tonight! Can't wait!

The following are spoilers regarding only to the soundtrack. Skip if you also want the soundtrack to be a surprise:
    The soundtrack is nice, it grabs cues from the original (Alien, 1979 - Jerry Goldsmith) but composer Jed Kurzel also adds some good tracks too, very sci-fi music. Search later for the track "Sails". Lovely! You can only think of SPACE when you listen to it.

As most of the times happen, there must be additional music not included in the soundtrack that can only be enjoyed in the movie. It might appear later in an FYC or an expanded release (bootleg or not).

Workshed likes this.
  16. Workshed

Workshed a.k.a. Villyan Shit

Nice review at the AV Club:

Grade: B+

Steel76 and Zombie Dude like this.
  17. Zombie Dude

A cool vid of some if the set pieces and creature design. Nice to see how much of it is practical.

18. Zombie Dude

Found this video today and I think the guy makes some really good points that have me a bit disappointed with the direction Prometheus went and what Scott is trying to do with the franchise. It also makes it more apparent how much of a visionary Giger was and that Alien wouldn't have been half the classic it is today without his involvement.

I actually really like the biomechanical idea as it makes sense with what we see in the first film and could have lead to some proper horror with terrifying visuals if they went down that path for the prequels.

Workshed likes this.
  19. Franco

Franco Weekender

As a side note: in the Prometheus Blu-ray documentary it's stated that they tried to make the Space Jockey look as a true weird ET (elephant-like and stuff) but somehow every try they ended up with something that was funny rather than strange or mysterious as it should be.

And I do agree that they stole a lot of mystery to the Alien universe by making the Engineers human-like and all that instead of trying something much more strange.

Zombie Dude likes this.
  20. Workshed

Workshed a.k.a. Villyan Shit

Covenant tells a very familiar Alien story while continuing to reach beyond the means of all Alien sequels/prequels. As a Prometheus fan and apologist, even I can say that its weakest points were the musings on Very Big Topics like the existence of life--you know, a topic that is pretty tough to tackle while also making room in the runtime for chest-bursting aliens. In Covenant, Scott doesn't quite learn his lesson, as the film opens up with a flashback treatise on what it means to meet one's maker, and then, after thankfully dropping the topic for about an hour, it's picks right back up as
    android fights android
    , spouting dialogue that even Fassbender can barely sell.

What works, however, is everything else. Yes, the plot is full of familiar Alien elements, like incredibly stupid cosmonauts who doff helmets and air filters when exploring strange new planets, poking at spore-filled bulbs and immediately inhaling. And sure, the life pods somehow are built both the capacity for spontaneous combustion and fire-proof glass. But the cast is full of the usual grimy, hardened characters that Scott loves to pit against one another, the effects are stellar, and the gore is aplenty.

I had fun with the film, even if it felt well-tread. I'm not sure what Scott is trying to do with the franchise at this point, by churning out these crisp-looking films that mostly follow the same story template, but now that we know that
    Shaw is the original host "mother" and David is the "father," so to speak,
    perhaps Scott will move away from answering life's big questions and focus again on the thrill of the chase.

Last edited: Jun 5, 2017
    othervoice1, Steel76 and Zombie Dude like this.