Alien: Covenant (2017) (aka Prometheus 2)

Discussion in 'General' started by mclay18, Mar 25, 2014.

1. Zombie Dude

Zombie Dude Well-Known Member

I find it funny that they apparently couldn't make it work. Not sure how much I believe them about that. I think Scott was probably really pushing the creation angle.

2. Workshed

Workshed a.k.a. Villyan Shit

Right. It makes sense that the Creators would make man out of their own image: humanoid. But agreed that the mystery is lost and a lot less interesting when it's just humanoids creating humanoids. Although, I suppose it does provide a neat tie to humans creating androids in their own image. So...shit, I think I just defeated my own premise, ha ha.

Last edited: Jun 6, 2017
    Zombie Dude likes this.
  3. Zombie Dude

Yeah what Scott is doing isn't terrible per say but it's definitely lacking Giger's visual influence. That part makes me pretty sad.

Last edited: Jun 6, 2017
    Workshed likes this.
  4. Workshed

Agreed.

Zombie Dude likes this.
  5. ImmortalSlasher

ImmortalSlasher Active Member

othervoice1 likes this.
  6. Natas

Natas ....on the warm side of the dooooooor

Movie.....fucking........blows. One of the most boring flicks I've seen at the theater in quite some time.

dave13 likes this.
  7. othervoice1

othervoice1 Well-Known Member

While a very mediocre effort that dragged in parts I still enjoyed it. But it definitely is not in the ballpark of the original Alien or Aliens

Zombie Dude likes this.
  8. dave13

dave13 Well-Known Member

It didn't engage me as a standalone picture.
    It didn't work as a prequel to Alien.
    It didn't satisfy as a sequel to Prometheus.

3 strikes...you're out.

Any one of those qualities would have made this a positive experience in my eyes. But it was too dull and disjointed to be entirely enjoyable as a stand-alone (although I will admit to enjoying all the blood and violence in the second half). It only muddied the waters more in terms of adding to the Alien backstory. And it completely torpedoed the interesting ideas set up in Prometheus.

I suppose I'll pick it up at some point. But I'm shocked to say that I think I like Prometheus better.

And the "twist" ending was obvious, stupid, and completely unnecessary. I love a good downbeat ending, but this wasn't that.

Natas likes this.
  9. Zombie Dude

Whilst I got enough enjoyment out of Covenant for a first time viewing I think a major letdown is how badly the character's are written. The original Alien wasn't a dumb SciFi but Scott or whoever's been writing this and Prometheus keep insisting on having some of the stupidest people ever go on these space trips. Not only does it make the character's mostly unlikable and uninteresting but it makes us as the audience feel removed from the experience because you're sitting there wondering why you feel more qualified then these apparent space explorers. The whole things been turned into a bit of a brain dead slasher in space. Alien is meant to be so much more than that.

The other frustrating part is it feels intentionally dragged out for Scott's world building ego. We still know pretty much jack shit about what's going on and how this all leads to Alien. It's been made over complicated when it probably could have all been said and done in one film. It also feels too different and separate from the original film to care to much about it either. I need more Giger imagery and claustrophobia. Everything feels way too clean in these new films.

othervoice1 and Natas like this.
  10. fceurich39

fceurich39 Well-Known Member

Anyone getting it on bluray this Tuesday? I am probably gonna get the target digibook that looks pretty sweet. Bestbuy has a steel book and Walmart has a tshirt

othervoice1 likes this.
  11. Myron Breck

Myron Breck BOO!!! Gotcha!

Do any of them sport exclusive special features?

12. buck135

buck135 Kanamit

Since Fox has essentially been giving the Anthology blu-ray set away at $15-20 for the past few years, I'll wait awhile to pick up Covenant. If the film was 3D, I'd pick it up sooner.

fceurich39 likes this.
  13. fceurich39

fceurich39 Well-Known Member

Nope just the target digibook has some info but no exclusive disc or digital special features.

Myron Breck likes this.
  14. Steel76

Steel76 Well-Known Member

http://movieweb.com/alien-covenant-2-may-not-happen-fox-reassess-franchise/

"Ridley Scott is already working on the script for Alien: Awakening, the proposed title for the Alien: Covenant sequel. Reportedly, that movie would be getting us up to the point of the original Alien and finish this prequel trilogy. Though, during the press tour for Alien: Covenant, he said that he could imagine making as many as six more Alien movies."

Six more movies?! :D
    The guy is 80 years old, and might drop dead any minute now.

I say, finish the prequel trilogy, and then pass on the torch to someone else.
    Let Neill Blomkamp make the Aliens sequel instead.

15. Workshed

After Covenant, I agree. Scott, while stating that he is moving the franchise forward--although, really, he is moving it towards the beginning--just seems to be spinning his wheels from a storytelling standpoint. It's the same thing over and over.

Steel76 and Zombie Dude like this.
  16. Steel76

I must say that, even though I really enjoy Covenant, re-watching both prequels, back to back, I kinda think that Prometheus might be the better movie.
    Prometheus have better actors/characters, and a bigger more epic story, with more impressive sets, practical creature FX etc.
    The characters in Covenant feels so bland in comparison. Though Fassbender stole the show once again as David.
    Though as an pure Alien movie, Covenant sure is the best since Aliens.

It's too bad, that they don't release an extended version of Covenant, since those extra scenes are great, and flesh out the story a bit.
    I really liked the scene with the crew before they go too sleep, and the scene with Shaw.
    But maybe we'll get an extended re-release in the future?

17. Marclar

Marclar Member

I just have one afterthought after watching it a couple of days ago.

David the old Prometheus android should not have cut his hand off to appear as Walter. Given the attentiveness of the crew, he could have just hid the hand behind his back. Would have worked.

Last edited: Aug 11, 2017
  18. sinister

sinister Member

This.

Watched it tonight. It starts off mediocre, shows some potential for maybe 5-10 mins and then turns to total garbage for the remainder.

sade and Buechlers_beard like this.
  19. Steel76

Some deleted stuff I found on youtube.
    The image has been shrunk to avoid copyright strikes.

This one is really interesting:

Zombie Dude, Workshed and othervoice1 like this.
  20. Anaestheus

Anaestheus Well-Known Member

Well, I finally sat down and watched this as well.

On the positive side, it certainly didn't piss me off as much as Prometheus did. But, it also felt like a lazy rehash of best moments from all of the previous films. The main actress was the weakest of the lot and really doesn't hold up to the franchise. The alien designs felt much less imposing than previous incarnations. Though it was coherent, the story telling felt scattered, as if the different acts all came from very different scripts.

There certainly were good bits and, overall, the lessening of "mystery box" storytelling that annoyed me in Prometheus did make for an enjoyable film. But, it was hard to not compare it to the previous films as it borrowed so much from them. As flawed as it was, Prometheus at least felt like an original story.

And, while I won't call this a criticism, the origin of the alien kinda undoes a lot of the philosophical atmosphere of the original. The original presented this somewhat Lovecraftian idea about mankind being small and insignificant in a universe that is ready to kill them without a second thought. But this new story, with David as their creator (or at least engineer) presents them as a step in the process of man's hubris in creation, i.e. man arrogantly creates David -> David arrogantly creates alien. And, while I won't say that's a bad story, it is a story that I am rather bored of hearing. That Lovecraftian vibe was a big part of what I loved about the original, so this explanation does disappoint me.