Alien: Covenant (2017) review

Discussion in 'Reader Reviews' started by thing, May 11, 2017.

1. Zombie Dude

Zombie Dude Well-Known Member

So I did end up seeing Covenant last night and found it quite enjoyable for the most part. Visually it was beautiful, and I also thought most of the main characters were quite enjoyable. It's pretty clear to see Scott is building towards a bigger universe with this movie so don't expect a lot of answers just yet. I was taken aback by how violent and nasty some of the kills are here. It's very bloody at times which left me unsettled. No issues for me with the creation symbolism and that side of things, I actually found a lot of that quite interesting. The last segment of the movie does feel a bit rushed and character development is scarce with a lot of the crew members.
    James Franco is in this for example but you don't even get to meet his character before he is burnt to death in his cryo-sleep chamber at the beginning of the film. He also makes an appearance in the "Last Supper" scene that was release early on YouTube but isn't present in the film for some reason. Same with the other scene they released, not in the film.
    I'd watch those two clips/scenes on YouTube before seeing the film as I thought they helped expand of a few things going on in the film that may be a little confusing otherwise.

Character wise, one of the standout characters for me was definitely Walter. He has some great scenes and is quite likeable. Daniels was also great in her role and takes on a very similar role to Ripley which was nice to see.

Also worth mentioning is that the final Xenomorph has some inconsistencies with the one seen in Alien.
    For starters the eggs seem much larger. The chest burster doesn't come out as a worm like creature but instead a miniature form of the grown Xenomorph and it all happens a lot quicker than in the original film. Not sure if this means it's a slightly different breed or if Scott is making new lore here.
    It definitely gave me a lot to think about once I left and I don't think it's anywhere near as bad as some reviews would have you think. I recommend it and am curious to see where Scott goes with the next one

fceurich39, Steel76 and buck135 like this.
  2. dave13

dave13 Well-Known Member

I guess I'm just a hard-to-please whiner. I was disappointed by Prometheus because it was a beautiful film that made no sense and seemed to contradict what we knew from Alien. But then I started looking forward to a sequel because I figured it might actually explain Prometheus. Now we get what appears to be more of an actual Alien prequel...and I'm disappointed, because now what I want is a sequel that will elevate Prometheus. I guess I'll never be happy, no matter what they do. I'll still see it, though.

m@ggot likes this.
  3. Zombie Dude

I get what you mean. Scott has said there is room to do a film between Prometheus and Covenant and I can see where it would fit in having now seen the latter. It also seems like things are purposely being left vague to explain later down the line as Scott seems to be envisioning a larger cinematic universe of sorts. He mentioned having another trilogy planned after this one if it all goes to plan. I guess time will tell but I'm interested to see what happens and where this all goes (other than to the beginning of the original Alien).

m@ggot and Steel76 like this.
  4. Steel76

Steel76 Well-Known Member

Sounds good!
    Most reviewers and friends, that I trust, and share the same taste with, have given it good to great reviews so far.
    So I don't think it will disappoint me :)

Zombie Dude likes this.
  5. x666x

x666x Well-Known Member

I saw it a few nights ago and thought it was ok. There are definitely some nice violent moments in it. Liked it a lot better than Prometheus.

fceurich39 likes this.
  6. fceurich39

fceurich39 Well-Known Member

Got movie cash with buying invasion of the body snatchers bluray at Walmart store so if u want to see it check out Walmart for select titles with movie cash titles they had their are
    Killer klowns
    Species
    The fly
    The happening
    Alien,aliens,alien,3 alien resurrection
    Prometheus
    Alien quadrilogy
    Avp and requiem

7. dave13

dave13 Well-Known Member

Jesus Christ, how long does Scott think he's going to live?! He's an old man, I don't think he has that many more films left in him...

8. Zombie Dude

Haha, well credit to the guy, he seems to be in very good shape. I think it's possible for him to do that many.

9. ImmortalSlasher

ImmortalSlasher Active Member

It seems like Ridley Scott is more interested in making money from an Alien series than putting together something on the level of the first two movies. I like Prometheus. But it seems like they don't have a clear plan for these new movies other than to make a bunch of them.

10. Zombie Dude

I actually felt the opposite after seeing Covenant. I feel like there is a bigger plan that's playing out and we're only getting little tastes of this bigger picture at the moment. I could be wrong but that's how it felt to me.

Steel76 likes this.
  11. Steel76

The movie is finally opening tonight in Sweden :)

I'll be back with a short review afterwards.

Zombie Dude likes this.
  12. Steel76

Alright, boys and girls.
    Just got back from the theater.

Was it as great as the first two? Of course not, and that will never happen.
    But this is, too me, the best Alien movie in 30 years.

After being majorly disappointed with Alien 3 (though the extended cut is okey) and pissed off by Alien Resurrection (nothing could save that fucking turd), I finally got what I wanted.

It continues the Prometheus storyline, and feels a lot like that one at times, but it also feels like a proper Alien movie, and it sure delivers when it comes to the gory Xenomorph mayhem. And the "birth" scenes was pretty juicy.

The crew isn't as memorable as the ones in the first two, but they are likable enough.
    Though Fassbender once again steals the show.
    I really loved
    David as the mad scientist, doing crazy experiments

As usual with Scott's movies, we get great cinematography, and huge practical sets.
    There was also some nice gothic styled sets in a couple of scenes.
    The score was also really good, with themes from both Prometheus and the first Alien included from time to time.

If you didn't like Prometheus, you might not like some of the stuff in here, but you should still give it a chance.

I loved the final scene in the movie, and I hope Scott continues from there in the next one.

I'll give it 4 out of 5!

Zombie Dude and fceurich39 like this.
  13. ImmortalSlasher

ImmortalSlasher Active Member

I skimmed over a few reviews and they mentioned some of the stuff in Covenant compares with the garbage in the Star Wars prequels. Here is one in particular -

http://www.aintitcool.com/node/77869

I don't know if I'll see this one in theaters. I'm still looking forward to seeing it. But I hate being disappointed. Prometheus wasn't that bad at all to me until the last reveal scene.

chancetx and thing like this.
  14. Zombie Dude

If you liked Prometheus I can't see you disliking Covenant. I was sceptical but came out pleasantly surprised. It's not perfect but it's it's got a lot to like and is visually stunning. I'm definitely glad I caught it in cinemas.

I also enjoy the Star Wars prequels for the most part. There's some bad dialogue, poor choices and average CGI but that aside I think they're quite enjoyable.

Swampthing82 likes this.
  15. chancetx

chancetx Active Member

I agree with pretty much everything in the review you linked. There's plenty of gore but never a moment of real suspense. Katherine Waterson is terribly bland in the lead role. I suppose they were trying to create a different type of heroine than Ripley but a mousy, sad-eyed character isn't very compelling to watch. I tend to actively dislike Danny McBride but he was the only remotely interesting or memorable character aside from Fassbender's dual androids. And has anyone noticed how a good chunk of Covenant plays out almost exactly like Kong: Skull Island? I kept flashing back to that and wondering if both movies shared screenwriters (not according to imdb but there are often uncredited script doctors.)

I wouldn't discourage anyone from seeing it, necessarily, just keep your expectations in check. I have to admit I'm not particularly interested in learning about the Alien backstory/mythology and I haven't seen Prometheus. If you're more invested in exploring that type of thing you'll probably enjoy Covenant a lot more.

16. Myron Breck

Myron Breck BOO!!! Gotcha!

It's not classic, but I really enjoyed it. I really wish they'd made a direct sequel to PROMETHEUS instead of going full-on ALIEN-remake. The plot was full of holes, the new Ripley sucked, way too much CGI for the aliens...did I mention how much I enjoyed it? :D

On the plus side, it's gorgeous and violent and Fassbender is (almost) always great. As the article in ImmortalSlasher's link mentions, I wish the "flashback" that bridged the gap between the two films was a stand-alone feature. I assume it was the intention until all of the critical and audience whining about how PROMETHEUS wasn't enough like what we've seen repeatedly in the previous installments.

I don't sound like I'm giving a ringing endorsement, but I truly look forward to watching it again.

17. thing

thing Well-Known Member

box office results are in.. wump waaah

18. Zombie Dude

Opening weekend box office: 46.7 million USD

I won't pretend to totally understand how the box office works but that's apparently a good enough opening to warrant doing a sequel from what I hear. Good news.

19. Dave

Dave Pimp

$120 mil worldwide. It's doing okay business, albeit less than Prometheus.

20. thing

thing Well-Known Member

Yeah well prometheus under performed so they scrapped prometheus 2, so i dunno what they are gonna think about this one.. it cost a little less to make but is also making less.. they rebooted the reboot..now what