Alien: Covenant (2017) review

Discussion in 'Reader Reviews' started by thing, May 11, 2017.

1. thing

thing Well-Known Member

opening weekend was $36 million.. way down from prometheus

http://www.boxofficemojo.com/weekend/chart/

2. hots4

hots4 Dogs In White

120 million worldwide opening weekend, me thinks that is very respectable compared to cost.

Zombie Dude likes this.
  3. Dave

Dave Pimp

That is kind of up to Fox...

Considering it doesn't open in China for a month, I'm sure they won't be making any decisions soon.

4. thing

thing Well-Known Member

its been open 2 weekends outside ameica, they get roughly 50% back from ticket sales in america and quite a bit less than that in most foreign territories.

5. Zombie Dude

Zombie Dude Well-Known Member

I pulled up that figure from Google. Not sure where they get their info from for box office grossing.

6. rxfiend

rxfiend Joe Six-Pack

Saw it tonight. I loved Prometheus. The whole idea of aliens "seeding" the Earth (if you will), I found very fascinating. Unfortunately this new movie was not really a direct sequel. I think they quickly wrapped up the storyline to that movie and while the flashback was a neat sequence, I thought it took the easy way out. I realize the majority of people did not like the previous movie, so I guess they had to go a new direction but I would have much rather seen Prometheus 2 than what we got. But as the movie is, I think it's pretty good, just wasn't what I was expecting.

Myron Breck and fceurich39 like this.
  7. thing

thing Well-Known Member

Red letter Medias half in the bag review of Alien: Covenant has them liking Prometheus more in retrospect after seeing this mess

8. Matt89

Matt89 Well-Known Member

I don't really understand why this movie is getting so much hate. I can understand people being a little letdown since it didn't directly follow Prometheus (which I actually couldn't stand, I could barely sit through it). I felt like this was the first Alien movie in DECADES to actually feel like an Alien film. And considering how shit Alien 3 and Alien Resurrection were, I'd say Covenant still ranks near the top. Did it do anything new? Not particularly. But that angle hasn't worked well in the past when they decided to take the Alien franchise in different directions. I felt like this one really worked as a film. Not the best Alien movie but far far from the worst.

~Matt

9. hots4

hots4 Dogs In White

I enjoyed it, I thought it followed on quite well, I can understand people being upset by questions posed in prometheus and the lack of answers, some of the set pieces were good, but not a fan of the overuse of CGI, the alien looked good for the most part, 'births' looked good but most of the attacks were horrible, blurry, unconvincing messy CGI.

10. maybrick

maybrick Well-Known Member

I've been saying this for years, but no modern Hollywood studio relies on box office receipts anymore. It's great for ballyhoo if they make a lot in theaters, but most major films have already made back the vast majority of their budgets on licensing overseas and merchandise before a single ticket is even sold. Give the studios some credit.

Steel76, Matt89 and Zombie Dude like this.
  11. Natas

Natas Theres no such thing as the boogyman

Caught this last night. A few words come to mind.

Boring
    Uninspired
    Talky
    Boring
    Long

I really didn't enjoy this one. I almost had the entire theater to myself. Double fisting beers. Still wasn't enough. Very disappointed. I even had my expectations in check....... but man, what a snooze fest. The scenes of "action" were short and uninspired to say the least. Very generic, quick cam CGI blurs. Zero effects looked practical. There was never any sense of dread or isolation. Uneventful climax..... I honestly can't come up with any redeeming qualities. Waaay too long of a running time. 2 hours felt like 4.

I did see a badass trailer for 47 Meters Down though. That movie looks awesome.

Last edited: May 25, 2017
  12. russweiss

russweiss Well-Known Member

Neither my wife or I liked this one. The actors just kept doing too many ridiculous (dumb) things to the point that I wanted them all to just die. Personally I like Resurrection more and I've seen that twice so I'm not just going by long term memory. Very disappointing in that nothing new was given to the series.

sade likes this.
  13. thing

thing Well-Known Member

My ranking (only including best cut of each film) not including the AVP films as they were made non cannon by Prometheus.
    Alien (theatrical)
    Alien 3 (Assembly Cut
    Aliens (theatrical)
    Prometheus
    Alien Covenant
    Alien Resurrection (theatrtical)

14. thing

thing Well-Known Member

15. hots4

hots4 Dogs In White

I just watched some the deleted scenes on YouTube, anyone else seen them?

Gotta say they should have left them in, I believe they were removed for pacing reasons? The wrong scenes went in my opinion.

Zombie Dude likes this.
  16. Zombie Dude

Zombie Dude Well-Known Member

Yeah they definitely should have kept them in. Especially that beginning scene before they go into cryo-sleep.

17. hots4

hots4 Dogs In White

Definitely, would have brought an emotional touch to the burn scene, that was lacking in the release print.

Zombie Dude likes this.
  18. othervoice1

othervoice1 Well-Known Member

I finally saw this today and while I did not love it I still enjoyed it. It was just lacking something - and did stall in a few parts but overall it was a decent entry in the series. I think it also helped that I rewatched Prometheus a couple days ago before seeing this (which didn't hold up as well for me on the 2nd viewing).

Personally I think every entry after Aliens is pretty subpar. Id give this one a 7 out of 10 after the first viewing . Much like Prometheus it was not exciting or interesting enough for its 2 hour run time - but at the same time I was still engaged and not looking at my watch. Here is how I would rank them

Alien 10/10
    Aliens 9.5/10
    Alien Covenant 7/10
    Alien 3 6.75/10
    Prometheus 6.5/10
    Alien Resurrection 5/10

Last edited: Jun 6, 2017
    Katatonia likes this.
  19. Katatonia

Katatonia Hellbound Heart

That is pretty much the order that I would rank the films also. I saw Covenant last week and really enjoyed it. There were some plot holes and such, but I enjoyed it far more than I did with Prometheus...and thankfully it didn't the same type of lame ending that one had.

20. Anthropophagus

Anthropophagus Well-Known Member

Huge fan of the original, and of the franchise overall as well. I liked Prometheus quite a bit but this one really did not connect with me. It felt overlong and dull, the CGI and acting were pretty awful as well. The practical effects of the first two films just gave the aliens such weight, stature and menace, something sorely absent from this film. One of them looked like it escaped from Pan's Labyrinth.
    Disappointed, just not for me.

Natas and Zombie Dude like this.