Alien Quadrilogy coming to Blu-ray

Discussion in 'High Definition' started by Katatonia, Feb 21, 2009.

1. Kolpitz

Kolpitz Purely and Simply Evil

The transfers are all being supervised by the directors / cinematographers so I doubt they would allow that to happen. I know that Cameron was never happy with the look of Aliens but I doubt even he would endorse a DNR mess of a transfer.

2. crikan

crikan Well-Known Member

Your kidding right? There's more than 5 hours worth of unreleased video on this set. This set now includes "about 60 hours of special features and over 12,000 images, including material from the legendary early 1990s LaserDisc release, the "Legacy" release and the Quadrilogy DVDs."

From blu-ray.com

3. Chomp

Chomp Rudest Motherfucker on HD

So these are going to be new transfers? Is there a link that specifies that? Everything I’ve been reading has led to me believe that they’ll be using the masters from the “Quadrilogy”. The trailer for it even has the same introductions. Plus I don’t like the sound of “"reinvigorated for an intense Blu-ray high-definition viewing experience”. What the hell does that even mean?

It’s a little reassuring that the same guy in charge of the Blade Runner Blu (probably the best Blu Ray Disc currently on the market) is also working on this, but I am still a little skeptical. I’d love to preorder this, because it sounds like a great package, but I don’t want to spend that kind of money if the transfers are going to resemble that of the new Predator Blu. Especially when the Back to the Future Blu-Ray set is due out the same day. As well as Maniac Blu and Cannibal Girls. What an expensive day!

Last edited: Jul 16, 2010
  4. Chomp

Fuck it, I preordered it. If I seen any screenshot comparisons like the first one we saw of Arnie in the Predator thread, I’m canceling this thing.

5. X-human

X-human I ate my keys

Of everything being released that day, Back to the Future is the one I'd worry most about with the transfers. They screwed it up royally the first time 'round, and Universal has been the most consistent when it comes to making DNR fuck ups.

This is also the same day that Criterion's drop shipping even more titles, making it the most jam packed release date I've seen in years.

6. Nailwraps

Nailwraps Well-Known Member

7. bigdaddyhorse

bigdaddyhorse Detroit Hi-on

8. burieddeep

burieddeep Dr. Obrero

I'm really only interested in owning the first film on BD. Is Fox releasing the first one on a standalone disc? If not now, I'm sure at some point they will.

9. Chomp

So wait...the US is getting a LE Edition with the egg packaging? Is there an Amazon link for that?... all I see is the regular standard.

10. bigdaddyhorse

I can't find it listed anywhere either, but it is mentioned on many dvd and BD sites and most have teh same picture from the link above. It says made by Sideshow Collectables but nothing about being exclusive to them.
    Guess we'll have to wait and see. I think the egg looks too cool not to have, as long as it's somewhat reasonable. I won't drop over $200, no fucking way.

11. Grim

Grim Well-Known Member

Fuck yes. I don't care if it makes me flat broke, I'm owning this set.

I see that that link also mentions Rocky Horror Picture Show coming out on blu this year. Sweeeeeeeeeeet.

12. aoiookami

aoiookami Demon Fetishist

Man, it's tempting but I'm still on the fence with this one; this would count as the third time I've bought the entire series, maybe when its cheaper sometime down the line...

13. buck135

buck135 Kanamit

I was wondering that as well. Damn Fox. VHS, Legacy DVD Set, Quadrilogy and now this. Question is, what happens when the prequel comes out?

14. killit

killit Active Member

I've been searching for two weeks bigdaddy, here you go:http://www.alienanthology.com/ , in the last place I fucking looked! Pre-order is up 149.99! It won't cost you 200 but damn near it for us in California with our 9.75 or whatever tax. But I couldn't resist, I NEVER buy crap like this and will most likely sell it once the novelty wears off, but I MUST have it! hahha

15. Zombie Dude

Zombie Dude Well-Known Member

This set looks epic. Don't think I'll be able to afford it yet though.

16. crikan

crikan Well-Known Member

See here, but this is a series that is worth owning the best version and unlike other franchises, this one has had a significant upgrade with each release. This doesn't appear to be a quick port of the Quadriligy DVD set which is what I expected. We vote with our dollars, so if you are a fan of this series and you are pleased that they added many hours of unseen content and improved the PQ (let's hope), then show Fox your appreciation. If not, wait until it's on sale. I only wish other films/franchises received the same treatment.

17. Chomp

Awesome...I just canceled my Amazon pre-order and ordered the Egg Packaging set. It indeed looks awesome. Also if you sign up for their foxconnect.com thing you get $15 off + a free shipping option. Total was $134.99. Its still a little more than I'd like to spend, but hopefully it'll be worth it.

18. killit

killit Active Member

Also forgot to mention, the special pre order price of 149 ends 7/25. So heads up

19. bigdaddyhorse

Fuck, all I'm getting on the link for the egg is "page cannot be found", the standard link is fine. This better not fucking be sold out already, or I'ma have to kill some motherfuckers somewhere.

Fuck! I just remembered this is Fox we are dealing with, no fucking way can I pre-order from them as they do nothing but rip me off. Any mail in offer from them has never came (Simpsons season 6 box, one of those buy 3 or 4 and get one dvd free back in the day), they're lucky I'm not still boycotting them! I have to pray this is available elsewhere, I cannot trust Fox to order from them, no fucking way! They cashed my Simpsons check 6 years ago and never replied to one fucking email.

Last edited: Jul 23, 2010
  20. killit

killit Active Member

I'm sorry, that sucks, I'd say call em (I'll look for the number if you need it) but it sounds like you dont wanna do business with them. Who knows if it will officially be available anywhere else, there is certainly enough time!