Alien Quadrilogy coming to Blu-ray

Discussion in 'High Definition' started by Katatonia, Feb 21, 2009.

1. killit

killit Active Member

ok FOX is RETARDED (NO offense to retarded people) y'all were right..SO fn idiotic. So i'm moving oct first, we're talking months in advance. They have no way to change my address, "it's simply impossible" and since they are no longer offering coupon discounts I have to pay more to order the egg again. So basically I'm going to have to wait around til i get a "it's shipped email" and go stalk the UPS driver and my old address because UPS won't place the package for pickup (it has to be delivered first) and unfortunately my driver just leaves packages at the front door. so fucking stupid.

2. crikan

crikan Well-Known Member

Allow me to over-react for a moment. Aliens on Blu will be an unwatchable mess. It's been Predatorized. Game Over, Man. Game Over.

James Cameron Talks Aliens Blu-ray Remaster

The filmmaker said: "It's spectacular. We went in and completely de-noised it, de-grained it, up-rezzed, color-corrected every frame, and it looks amazing. It looks better that it looked in the theaters originally. Because it was shot on a high-speed negative that was a new negative that didn't pan out too well and got replaced the following year. So it's pretty grainy. We got rid of all the grain. It's sharper and clearer and more beautiful than it's ever looked. And we did that to the long version, to the 'director's cut' or the extended play."

3. Chomp

Chomp Rudest Motherfucker on HD

Well...here's hoping that along with Avatar's new 3D technology, Cameron also created some new digital restoration technology that removes film grain yet retains film detail and image clarity because this news made my heart sink.

And I was one of the people that didn't think the new Predator BD was that bad. It looked good in places, but when it looked bad, it looked extremely bad.

I'll still keep my pre-order, but I tell ya, this news has me itching to cancel. Hopefully there will be an early reliable review to help sway a decision.

4. Any Love for Canada?

I tried to order the egg the other week when it was first annouced, and sure enough Fox wont ship to a Canadian address. Amazon.ca and .com are only listing the blu-ray regular set at the moment. Does anyone know if the egg version will become available on either site closer to the release date?

If not...I hope Fox goes the usual route and DNR's the shit out of it! Enjoy your waxy looking Xenomorphs people!!!

(Sorry I just really want the damn egg version!)

5. x666x

x666x Well-Known Member

YES! I am going to love it.

6. First off - Predatorized :lol:

What happened to James Cameron seriously. F me. I can't wait for the reviews to come in and under video all that is stated is:

"To Quote Dutch: 'Your one Ugly Mother F#*@ER!!!'"

Next he is going to go and Lucas the whole thing. Get ready for 2012 with the re-release of Aliens rendered in shitty 3D!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

7. You are a horrible horrible human being. I can't believe I have to share an office with you.

8. bigdaddyhorse

bigdaddyhorse Detroit Hi-on

It could be awesome. Some parts of that Predator mess were amazing looking, I'm hoping this gets it right and the whole thing is good. I trust Cameron doing it way more than some half-retarded interns at Fox, which is what I think Predator got.

9. Grim

Grim Well-Known Member

I'm not too worried. James Cameron is an egotistical control freak who would slaughter an entire preschool class before allowing any of his films to look like shit. If they did fix things up, I'm confident that it won't be overkill.

10. MorallySound

MorallySound Mad Mutilator

I'm also not too worried as Aliens is my least-favorite of the franchise and I probably won't re-watch it that much. It just gets worse and worse for me after each viewing.

11. x666x

x666x Well-Known Member

Bask in my superior outlook on all matters.

Oh, and welcome to the site!

12. Piranha 2: The Spawning. Nuff Said. If he's going to go back tinker might as well start at the beginning with what needs it!

13. crikan

crikan Well-Known Member

I actually feel the same way. Predator was a troubled production plagued by inexperience. The Ultimate Hunter Edition looks terrible when images are grossly out of focus. Those flaws were once hidden by a massive amount of film grain. I feel confident that Aliens has much better camera work. I do like the look of film grain so I'm a bit disappointed but I am hopeful it won't be utter trash like the Predator UHE.

14. crikan

crikan Well-Known Member

People like you need to be rounded up and studied. We need to find a cure for this affliction before all films are ruined. /joking

Last edited: Aug 17, 2010
  15. x666x

x666x Well-Known Member

I like how you edited the post. Was there cursing in it originally?;)

Honestly, I wish I can get past the grain. I am not a revisionist, it's just a film characteristic that when there is too much, I can't get past it.

It's just like distortion in music, at one point, there can be so much that it distracts from the song, if not even drowns it out. Yet, I love punk, hardcore and metal.

Last edited: Aug 17, 2010
  16. Thank you, Thank you, Thank you!!!!!!

17. This coming from the guy that says and I quote "I like stuff that is shot at 24P as it gives it a really cool film look" - AKA The FILM GRAIN!!!!

Man everytime I read a post like that and I end up having to watch Carl Weathers Waxy face in the Predator Ultimate editon, I just want to put my foot through the TV!:fire:

19. crikan

crikan Well-Known Member

No cursing, just poor grammar. ;)

20. x666x

x666x Well-Known Member

Nope. The 24p has a certain glow that film has. Just like if you try film look something in After Effects. And yes, SOME grain can be added.