Aliens vs. Predator - Requiem [MERGED]

Discussion in 'General' started by Mortis, Jan 27, 2006.

1. _pi_

_pi_ Peace, bitch

I have the strangest feeling that I'll enjoy this film tremendously, flaws and all. I had enough fun with the "first" AvP to buy it, and the unrated trailer for this was popcorn perfection. So I hope hope hope that I'll like it! Gonna watch it tonight, I think :D

2. _pi_

_pi_ Peace, bitch

And now that I have seen it, I can safely say that it wasn't very good at all.

Don't get me wrong, I enjoyed it. Not "tremendously" as I had hoped, but I still thought it was fun and that it had a couple of nifty shots/scenes/ideas.

I did like it that they tried to take time to introduce the characters, make us care about them etc. The problem was that the characters were so badly written, so those extra minutes of introductions seem pointless in retrospect.

It's true that a lot of the movie was too dark, but even still I thought some of the cinematography was kind of cool.

What I didn't like at all was the score, or rather the semblance-of-a-score that was basically written from temp-cues from the other films. The composer didn't even make an attempt to write his own music. He just took the temp-score and changed a few notes, so basically the AvP-R score sounds like a mixture of all the Alien-film scores, only sub-par and boring. It also made the scenes that were direct rip-offs from the older films stand out more. And really, do you want anyone to compare your action scenes to Cameron's work in Aliens?

So, even if the film failed on a lot of levels, I still thought it was a perfectly ok way to spend 90 minutes on a Sunday night. I did enjoy the first AvP more, though.

3. fceurich39

fceurich39 Well-Known Member

does the 2 disc dvd contain both versions of the film? i do know the blu version does

4. Myron Breck

Myron Breck BOO!!! Gotcha!

It was pretty "blah." Didn't hate it, but it made AVP seem like a fucking masterpiece of action/suspense. Wow.

5. fceurich39

i guess the reviews are really mixed when comparing both AVP films some say this is miles better than the first AVP and others say it is far worse

6. DrHerbertWest

DrHerbertWest For Your Health

Just watched this tonight. Well, it's a mixed bag for me. If this could be a "re-do" effort from the mess that was the first film, then I would say hats off to The Brothers Strause. I enjoyed it much more than the first movie and I don't feel embarassed to be a fan of the franchise after watching it. The introduction to the characters was sort of eye rolling (loser wants hot girl, hot girl has jock boyfriend, jock boyfriend gets mad easy, prisoner is friends with cop, etc.) but I actually rooted for a few of them. Some deaths surprised me and some of the turns the story takes surprised me.

Some of the bad news? Well I had a feeling of familiarity the entire time watching it. I'd see one scene and be reminded of Alien. I'd see another and think of Aliens. I'd see another and think of Alien 3 and Alien 4. I saw scenes that instantly reminded me of Predator & Predator 2 as well. I'll post a couple of those "familiar feelings" here in spoiler tags:

-When the alien breathes against the waitress' face as she cries, I thought of Ripley in Alien 3.

-When the jungle music cues played during shots of the Predator, I kept thinking a Jamaican voodoo druglord was right around the corner.

-When the military mother drives the tank towards the hospital with the other survivors, I was reminded of Ripley's intense SUV skills in Aliens.

-When the alien dives into the school's swimming pool, I thought of Alien: Resurrection.

-When they show the skinned cop hanging from the tree, even with the angle they used, it reminded me of Predator.

Aside from those minor things, I liked it as an action flick. Lots of fun, cool gore/deaths, mindless excitement.

7. rxfiend

rxfiend Joe Six-Pack

No. The second disc contains a "digital copy" for portable media players. I guess people aren't smart enough to do dvd rips themselves? lol

Watching some of the behind the scenes footage, I can see why they kept the movie so dark. If it was brighter, it'd definitely show off how cheap some of the suits looked.

8. Zombie Dude

Zombie Dude Well-Known Member

I thought it was a far better effort copaired to the first. I hear there's a third film in the works, hopefully that's better again:)

9. thrashard76

thrashard76 Guest

So is Best Buy the only place to pick up the stell book version? Are there any store exclusives anywhere else besides BB?

10. rxfiend

rxfiend Joe Six-Pack

Speaking of a third movie, on one of the behind the scenes segments, the director mentioned that they were originally going to show the alien homeworld at the end of the movie, but decided to explore that in the next film. I really hope they place the third movie in the future rather than present day.

11. Zombie Dude

Well if they actually explore the alien homeworld it'd have to be in the future. I'd really like to see that aspect explored.

12. fceurich39

same here i liked way better than AVP

13. bigdaddyhorse

bigdaddyhorse Detroit Hi-on

I didn't see any steelbook versions advertised locally and Best Buy didn't have any (I picked mine up there for the bonus comic). Is there a steelbook somewhere? The sets with the extras and digital copy kinda look like steelbooks in pictures, but are just reflective cardboard slipcovers.

14. Zombie Dude

Is that a comic version of the film? Sounds cool:)

15. Myron Breck

Myron Breck BOO!!! Gotcha!

Speaking of which, I was pretty elated with how restrained they were with the CGI in this movie. I didn't expect to see many costumes/suits so, for better or worse, it made me very happy.

16. bigdaddyhorse

bigdaddyhorse Detroit Hi-on

I haven't read it yet, but glanced through it. It's definitly not the movie, just a one-shot called "Deadspace". Art looked cool though.

17. Zombie Dude

Nice:D I wouldn't mind seeing some screen caps from it. No rush though;)

18. onebyone

onebyone Guest

I swear this movie was so dark that you could really just listen to the action on screen and just make up your own awesome Alien Vs Predator movie in your mind. It's likely as close as you are ever going to get to seeing one as this surely isn't it. Turistas's cave scenes were downright bright compared to nearly any given scene in this stinker.

Although the movie was devoid of the many things that bothered/bored me about the first one, it was also devoid of a visual picture for long stretches at a time so I say they both are about equally horrible and disappointing. You wouldn't think a movie about Aliens fighting Predators would be so hard to at least make fun, but alas it seems to be.

Last edited by a moderator: May 1, 2008
  19. Hellbilly

Hellbilly Active Member

Word. Gets the "so dark like Humongous (1982)" spirit award.
    Anyway, this was a rather flat affair. There was more "fun" action in the first PG-13 rated VS. flick.

20. Rockmjd

Rockmjd Guest

I was really disappointed in this and The Hills Have Eyes 2 :(