Aliens vs. Predator - Requiem [MERGED]

Discussion in 'General' started by Mortis, Jan 27, 2006.

1. YottNik

YottNik Pay the price!

Finally got around to seeing this tonight. Like others have said, it's darker than all get out. But once I cranked up the brightness on the TV, I actually had a good time with it. Definitely better than the last AvP... okay, that's not saying much. But still, it wasn't nearly as awful as I expected.

2. Matt1977

Matt1977 Guest

I was really disappointed in this to, although not as much as the first.

3. aoiookami

aoiookami Demon Fetishist

watched the DVD last night, and I enjoyed it even more the second time around, it might have been because I had just finished the abysmal Captivity, but because of it I was reminded of the importance of "thats cool!" scenes, even in crap movies like this one, and for me this movie had alot of them. It's definately a title that will have repeat viewings. And I'm glad it did well in the box office in the hopes the next entry will take us into space, into the Preds homeworld..

Anyway, I AM going to bitch about the shit dvd, there are pretty much zero extras or suppliments worthwhile, aside from the usual commentary and trailers. But for an Alien/Pred movie, where the hell is the making-of? Suits, creature effects, computer effects?? Hello?

4. Zombie Dude

Zombie Dude Well-Known Member

You should have probably gone with the 2 disc set if you wanted all that;)

I'm still a little disappointed that the Predalien didn't get nearly enough screen time, and I would have liked to see more of its evolution. It's supposedly meant to be the new Queen, but in my opinion lacks in size.

In the pic below you can see the Predalien's tail is a spiked club; another thing I don't recall seeing in the film.:(
    [​IMG]

Here's a cool shot that better shows here crest. I don't remember this being in the movie.:(

Attached Files:

5. dwatts

dwatts New Member

That shot might well be in the movie - except that darkened it. Darkended it A LOT. :D

6. Criswell

Criswell New Member

You know......... aside from a few silly things, it was much much better than I thought and soo many critics gave it credit for.

Very dark in tone (killing a kid first up for instance), and im most cases steered away from most character cliches.

7. fceurich39

fceurich39 Well-Known Member

i still don't know why alot of people say this is horrible compared to the last avp film by paul anderson i think requiem is far superior to that dreadful flick

8. Shannafey

Shannafey Don't Monkey With Me!

South Florida, But Far from the Hell that is Miami
    I hated this film!!

9. aoiookami

Damn, I thought the 2-disc version was just that stupid "digital copy" thing they are doing now. Serves me right for not reading carefully enough I guess:(

10. Zombie Dude

No, you’re right. The second disk is a digital copy, but the first disk has extra bonus features not included on the one-disk edition.

11. Mok

Mok Family is Forever

I thought this movie was pretty kick-ass. I've composed a list of the top 10 reasons why (in no particular order):
    1. It's old-school. Remember when horror movies with monsters barely showed the monster? Yeah, everyone complains about the darkness, but they forget their roots. This movie takes it back to those days when you rewound a segment of a film because they showed the creature for a split second. Plus it saved the film-makers a bundle on CGI. :cool:

2. Within the first 15 minutes this film lets you know it means business. Some kid and his dad are having a Hallmark moment on their hunting trip when all of a sudden they get raped by aliens. :cool:

3. Head-shot city. In AVPR you get some great head-shot action. The kind you get up and cheer for. I'm not kidding. I got up and cheered. :cool:

4. One Predator. One BAD-ASS Predator. If the Predator in this film were human, he'd be the drill sergeant from Full Metal Jacket. This fucker starts out missing one of his facial tusks which automatically lets you know that not only has he had some great ass-kicking adventures, but he's also probably seen his share of Predator pussy. :cool:

5. Bongo drums. :cool:

6. The Predator throwing star scene. This scene is the kind of awesome that video game developers strive to create when using "rag doll physics". :cool:

7. The aliens find a great use for homeless people. :cool:

8. You get to hear the wonderful sound of the Aliens crying out in agony like they did in the movie Aliens. :cool:

9. The Alien that was born from the Predator host (that's right, fuck the name "Predalien". It sucks. Until someone finds a cool new name for that thing, I'm just going to describe who I mean) pukes eggs into a mother who was about to give birth (which we know because her water broke about five seconds before the Alien that was born from the Predator host decided to suck her face while dispensing eggs down her throat.) Can you say "Hard-fucking-core"? :cool:

10. An entire nursery of babies gets wiped out. Yes, we CAN say "Hard-fucking-core"! :cool:

For those reasons alone, none of you should have anything but praise for this film.

Last edited: May 7, 2008
  12. aoiookami

I agree Mok, I was surprised how much flak this movie got, despite the fact it did away with the biggest complaints people had with the first one (pussy preds, human team-up, not enough gore, not true to the mytho's etc. etc) And there were SO many fun nods to the original Alien and Pred movies (the bongos, I grined at that too :)), another cool one the male lead's name is Dallas ;)

13. Mok

Mok Family is Forever

Yeah that and they introduced "Yutani" at the end. In the first AVP they had Weyland being played by Lance Henriksen. In the original Alien films, the corporation "Weyland Yutani" is the company that built the atmosphere processor on LB426 and that wanted to use the Aliens as bio-weapons.

Here's a screenshot from Aliens:
    [​IMG]

I like that they're keeping with the original films' mythos like that. At first I was thinking these fils undermined the original ones (Alien and Predator) but they DO keep things at the very least, plausible.

Last edited: May 8, 2008
  14. dwatts

dwatts New Member

I remember those days. THEY SUCKED. :D

That was usually done to a) Disguise the lack of decent FX, or b) To cause suspense as to what the monster looked like.

Well -a) this had a budget, and b) We already know what the monsters look like..... so f*cking get on with it! :lol:

15. Mok

Mok Family is Forever

I didn't know what the Alien that was born from the Predator host looked like. And yes, they disguised the CGI FX in darkness so they didn't have to hear whiney cry babies yammer on about how it, :cry: "doesn't look organic enough!" :cry: "I hate CGI!" :cry: "I have a valid opinion!" :cry:

16. bigdaddyhorse

bigdaddyhorse Detroit Hi-on

This is Fox's new marketing stategy it seems, and it doesn't make a lick of sense to me. Using the same first disc and putting bonus stuff on the second does make sense, but wasting a whole second disc for a small digital copy and having the "exclusive stuff" on disc 1 is assine. That means they have to have 3 disc masters instead of 2. Live Free or Die Hard has the digial copy along with the extras on disc 2, so you know they fit. This and Juno have the second disc wasted. Even better is those digital copies won't work with most mp3 players. I was looking at the back of the 3 disc Amereican Gangster the other day, and the small print said the digital copy is not compatable with iTune, Ipod, Zune and some other portable mp3 players. WTF is that about? That's well over 95% of the market being uncompatable!:fuck: Guess they are only for laptops and I wouldn't be at all surprised to find they have spyware included. Studios are so scared of bootlegging that soon we won't be able to watch anything except in the theater. Plus with how easy it is to rip a dvd, the digital copies are a stupid gimmick that need to die a quick and painful death.:confused: Again, if I was in charge of the studio I'd make these gimmicks at least work for most of the people I was trying to sell to. Noone wants to lug their laptop around anymore, it's all about iPhones and small portable media players. This idea would've been O.K.4-5 years ago, but they are so far behind the times I can't say if it's funny or sad.

17. Ash28M

Ash28M Active Member

Saw this last night. Wasn't too impressed, it was OK i guess, nothing I'll remembered an hour later. I really don't see a point of these VS films. I haven't really cared for any of them.

18. Kolpitz

Kolpitz Purely and Simply Evil

I can't speak for any other digital copies, but the ones for Family Guy: Blue Harvest, Juno and Aliens vs. Predator: Requiem are compatible with iTunes, iPods and, I believe, iPhones. As for the ease of ripping DVDs, there are A LOT of people, such as myself, who don't know how to do this. Or don't have the software to do it. Or both. Sure, we could probably learn and / or download the software but why bother if a studio's going to do the work for us? I don't know how to rip DVDs so I can't say how easy or fast it is. But, I bet the initial learning / downloading process takes at least a little bit of time, which I don't have. I agree that paying more money just for a digital copy on a second disc is asinine but if there are extra features as well then I'm not going to bitch and moan just because the studio decided to throw in a free digital copy disc.

19. aoiookami

I dont get the digital copy thing either, I guess its for people too dumb to rip the dvd to their other devices?? Or people who are too dumb to read the back of the case to make sure it IS the better version and have to end up buying 2 copes to get the one they really wanted.... (i.e., me :( )

20. Zombie Dude

I'd never even heard of this digital copy crap until the AvP-R release. It makes no sense to me either. DVD's aren’t hard to rip once you know what you're doing. I say they should just stick to the 2nd disc for special features.
    You can download DVD Shrink of the web, and there's heaps of walkthroughs for it.