All six Star Wars films finally headed to Blu-ray

Discussion in 'High Definition' started by MorallySound, Aug 14, 2010.

1. TheDreamMaster

TheDreamMaster New Member

Actually, there were plans to do 9, and Kurtz himself has explained several times what 7-9 were going to be. Essentially, most of the elements from those films (Luke's sister, final confrontation with Palpatine) were wedged into ROTJ. I have no doubt that Lucas was making it up big time as he went along, but there were definitely plans for 7-9.

Anyway, I'm buying this. No one should be surprised at the lack of the theatrical versions. Doesn't make it right, but I will also say that they will show up...sometime. Probably as anamorphic DVD quality extras. ;)

2. maybrick

maybrick Well-Known Member

Kurtz was all for more sequels, but he was also quite a vocal critic over the years about a lot of things, in particular his dislike for prequels. It's also interesting to note how much darker the series would have been had Lucas been the one to leave. Return of the Jedi would have seen the death of Han Solo and the Rebellion left in tatters. But George insisted on retreading old ground with a second death star and giving the first trilogy a happy ending for the kids buying the toys. What a waste of potential.

3. Matt89

Matt89 Well-Known Member

That pretty much sums up George Lucas. The guy's been riding the success of Star Wars for 33 years and not even attempting to direct anything new. Okay, he was the producer of Indiana Jones, but even Spielberg (although many people don't like his newer films) moved onto other projects afterwards.

~Matt

4. dave13

dave13 Well-Known Member

yeah, i've seen star wars enough too. no desire to ever see it again.

5. Shannafey

Shannafey Don't Monkey With Me!

South Florida, But Far from the Hell that is Miami
    I was at Star Wars Celebration V for 2 days out of the 4 and have to say, it really renewed my love for the films! What a fun event!

6. KR~!

KR~! The Apocalyptic Kid

I couldn't care less about the new ones, but I would buy a bladerunner style box set of the 1st 3 in a heartbeat.

Lucas has money coming out of his ass, plus he will make it all back and then some, since everyone wanted the original versions in 1080p forever. So that is a lame ass excuse.

7. Undeadcow

Undeadcow New Member

I am unrealistically hopeful the Dark Empire comic series will be adapted into the last 3 films; I have an active and very dorky fantasy life.

8. buck135

buck135 Kanamit

We all have expectations for these films and the future for this franchise. I hate to say it but while Lucas is still of sound mind and control of Lucasfilm, we will never get the originals remastered, 7,8,9 or anything else worth a damn. That being said, I am optimistic about Force Unleased II. I'll buy the Blu-Ray box set (the deleted ROTJ scene got me fired up), and I'll even see them all in 3D when released. I'm old enough that I saw them in their initial theatrical releases. I played with the toys as a tyke. The films were a big part of my childhood. I still can't watch them on Spike though (two minutes of movie, five minutes commercial, repeat). This Blu-Ray set has just been announced, we don't know what's been included (specifically), but we know that the theatrical releases and holiday special aren't included because of one mans stubbornness. Would it really kill him to just try to satisfy as many of his fans as possible instead of himself? I don't recall anyone asking for these changes. But hey, he can do whatever he wants right?

9. Stige

Stige Active Member

the priginal untampered with but remastered 4-6 WOULD have made me buy it but now ....................nah dvd's are good enough

10. SaxCatz

SaxCatz New Member

I thought that the problem was that Lucas is NOT of sound mind. Who else would cut up a classic film with no disregard for all of the fame and adulation it brought him...

11. Alan Smithee

Alan Smithee Member

I do not own any version of Star Wars other than my laserdiscs, and I will not enable Lucas by buying this new set. Its the original unaltered trilogy or nothing for me.

12. buck135

buck135 Kanamit

Well, I think at the time he meant well, but now he's just plain mad.

13. Workshed

Workshed a.k.a. Villyan Shit

I could be convinced to buy Empire on BD, otherwise, no thanks. The new footage is painful and reminds me too much of the prequels.

14. The Chaostar

The Chaostar Johnny Hallyday forever

How much money must he pay his ex-wife to get the rights of the old films back? Too much, I guess.

15. TheDreamMaster

That old rumor isn't true. Marcia Lucas has nothing to do with the originals not being released; if that were the case, we wouldn't have seen the LD transfers show up on DVD a few years back.

16. f.ramses

f.ramses sociopath

I thought it would be nice to have the trilogy on BD however this unsurprising news means that I won't buy it. It's long annoyed me how he went back and edited the movies and it annoys me even more that he tries to bury the original versions, it's as if he lives in a fantasy world where these versions of the movies don't exist. It would be nice if we could send him a message but I don't think it's possible. We, including George Lucas, are all well aware of the vast number of people who will just bend over and take it because they don't care enough to boycott these shitty versions; that's why this edition is like this in the first place. Yeah, George Lucas is an ass but it's really the fault of the majority of Star Wars fans for putting up with his bullshit in the first place. People could whine all they want but if the sales don't suck then he's just going to stay the course. (...and no, I did not purchase any of the edited versions...)

17. TheDreamMaster

I suspect the sales have remained strong for the Star Wars Special Editions because 90% of the population out there either isn't aware of the changes or just don't give a shit. If every super hardcore Star Wars nerd pledged not to buy SE only releases, Lucas would still make money. I will gladly accept the blame; the SEs in DVD (and soon, Blu) quality is better than no Star Wars at all on either format. Way she fuckin' goes, but I am also 99% sure the originals will make it out someday.

18. spawningblue

spawningblue Deadite

I'll be grabbing this first day! I actually like a lot of the changes Lucas did on the Special Editions, minus of course Greedo shooting first. Can't wait to see these on Blu and with all new extras including, finally, deleted scenes. Hopefully they'll at least include the different scenes from the theatrical versions in the deleted scenes section. I miss that cheesy ending where the Ewoks sing and dance!

19. TheDreamMaster

Yeah, I actually don't have that many problems with the SEs: about one or two complaints per movie, really. Hate Greedo shooting first and the extra Jabba scene in IV, hate how the pacing is utterly destroyed at the end of ESB, and the Jedi Rocks scene in ROTJ is shit.

I will say that the new ending for Jedi is better than the original, which is why I always watch the SE version of it, "Jedi Rocks" be damned.

20. spawningblue

spawningblue Deadite

Yeah those are pretty much the only scenes I have problems with as well, but I like all the improvements Lucas made as well. A lot of people seem to forget those and instead complain about the few mins. they don't like. I personally like how you can actually see Cloud City outside the windows. I like the correct colour of the light sabres. And I too think the new ending on Jedi is overall better although like I said, I wish they would at least include the Ewok singing ending as an extra as its so awesomely cheesy! Mostly all the little changes I really like. What did they change at the end of Empire though?