All six Star Wars films finally headed to Blu-ray

Discussion in 'High Definition' started by MorallySound, Aug 14, 2010.

1. Fistfuck

Fistfuck Slowest to 2000 posts

spawningblue, I think in the minds of most fans, fixes and improvements are beside the point. Many of us, myself included, would rather the films not be tampered with at all. As has been mentioned a million times before, Ridley really did right by the fans with his Blade Runner release. Even though the changes are barely noticable and could all be considered fixes and improvements, he gave the the audience the choice of watching the original theatrical version, which he has disowned. At this point, I really don't care what Lucas does to Star Wars: add more goofy CGI, slap phony 3D on it, convert it to B&W and then Ted Turner-colorize it. I just want to choice of watching the versions I grew up with.

2. TheDreamMaster

TheDreamMaster New Member

After Vader's confrontation with Luke, he used to tell the guy outside on the platform, "Bring my shuttle," now it's changed to a more stilted, "alert my Star Destroyer to prepare for my arrival." We then actually get footage of Vader flying to and arriving at the Star Destroyer for no reason whatsoever (and it's just re-used footage from Jedi). It's just really weird and jarring.

3. Anaestheus

Anaestheus Well-Known Member

Furthermore, these re-edits are not the films that started the phenomenon. And, regardless of whether the new versions are better or worse, they do not accurately represent a very important event in film history. Would we stand by Harryhousen if he wanted to redo all of his films with CGI? I really doubt it. And as wonderful and talented as Harryhousen's work was, it is nothing compared to the impact of the original Star Wars.

I'll even go so far as to say that I respect Lucas for revisiting his old films and trying to improve them. But to deny film history of one of the most important films in American cinema out of vanity is just arrogant.

4. Iron Jaiden

Iron Jaiden New Member

I think you hit the nail on the head here.
    I don't care if Lucas has the fuckin bartender shooting first, I just really wish he wouldn't carry on as if the original theatrical releases never existed.
    If Lucas wanted to blow fuckin minds he'd put out whatever goofy ass new versions of the movies he wants on Blu-ray and license the original theatrical cuts to Criterion and see what they could come up with since it's just "too expensive" to bother with those cuts himself.

I'd EASILY pay $150 for a Criterion box set of the theatrical cuts of the original trilogy with all the supplementals they could dig up. :banana:

5. Angelman

Angelman OCD Blu Ray Collector

I'll pass.

You've all said it better, but I have SD rips of the laserdiscs and when I do watch SW it is to recapture growing up in the late 70s/early 80s, not to remind me of being in college in '93. The spec ed's just feel wonky to me, distracting. Don't like the CG, don't like the new scenes - they feel "inserted" especially given I had seen each of those films at least 100 times befiore the spec ed's came out. It's his property and he can do what he wants - I just don't want the spec. ed's, plain and simple... in Blu or any other format - they are not my favorite version of the films.

6. buck135

buck135 Kanamit

I would pay $150 to see the bartender shoot first.

7. Kolpitz

Kolpitz Purely and Simply Evil

Something that is almost never pointed out when talking about the "Special" Editions is the censoring. I don't remember if it's present in Empire or Jedi but the first film has been edited to lessen the impact of laser blasts. There are several scenes now where we don't see lasers hit stormtroopers. When they cut to a stormtrooper, we just see him falling AFTER being hit by the laser blast, but we don't actually see the laser hit him.

8. buck135

buck135 Kanamit

I can't recall any stormtroopers being cut down in New Hope specifically. The one that sticks out in Empire in is when Leia gets one in the chest right after Boba Fett takes off with Han. Also, in Jedi after she gets shot in the arm, Leia shoots another one in the chest on Endor.

9. Kolpitz

Kolpitz Purely and Simply Evil

I don't have the exact list in front of me, but there is a fanedit out there called Star Wars: Episode IV 2004 Special Edition Revisited, done by a faneditor called Adywan. It's this really painstakingly done fanedit that includes the best bits from all three versions of the film, as well as brand new color-timing and even new CGI effects to smooth over some of the shitty CGI added to the 1997 and 2004 versions. And, one of the things mentioned in the list of edits is that the uncensored shots of stormtroopers being shot were added back in. At the moment, I only have access to this bit from IMDb:

For those of you who like the fixes and clean-ups from the 1997 and 2004 versions, definitely download this version. It still doesn't replace the original theatrical versions for me but it's better than the officially released "Special" Editions.

10. spawningblue

spawningblue Deadite

I would love to have the theatrical versions included as well, don't get me wrong, but at the same time I not going to miss out on the chance to see these movies is glorious 1080 HD and HD surround sound because they aren't included. I get fans being pissed, but boycotting this release is just silly, as it won't change anything, really... it won't! If you are true fan of any version of the movie, you would still buy this no matter what edition it is. Other then a few jarring scenes, mentioned above, most of the changes are barely noticeable.

Ahh, thanks for the info, but I'm guessing it doesn't bother that much as I didn't even notice it before.

11. KGBRadioMoskow

KGBRadioMoskow Well-Known Member

I'd double that, if he shot first, nailing C-3PO, and then it cut to him saying "We don't serve their kind here!".

12. maybrick

maybrick Well-Known Member

By that same token, though, buying this release won't change anything either, will it? But really, boycotting has nothing to do with it. I have the special edition DVD that has both versions and that is enough. I don't feel any pressing urgency to give Lucas yet more money to see his extremely sloppy CGI additions like the embarrassing-to-watch Jabba sequence in NEW HOPE in high definition. I just don't. And neither do a lot of other people.

13. KGBRadioMoskow

KGBRadioMoskow Well-Known Member

Gah...which part was "better"? The overblown "celebration across the galaxy" crap, the "retroactive continuity" replacement of episode III young Anakin ghost for the old Anakin, or the "new and improved" Ewok rave scene?

One rapid fire (rapid fire, but sadly not over and done rapidly enough) teeth gritting moment after another. Frankly I can't watch the end of the new RotJ without wanting to throw a brick through the TV and then pull out the circuits to use them to wire up Lucas's ballsack. A mass market liking for that kind of crappy film making, and re-making, is I'm convinced the reason my movie going choices usually seem to be ground glass rubbed in my eyeballs, blow torch heated ice picks shoved into my eardrums, and/or liquified brain matter dripping out of my nostrils.

14. Angelman

Angelman OCD Blu Ray Collector

Somebody doesn't like happy Ewoks.

15. Iron Jaiden

Iron Jaiden New Member

:lol:

16. spawningblue

spawningblue Deadite

To each his own i guess. You can skip past the Jabba scene and pretend like it was never added and still enjoy the rest of the movie in stunning HD. Yes, unfortunately you can't do anything about Greedo shooting first, but it's only what, a couple seconds of a 2 hour movie. Again most of the changes are small things in the background and the couple of bigger changes can just be fast forwarded through.

Damn I forgot they changed Darth Vader to the Hayden version. I'm not a fan of that at all! But yeah, I prefer the cities celebrating with the more serious music then the Ewoks dance number. Again, I do love the Ewoks ending, I just think it's more childish then the new ending, and other then nostalgia, I have a feeling considering how people judge the prequels and Jar Jar, that people would despise that ending if it came out now.

17. SaxCatz

SaxCatz New Member

Well...
    With the knowledge that the unmolested original trilogy will NOT be coming to Blu (at least anytime soon), I finally broke down & converted the 2006 letterbox DVD release to anamorphic widescreen and added the new discs to my 2004 SE collection. (yes- now I own 4 copies of the Star Wars Trilogy on DVD, 1 on laserdisc & 1 on VHS) It looks like this will be the best treatment the theatrical trilogy gets for quite some time.

18. buck135

buck135 Kanamit

http://www.blu-ray.com/news/?id=5689

For those who haven't heard, there will be a big announcement tomorrow regarding the Star Wars Blu-ray set. I'm expecting the inclusion of 3D or the classic trilogy (or both).

19. springjack

springjack New Member

I don´t think the 3D will be part of this set...

Lucas plans to release all the six films in 3D in the theatres and I don´t think he will be capable of converting and release the six in theatres in the span of less than a year.

Lucas :fuck: loves money.

20. Grim

Grim Well-Known Member

Pleeeeeeaaassseee give us the original versions in 1080p. He can include his bastardized revisions as well. I just want what I grew up with.