All six Star Wars films finally headed to Blu-ray

Discussion in 'High Definition' started by MorallySound, Aug 14, 2010.

1. Dobby

Dobby Well-Known Member

They need to reinsert chewbacca grabbing princess leia tits.

2. X-human

X-human I ate my keys

Lucas has been working on converting Star Wars into 3D for years now, since about 2006 I think. Lucas had some test footage done for some scenes, Peter Jackson did the same with King Kong. Cameron and Spielberg had some screenings too. What I'm sure we'll see is the SW series released on Blu-ray in 2D, the theatrical re-release in 3D soon after and then the 3D Blu-rays just after that.

If the first three are release unaltered in HD I'll consider a purchase. Beyond that I'll happily stick with the LD transfers he threw onto DVD the last time he released the original versions.

3. Nailwraps

Nailwraps Well-Known Member

OFFICIAL ANNOUNCEMENT!:

http://www.theforce.net/latestnews/story/SW_Saga_Coming_To_BluRay_In_September_135953.asp

"Pre-order Star Wars: The Complete Saga on Blu-ray Now!

The most anticipated Blu-ray release ever -- the Star Wars Saga -- emerges from light speed this September 2011. For the first time, all six of George Lucas' epic films (Episodes I-VI) are united in one complete set. Fans worldwide are able to pre-order now with online retailers.

Twentieth Century Fox Home Entertainment will release Star Wars in three distinct sets to meet the needs of every Star Wars fan:

* Star Wars: The Complete Saga on Blu-ray (9-disc Set includes all six films)
    * Star Wars: Prequel Blu-ray Trilogy (3-disc set includes Episodes I-III)
    * Star Wars: Original Blu-ray Trilogy (3-disc set includes Episodes IV-VI)

Star Wars: The Complete Saga on Blu-ray will feature all six live-action Star Wars feature films utilizing the highest possible picture and audio presentation, along with three additional discs and more than 30 hours of extensive special features including never-before-seen deleted and alternate scenes, an exploration of the exclusive Star Wars archives, and much more.

Star Wars: The Complete Saga on Blu-ray will be available for $139.99 US/$179.99 CAN and the Star Wars: Trilogy Sets for $69.99 US/89.99 CAN. Pricing for each set will vary by international territory.

Flanked by a legion of his finest Imperial stormtroopers, Darth Vader himself joined Twentieth Century Fox Home Entertainment President Mike Dunn at the Consumer Electronics Show (CES) to announce the release, vowing "The forces of the Empire will be at your disposal to assure the success of this endeavor."

"The Star Wars Saga is the most anticipated Blu-ray collection since the launch of the high-def format," Dunn said. "The epic franchise pioneered sound and visual presentation in theaters and is perfectly suited to do it again in the home, with a viewing experience only possible with Blu-ray."

"With all six episodes available for the first time in one collection, this is a great way for families and home audiences to experience the complete Saga from start to finish," said Doug Yates, Vice President of Marketing, Online, Distribution, Lucasfilm Ltd. "And with the quality of high-definition, Blu-ray provides the most immersive home experience possible."

"The Star Wars franchise has been the most anticipated Blu-ray release by Amazon's customers," said Bill Carr, Vice President of Music and Video at Amazon.com. "We think that Star Wars will be incredibly popular with our customers, and we expect pre-orders to be very strong."

Pre-order Star Wars: The Complete Saga on Blu-ray and the Star Wars: Trilogy Sets at Amazon.com today!"

And here's the trailer:
    http://www.starwars.com/video/view/001175.html

And here are the pre-order links:
    http://www.amazon.com/dp/B003ZSJ212?tag=rebelscumcom
    http://www.amazon.com/dp/B000PMLFRA?tag=rebelscumcom
    http://www.amazon.com/dp/B000PMG16U?tag=rebelscumcom

Happy day people, happy day! :D

4. maybrick

maybrick Well-Known Member

Yeah. Whoopie Shit.

5. buck135

buck135 Kanamit

What a waste. Couldn't they just have sent a press release stating that the films are coming out in September? We all understand that the picture and audio quality will be excellent. What is the "impressive" news?

6. fceurich39

fceurich39 Well-Known Member

will the holiday special be included also???

7. maybrick

Yeah. "The Most anticipated blu-ray release ever". I think that label qualifies more for the complete edition of METROPOLIS more than for the bastardized cuts of the Star Wars films that only the most rabidly die hard of fans are aching for.

8. Jeremy

Jeremy Closet SCREAM fan

To be fair, STAR WARS is a cultural phenomenon that is beloved to several whole generations of Americans from the baby boomers on down. It has a fanbase that includes huge numbers of people from every walk of life who would not be considered fanboys or hardcore sci-fi fans. And significantly, many of these people probably don't care much about the changes made to the original three over the years. So yes, I think most anticipated Blu-Ray release ever might not be too much of an exaggeration. The final restoration of METROPOLIS was hugely anticipated by cinephiles, but I don't see any signs that the public at large had much interest in it.

9. meljon

meljon New Member

I preordered mine 2 minutes after the announcement. I admit I'm one of those rabid die hard fan.

10. maybrick

It may well be a more popular series at the moment, but I still think that the amount of people pining out loud, "OMG, Why isn't Star Wars Episodes I-III out on blu-ray yet?" to be a relatively select group of people no larger than the seriously underrated groups of old timers and cinephiles who want the complete Metropolis. Most of us, at best would be like, "Star Wars is coming out on blu-ray? Huh." and then go on our merry way.

11. rxfiend

rxfiend Joe Six-Pack

Twentieth Century Fox Home Entertainment will release Star Wars in three distinct sets to meet the needs of every Star Wars fan:

So they're releasing the original versions of episodes 4 - 6? :lol:

12. Jeremy

Jeremy Closet SCREAM fan

If that's your criteria for judging anticipation, then I'd agree that METROPOLIS and STAR WARS are closer together than I stated. It is true that the number of people clamoring for Blus of the movies have been fewer and less vocal than the people who were clamoring for them on regular DVD. I remember when PHANTOM MENACE hit home video it was VHS only for a couple years and Lucas was making noises about how he wanted to release all six movies together, which would have meant waiting until the middle of the decade, as parts II and III weren't finished. And there was a lot of outcry about that and so eventually a compromise was worked out where the films would be released in chronological order and that got the first couple out the door at least. But yeah, no comparable outcry has been heard for Blu-Ray releases. That does not mean that the demand is not there - these are things are going to hit the top ten sales chart and stay there for awhile when they come out - and I tend to view anticipation and demand as one in the same.

13. Grim

Grim Well-Known Member

I'm hoping that they may be on the Complete Saga set. Three extra blu-ray discs could mean that or an absolute shit ton of extras.

14. rxfiend

rxfiend Joe Six-Pack

I'm leaning towards "shit ton of extras." There are all kinds of behind the scenes stuff that never made it to the DVD releases. I don't see the original versions being included at all. Then again, perhaps they'll do a seamless branching option on the blus, but if that was the case, you'd think it'd been mentioned in the press release. I'd like to see not only the original versions of E4 - 6, but also of 1 and 2. I think episode 3 was the only film unaltered for home release.

15. buck135

buck135 Kanamit

Three discs of extras equalling 30 hours is impressive, however I'd trade them for remastered versions the original theatrical films. Regardless, I'm buying the damned set.

16. bigdaddyhorse

bigdaddyhorse Detroit Hi-on

If they had the original versions, it would say so. Lucas is many things bad, but he fucking knows how bad most fans want the originals and enjoys playing his game of keep-away. He's still playing you, so fuck him!

17. X-human

X-human I ate my keys

No, you see, because a true Star Wars fan only wants the Special Editions. Only Lucas sanctioned fandom will be permitted, with a fee of course.

18. Katatonia

Katatonia Hellbound Heart

Hell yeah! I pre-ordered mine already as well.

Sure, the original untampered versions of the films won't be included...but that was almost expected.

19. rxfiend

rxfiend Joe Six-Pack

12 hours of those extras will probably be audio commentaries.

20. maybrick

Probably 24. I'm betting one with Lucas, the other with cast members.