All six Star Wars films finally headed to Blu-ray

Discussion in 'High Definition' started by MorallySound, Aug 14, 2010.

1. Nailwraps

Nailwraps Well-Known Member

2. buck135

buck135 Kanamit

3. shape22

shape22 Well-Known Member

Count me among the boycotters. I doubt my failure to purchase this set will have much impact on the latest amenities at Skywalker Ranch. But if enough fans make the same decision he'll get the message. I'd like to see these films in 1080p. But I'm not endorsing the contempt he shows for his fans with my cash.

4. dave13

dave13 Well-Known Member

I'm certainly no huge star wars fan, so i can't say im actually boycotting this release - my interest is just so low that i just don't care to buy it. that being said, if the originals were released, my interest (based on them being important culturally and the nostalgia factor) would be raised high enough for me to probably pick them up. so i guess we'll see. i don't own them in any form at the moment. whether i ever do is pretty much dependent on whether or not the correct versions are ever released.

5. JGrendel

JGrendel New Member

Lucas will do what he did last time, wait for enough people to bitch & then release another set around christmas time with all six movies & for a limited time offer you can get the original versions for more money.

6. Kolpitz

Kolpitz Purely and Simply Evil

The problem with this is that there still aren't proper HD masters for the original theatrical versions and I somehow doubt that Lucas will spend the money to create them. The last set were just shitty, non-anamorphic dubs (essentially) of the LaserDiscs. That isn't going to fly on Blu-ray.

7. Nailwraps

All Is Revealed!:

http://forum.blu-ray.com/blu-ray-mo...-prequel-trilogy-september-16-2011-a-637.html

"Bring home the adventure and share Star Wars™ with your whole family – when STAR WARS: THE COMPLETE SAGA comes to Blu-ray Disc from Lucasfilm Ltd. and Twentieth Century Fox Home Entertainment! To be released beginning on September 12 internationally and on September 16 in North America, the nine-disc collection brings the wonder of the entire Saga direct to your living room, where you can revisit all of your favorite Star Wars moments – in gorgeous high definition and with pristine, 6.1 DTS Surround Sound. Dive deeper into the universe with an unprecedented 40+ hours of special features, highlighted by never-before-seen content sourced from the Lucasfilm archives.

Special Features:

STAR WARS: THE COMPLETE SAGA ON BLU-RAY is presented in widescreen with 6.1 DTS Surround Sound. Special features include:

DISC ONE – STAR WARS: EPISODE I THE PHANTOM MENACE
    Audio Commentary with George Lucas, Rick McCallum, Ben Burtt, Rob Coleman, John Knoll, Dennis Muren and Scott Squires
    Audio Commentary from Archival Interviews with Cast and Crew

DISC TWO – STAR WARS: EPISODE II ATTACK OF THE CLONES
    Audio Commentary with George Lucas, Rick McCallum, Ben Burtt, Rob Coleman, Pablo Helman, John Knoll and Ben Snow

DISC THREE – STAR WARS: EPISODE III REVENGE OF THE SITH
    Audio Commentary with George Lucas, Rick McCallum, Rob Coleman, John Knoll and Roger Guyett

DISC FOUR – STAR WARS: EPISODE IV A NEW HOPE
    Audio Commentary with George Lucas, Carrie Fisher, Ben Burtt and Dennis Muren

DISC FIVE – STAR WARS: EPISODE V THE EMPIRE STRIKES BACK
    Audio Commentary with George Lucas, Irvin Kershner, Carrie Fisher, Ben Burtt and Dennis Muren

DISC SIX – STAR WARS: EPISODE VI RETURN OF THE JEDI
    Audio Commentary with George Lucas, Carrie Fisher, Ben Burtt and Dennis Muren

DISC SEVEN – NEW! STAR WARS ARCHIVES: EPISODES I-III
    Including: deleted, extended and alternate scenes; prop, maquette and costume turnarounds; matte paintings and concept art; supplementary interviews with cast and crew; a flythrough of the Lucasfilm Archives and more

DISC EIGHT – NEW! STAR WARS ARCHIVES: EPISODES IV-VI
    Including: deleted, extended and alternate scenes; prop, maquette and costume turnarounds; matte paintings and concept art; supplementary interviews with cast and crew; and more

DISC NINE – THE STAR WARS DOCUMENTARIES

NEW! Star Warriors (2007, Color, Apx. 84 Minutes) – Some Star Wars fans want to collect action figures...these fans want to be action figures! A tribute to the 501st Legion, a global organization of Star Wars costume enthusiasts, this insightful documentary shows how the super-fan club promotes interest in the films through charity and volunteer work at fundraisers and high-profile special events around the world.

NEW! A Conversation with the Masters: The Empire Strikes Back 30 Years Later (2010, Color, Apx. 25 Minutes) – George Lucas, Irvin Kershner, Lawrence Kasdan and John Williams look back on the making of The Empire Strikes Back in this in-depth retrospective from Lucasfilm created to help commemorate the 30th anniversary of the movie. The masters discuss and reminisce about one of the most beloved films of all time.

NEW! Star Wars Spoofs (2011, Color, Apx. 91 Minutes) – The farce is strong with this one! Enjoy a hilarious collection of Star Wars spoofs and parodies that have been created over the years, including outrageous clips from Family Guy, The Simpsons, How I Met Your Mother and more — and don’t miss “Weird Al” Yankovic’s one-of-a-kind music video tribute to The Phantom Menace!

The Making of Star Wars (1977, Color, Apx. 49 Minutes) – Learn the incredible behind-the-scenes story of how the original Star Wars movie was brought to the big screen in this fascinating documentary hosted by C-3PO and R2-D2. Includes interviews with George Lucas and appearances by Mark Hamill, Harrison Ford and Carrie Fisher.

The Empire Strikes Back: SPFX (1980, Color, Apx. 48 Minutes) – Learn the secrets of making movies in a galaxy far, far away. Hosted by Mark Hamill, this revealing documentary offers behind-the-scenes glimpses into the amazing special effects that transformed George Lucas’ vision for Star Wars and The Empire Strikes Back into reality!

Classic Creatures: Return of the Jedi (1983, Color, Apx. 48 Minutes) – Go behind the scenes — and into the costumes — as production footage from Return of the Jedi is interspersed with vintage monster movie clips in this in-depth exploration of the painstaking techniques utilized by George Lucas to create the classic creatures and characters seen in the film. Hosted and narrated by Carrie Fisher and Billie Dee Williams.

Anatomy of a Dewback (1997, Color, Apx. 26 Minutes) – See how some of the special effects in Star Wars became even more special two decades later! George Lucas explains and demonstrates how his team transformed the original dewback creatures from immovable rubber puppets (in the original 1977 release) to seemingly living, breathing creatures for the Star Wars 1997 Special Edition update.

Star Wars Tech (2007, Color, Apx. 46 Minutes) – Exploring the technical aspects of Star Wars vehicles, weapons and gadgetry, Star Wars Tech consults leading scientists in the fields of physics, prosthetics, lasers, engineering and astronomy to examine the plausibility of Star Wars technology based on science as we know it today."

8. maybrick

maybrick Well-Known Member

I watched the special edition of Star Wars yesterday with my son and I now think I could live with it... if only Lucas would take out that STUPID Jabba the Hut sequence! It doesn't work and should've remained on the cutting room floor. I don't care if it features Boba Fett!

Also, Empire Strikes Back is fine as is, but Return of the Jedi needs to have it's original musical number reinserted, and Hayden Christiansen at the end of the film removed.

9. buck135

buck135 Kanamit

I guess I was expecting more. 91 minutes of Star Wars spoofs? 84 minutes of people that dress up like Chewbacca? Would it have killed them to include the "From Star Wars to Jedi" documentary?

10. shape22

What? No new interview with George where he bashes all of the idiots like myself who want the theatrical versions instead of his improved original visions? This release is definitely less than comprehensive!

In all seriousness, how comical is it that Lucas has repeatedly cited the cost of hi-def restorations as an excuse for excluding the theatrical versions? Shout! Factory can afford to give us a top-notch Blu-ray release of Humanoids From The Deep. But poor George wouldn't make back the money it would take to restore the theatrical versions of 3 of the most profitable films of all-time for high definition? Boo hoo!

No one in history has done a better job of getting fans to repeatedly shell out cash for films they already have. I guess that's what bugs me so much about him crying poor.

Sorry to post another rant. Every time I think about him I get irritated all over again.

11. buck135

buck135 Kanamit

Nope. I think Anchor Bay holds the title of multiple dipping with the Evil Dead films. :) Of course I own all of those as well. It would have been nice if the Ultimate Star Wars set would contain the contents of the DVD's so I could sell them off, but no. Despite the previous announcement that the original theatrical versions of the films would not be included, I was hoping that this big "May the 4th" extravaganza would state otherwise. Now we just need to be told what fixes/changes have been made.

12. bigdaddyhorse

bigdaddyhorse Detroit Hi-on

Unless Greedo shooting first is your favorite moment, then you're basically fucked!:rolleyes:

Credit where credit is due. Anchor Bay has made a fucking couple mints on Evil Dead and Halloween. They have to be in the conversation. Maybe Lucas really runs Anchor Bay behind the scenes!

13. shape22

If we're talking about the number of re-releases, you're 100% right. No doubt Anchor Bay milked the Halloween and Evil Dead cows as hard or harder. But the money involved is nowhere near what Lucas has raked in from the repeated Star Wars releases. And at least Anchor Bay had the excuse of being a small operation that showered a lot of love and affection on some pretty obscure (other) films.

Lucas's marketing techniques have also been a lot more nefarious and under-handed. Who can forget the "last chance to own the original trilogy" VHS commercials or "the theatrical versions will never be released on DVD" proclamations? He has absolutely no scruples about misleading or disappointing his fans. Throw in the enormous sums of money that the Star Wars merchandising empire (pun intended) rakes in for Skywalker Ranch and it seems even more shameful. How much money could one person need?

I forgive Anchor Bay for trying to ring every drop of profit out of a few of the most beloved genre titles. They used that cash to finance great releases of movies I never thought I'd own in such high quality. And let's not forget that they recovered from the disastrous 1st release of Halloween on DVD with a truly extraordinary 2nd edition. That one is still the only release of the film to feature a transfer that was approved by either Carpenter or Cundey.

Lucas's sneaky tactics and complete lack of appreciation and empathy for his fans put him in a different bucket for me. When he relented and released the theatrical versions on DVD he put them out in a completely half-assed and technologically dated fashion--and in expensive editions that also included his revised versions to keep the price points high. Contrast that with the way Anchor Bay handled the initial re-release of Halloween.

When I look at my multiple copies of Halloween and Army of Darkness I feel like I helped finance the Bava box sets, C.H.U.D., and Herzog's Nosferatu. Thinking about Star Wars just makes me feel violated.

14. bigdaddyhorse

bigdaddyhorse Detroit Hi-on

Yeeeeeeeaaaauuuuuuuupppppppp!
    Well put my friend.

Lucas should just go ahead and change his name to Bohica.

15. Katatonia

Katatonia Hellbound Heart

So, they're not including the Empire of Dreams documentary from the 2004 set? Perhaps it's on Disc 8 (the "and more" part)

Agreed. Those changes are just BAD. The Jabba scene plays like a corny joke. There's a reason why it was deleted to begin with, CGI or not.

I don't really mind some of the newer changes like the expanded Cloud City effects, etc. But the replacement of the holograms, voices, etc. with the new actors remains shitty.

16. buck135

buck135 Kanamit

Yeah, that's what I meant. I agree with you in regards to the quality that Anchor Bay attempted to provide in their titles. The Hammer films they released especially. How many people were going to buy "The Viking Queen?" Yet they put everything they had in that release.

17. Nailwraps

18. dave13

dave13 Well-Known Member

Last edited: May 26, 2011
  19. Shannafey

Shannafey Don't Monkey With Me!

South Florida, But Far from the Hell that is Miami
    I keep all the old versions of movies I like anyway! There always seems to be something left off of an old version. You would hope that any new releases are "definitive" versions with everything on them, but it never happens! Also, the last DVD releases of Eps. 4-6 have the unaltered versions, so I'll never part with them.

My favorite film is Highlander. The 2 DVD releases have different extras and the UK Blu Ray I bought has even more stuff. I also have a bad VCD copy of an old Scifi Channel Doc that never showed up on any release.

20. Nailwraps