All six Star Wars films finally headed to Blu-ray

Discussion in 'High Definition' started by MorallySound, Aug 14, 2010.

1. buck135

buck135 Kanamit

Outstanding. I watched the Wampa scene at least a dozen times. I've always known it to exist, but haven't even seen a photo of it until now.

2. Shannafey

Shannafey Don't Monkey With Me!

South Florida, But Far from the Hell that is Miami
    Yeah, me too! That was cool!

3. dave13

dave13 Well-Known Member

looks like the packaging for the complete saga will be the same as that for the alien legacy. this pic was on the digital bits:

[​IMG]

Last edited: Jul 27, 2011
  4. Zombie Dude

Zombie Dude Well-Known Member

I hate the last scene in The Jedi Returns where Darth Vader's face is replaced with Anakin Skywalker's.

5. maybrick

maybrick Well-Known Member

I read an article recently about a mother who was talking about what makes her children scared. She lamented about how they weren't scared of Darth Vader like she was when she was young. Is it really any wonder? Lucas killed the mystique of Vader by making prequels featuring a young kid that other children could relate to. Once you know that the man behind the mask is nothing but a simpering man-child, what's left to be afraid of?

6. dave13

dave13 Well-Known Member

i have grand designs for any children i may have. they'll read the lord of the rings before they see the movies. and they'll see the original trilogy before they ever even hear of the prequels.

7. Fistfuck

Fistfuck Slowest to 2000 posts

I would actually venture to say the Cloud City effects are some of the most offensive changes, from a certain point of view (giggity). Bear with me as I try and put this into words. The original trilogy was amazing for all the countless reasons a billion people have listed over the past 35 years. But one that affects me deeply is the certain indescribable, tactile sensation a number of the effects had. They were a form of art within another form of art. Specifically, Ralph McQuarrie's matte paintings, when seen outside a window, accomplished something most films never have: to imply a world that exists outside that window. A wonderful, fully-realized world that offered the viewer the chance to fill in the blanks and use his imagination. A chance to continue to populate a universe in your mind after the final frame has flickered through the projector. I think this is why the expanded universe is so deep, and for a time, had a decent track record of quality. When you replace a beautifully illustrated matte painting with its CGI-counterpart, what you gain in immediate beauty and resolution, you somehow lose in imagination and possibility. There's nothing mysterious about a computer-rendered background. It just simply exists as is. This may be why I was so underwhelmed with vista after vista during the LotR films.

While the changes to Empire may not be as in-your-face, childish, or ill-conceived as they were in ANH and RotJ, I nonetheless feel something poorly-definded yet emotionally- and intellectually-tangible has been lost.

8. JGrendel

JGrendel New Member

That's face it most of the changes with characters was Lucas trying to cover his ass. He ripped off an idea from Kurasowa & put it in space. Hired writers to help him write stories for two more. Then 25 years later lied to everybody by saying he had a whole story writen & only took the later chapters to be made into films hoping to later make the beginning. He later hired more writers to help write the prequels, saw the fact that they didn't gel with the originals & went back to "fix them" so they would.

9. Fistfuck

Uhh... not entirely true. And what's your point?

10. X-human

X-human I ate my keys

Seems about right to me, although the changes to the original trilogy didn't really change the story. Besides the fact that he stole much more from E.E. Smith's Lensmen than The Hidden Fortress, that's about spot on.

11. maybrick

I've never heard of Lensmen, but I've seen Hidden Fortress before and any similarities between it and Star Wars are specious. There are two characters that are vaguely reminiscent of C-3PO and R2D2 but that's about all that I saw in the film.

Last edited: Jul 30, 2011
  12. JGrendel

JGrendel New Member

I really don't know if I had a point but I was explain my theory for why Lucas changed the original trilogy. Take it for what it is which is an opinion.

13. X-human

X-human I ate my keys

Not trying to be anal (too late), but let me crib some things from Wikipedia:

The film begins with two bedraggled peasants, Tahei and Matashichi (R2-D2/C-3P0) escaping the aftermath of a battle (opening battle sequence of A New Hope). They are attempting to make their way across the border to the Hayamata country where they lived (R2 and 3P0 on Tatooine), but they find it blocked by border guards (Stormtroopers) and are forced into slavery (R2 and 3P0 abducted by Jawas and sold to Luke's Uncle).

Tahei and Matashichi manage to escape (R2 runs away from Luke's Uncle). They meet and begin to travel with General Rokurota Makabe (Obi-wan). The general is trying to transport the princess of the defeated Daimyo family, Princess Yuki Akizuki (Leia, who is also strong willed and independent), and what remains of her family's gold (Deathstar plans) to a secret territory (Rebel base).

Along the way, Rokurota stumbles upon an old rival of his (Darthvader). Eventually, they are captured (in the Deathstar) and held by Rokurota's rival, who has been stricken with wounds by his lord after losing a fight with the General (Vader's a cyborg because of fight with Obi-wan and rebuilt by The Emperor).

They escape, and that all of the gold (deathstar plans) will been used to help build her kingdom back up (take down The Empire).

Lucas has been very clear about the similarities, and there are probably more. Not forgetting they're all swordsmen. EE Smith on the other hand is not cited by Lucas but the similarities are so common even some of the same names overlap.

Wikipedia:
    The series opens in Triplanetary, two billion years before the present time (A long time ago, in a galaxy far, far away...). The universe has few life-forms, except for the elder race of our galaxy, the Arisians (Jedi) and few planets besides their native world. The Arisians, a peaceful race native to this universe, are already ancient at this time and have forgone physical needs in preference for contemplative mental power which they have developed and refined to an exceedingly high degree (The Force).

Into this universe, from an alien space-time continuum, the Eddorians (The Sith) come, a dictatorial, power-hungry race. Dominance over these life forms would offer the Eddorians an opportunity to satisfy their lust for power and control. Although the Eddorians have developed mental powers almost equal to those of the Arisians (The Dark Side), they rely instead for the most part on physical power, exercised on their behalf by a hierarchy of underling races (clones/stormtroopers).

The Arisians, detecting the invasion of our universe by the Eddorians, recognize their rapacious, intractable nature. So they try to hide their existence from the Eddorians (Yoda and Obi-wan go into hiding) and then begin a covert breeding program on every world that can produce intelligent life (hide Luke and Leia), with the aim of producing a means to eventually destroy the Eddorian race.

Lensmen has so much in common I'll just point you to this: http://moongadget.com/origins/doc.html More similarities can be gleamed from http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Triplanetary_(novel) including the basic plot of pirates (rebels) fighting the real bad guys.

Between the two, there's not much left original in A New Hope. Additionally all the fighter footage was shot for shot recreations of WW2 dog fight footage from The Dam Busters (1955). The Empire Strikes Back was also originally almost identical to Flash Gordon before Leigh Brackett was brought on. For example Vader lived in a gargoyle castled under a Volcano. He also wasn't Luke father.

I try not to knock Star Wars too much, I enjoyed it in my youth and can still find things to enjoy in it now (especially with the Rifftrax) but I do take some issue with this idea that Star Wars came outta nowhere in 1977.

14. buck135

buck135 Kanamit

Lol. You guys crack me up. Four things trump all other issues with me. Jabba in A New Hope, Greedo shooting first, Jedi Rocks and Vaders pink lightsaber in Empire.

15. buck135

buck135 Kanamit

16. maybrick

I could dissect this synopsis line by line and argue how dissimilar that all sounds to Star Wars, but I don't want to because simply put I don't like Star Wars enough (or the time) to bother. I know that Hidden Fortress was an inspiration, but I also know that there were others. A lot of people talk as if Star Wars was a remake or ripoff of Hidden Fortress but I just don't see what they're talking about.

Last edited: Jul 30, 2011
  17. JGrendel

JGrendel New Member

Does no one else think that George Lucas is a hack?

18. buck135

buck135 Kanamit

I can't dismiss this question. I'm old enough to have seen the Original Trilogy during their initial theatrical runs. Growing up, there was nothing better than Star Wars and Indy. Lucas could do no wrong in anyones eyes. Then Willow. Then Howard the Duck. Then the Special Editions featuring Jedi Rocks. Then the prequels. Then the 2004 transfers. Then (gulp) Indy 4. So, is his track record good? No, but will I buy the damn movies again on September 16th? Yes. So, I can't call him a hack. :lol:

19. Fistfuck

No. Consider also THX 1138 and American Graffiti. The man was 3 for 3 in his initial directorial output. Then also consider Indy, Body Heat, Labyrinth, Willow, and Young Indiana Jones.

Much like the Dark Side, there's clearly an outside force which corrupted the man and began informing his reasons for creating. While greed has been the go-to excuse for some time, I think there was more going on in his personal life and mental state that began to guide his decisions. There has always been a streak of forced-humbleness belying narcissism in George. I think by the mid-90s he started to view himself as Godlike and infallible.

Every filmmaker's output wanes in quality over the course of time. Carpenter and Coppola being two prominent examples.

20. maybrick

George Lucas' best work (American Graffiti, Star Wars, Empire Strikes Back) all had Gary Kurtz as Producer. Once they got into an argument over the direction the Star Wars franchise was going with Return of the Jedi, the quality of his output went kaput. There's a fair amount of evidence that it was Kurtz' ideas that made Star Wars the success it became, and he never got the credit he was due. With THX 1138 I wouldn't be surprised to find out that Lucas' ass was kept kept in check by his far more experienced and talented executive producer, Francis Ford Coppola. So, is he a hack? Yeah, probably just a bit. His scripts, in and of themselves, aren't really anything special and his directing style really isn't either. It was probably his enthusiasm and drive more than his talent behind the camera that got him to where he had to be. He's a guy that got incredibly lucky making the right connections early in his career and he rode them straight to the bank.

Last edited: Jul 31, 2011