All the Boys Love Mandy Lane finally coming out in the USA!

Discussion in 'Slashers' started by fceurich39, Jul 28, 2010.

1. Shannafey

Shannafey Don't Monkey With Me!

South Florida, But Far from the Hell that is Miami
    Agree 100%

2. Zillamon51

Zillamon51 Member

The current issue of EW (the Summer Movie Preview) has this listed for August 30. No mention of who the distributor is.

3. scott71670

scott71670 Active Member

If the cast comes out for a premiere they'll all look like the parents of the kids in the film.

4. SickNick89

SickNick89 Member

I also saw it about 4/5 years ago via region 2 disc and just don't get the hype. The cast of characters are your typical dispicable teens that you hope die with not a likeable one in the bunch and the story is paint by the numbers. It has more in common with cheap, straight to dvd garbage than any kind of lost gem. It's more 'Forget Me Not' and less 'The Loved Ones',

Last edited: Apr 23, 2013
  5. CPT HOOK

CPT HOOK Well-Known Member

The thing that I loved about All The Boys Love Mandy Lane is that it's a simple and straight-forward slasher tale told extremely well. Those are rare these days.

The slasher film has become a punchline, and that's a shame. 90% of the slasher films being made are just so acerbic and laced with humor, as though the filmmakers are trying to show that they're above the material. They're not above it. Very few of the post-2000s have done the humor thing very well (Behind The Mask, Tucker & Dale, and Severance are a few of the rare ones that worked).

My favorite slasher films of the past decade have been the ones that keep a straight-face. Mandy Lane is one of those films. It captures a retro-essence while being very much in the now. Dark Ride would be another one of those films.

6. othervoice1

othervoice1 Well-Known Member

I think "the hype" is simply because this movie never got a theatrical release or even a dvd R1 release and its a pretty solid little slasher flick. I really enjoyed it - I wouldn't say its amazing but its still pretty darn good as far as modern slashers go.

7. booper71

booper71 Lord of the Thighs.

A long delayed slightly above horror entry that lost some luster due to it's being on the shelf for so long. Don't bill it is a new release just send it to the wal-mart bargain bin!

8. fceurich39

fceurich39 Well-Known Member

9. CPT HOOK

CPT HOOK Well-Known Member

The US blu-ray and DVD releases are now up for pre-order on Amazon. No date or details though, just a pre-order.

10. thing

thing Well-Known Member

I thought it was pretty damned average. It's release history has certainly given it a little more intrigue.

11. Mutilated Prey

Mutilated Prey Soul Stealer

$21!!! No. It'll be $9.99 one day.

12. russweiss

russweiss Well-Known Member

http://www.imdb.com/?licb=0.8744862168975511

I imagine this is getting some theatrical exposure to help hype the home video sales as well as the fact that Amber Heard is more well known now. I watched my import blu once and liked it well enough to keep the title but not enough to watch it again yet.

13. othervoice1

othervoice1 Well-Known Member

Has any information been released for the R1 release - such as any new extras ? I'm happy with my region free import from a few years back but just curious if this one will have any differences. I noticed they made Amber's face front and center on the cover of the R1 release - definitely selling it off of her increased semi-star power. I do find her absolutely beautiful - maybe never moreso then in this movie

14. buck135

buck135 Kanamit

She looks amazing in The Rum Diary.

15. Shannafey

Shannafey Don't Monkey With Me!

South Florida, But Far from the Hell that is Miami
    I paid less than $5 for the region free UK Blu-Ray!!

16. Hellbilly

Hellbilly Active Member

I guess we can say "finally" for those who never picked up the UK Blu.

17. Zillamon51

Zillamon51 Member

I actually saw this in a theater at the end of October. It's not very good. The motivations behind the murders make no sense. Overall, not worth the long wait.

18. Erick H.

Erick H. Well-Known Member

I saw it in D.C. at a little arthouse a couple of weeks ago and liked it.It's kind of an art film really,a slasher filtered through a sort of dreamy haze.Oddly the style of it reminded me of this years SPRING BREAKERS,a weird,moody take on a straight up genre concept.I enjoyed it but it's not for everyone.By the way,one of the stars,Anson Mount,now stars on AMC's HELL ON WHEELS.

19. SickNick89

SickNick89 Member

I picked up the UK dvd years ago and hated the movie. Just another horror film filled with unlikeable characters IMO.

20. Paff

Paff Super Moderator

Man, I don't know what you guys are talking about. This is a fun little movie! It played here for a week or so back in October, but I missed it. Watched it on Blu tonight. I really dug it! The cinematography was really outstanding, and it was a nice re-invent of the slasher flick. I liked the pacing of it, and the willingness to throw many of the slasher clich├ęs out the window (I.E., ending the film at daytime, revealing the killer's identity midway through, etc). It's different, and isn't that what we're always clamoring for??

I'll agree that the delay in the (US) release artificially built up some hype, but conversely, it built up some negative hype as well, which you can see in this very thread. I have the feeling if it got the 2006 wide release it should have, a lot of people here would be praising it a lot more. Instead, there's this "we had to wait 7 years for such a mediocre film" attitude going around.

On a different note, did anyone else notice a significant delay in the boot up time of the Blu Ray? It wouldn't start for me last night, so I watched a different movie instead, and went about updating my player's firmware today. Afterwards, I tried it again, and it still wouldn't start. I started filling out the Netflix "faulty disc" report, and then it finally went to the main menu. There was a full 3 minute delay (just a black screen) between the final trailer and the main menu!