All the Boys Love Mandy Lane finally coming out in the USA!

Discussion in 'Slashers' started by fceurich39, Jul 28, 2010.

1. Zombie Dude

Zombie Dude Well-Known Member

Well there's 2 threads for this film so I wasn't sure which one to post in (might need to merge them). Anyway, finally watched this last night due to all the old buzz it had and the controversy of it being shelved. Sadly it wasn't much to write home about. I found it dull and unfocused with a twist that doesn't make much sense. It was a real letdown. The characters were almost all unlikable which made this even more frustrating to sit through as it dragged along.

2. Paff

Paff Super Moderator

and the section I bolded is part of the problem. The "controversy" that caused the shelving was purely financial; the Weinsteins took a bath on the Tarantino/Rodriguez Grindhouse double feature, and so they decided to just not release another horror film. But when we hear of "forbidden fruit", some movie that they won't let you see for some reason, you start to build it up in your head that it's really mind-blowing. It's not. All The Boys Love Mandy Lane, a movie I do enjoy, is just a well-made slasher film. Far from earth shattering, but fun nonetheless.

3. Zombie Dude

Zombie Dude Well-Known Member

I actually didn't know anything about the film going in and wasn't thinking about its troubled release while watching it so for me that played no effect in my dislike for the film.
    I was actually expecting a rape revenge sort of flick to be honest so I was surprised to find out that was not case. After watching it I wondered if that would have at least made it a more interesting and focused film.

4. russweiss

russweiss Well-Known Member

This title is on Netflix now if anyone hasn't seen it.

5. Erick H.

Erick H. Well-Known Member

I actually saw it in the theater when it got it's very tiny release. Kind of an arthouse slasher hybrid. Thought it was okay.

Zombie Dude likes this.
  6. othervoice1

othervoice1 Well-Known Member

I enjoyed it when I saw it a few years back. Nothing new but I thought it was pretty solid.

7. x666x

x666x Well-Known Member

Saw it at TIFF and liked it. Others I know just thought it was ok.

8. Steel76

Steel76 Well-Known Member

Saw it many years ago.
    Just don't get the hype the movie got, as it was very forgettable.

Zombie Dude and Natas like this.
  9. Natas

Natas Is it October yet?

Spot on. I smelled that excuse of a "twist" a mile away. Forgettable is the best term to describe. Amber Heard is absolutely breath taking though.

Steel76 and Zombie Dude like this.
  10. CPT HOOK

CPT HOOK Well-Known Member

I still think this is one of the best teen slasher movies post-2000.

11. ImmortalSlasher

ImmortalSlasher Well-Known Member

I still haven't seen it yet. It's been on one of the cable channels but they still haven't put it on demand. Perhaps I'll have to DVR it next time. I did read that article with Johnny Depp where he talked about his problems. He changed another one of his tattoos. He used to refer to her as "slim" but changed the tattoo to "scum" which is pretty rough. But he should have known better. No marriage agreement and a woman who went around saying she was a lesbian. I still think she's pretty though. But that leaked video shows a manipulative person.

12. Anaestheus

Anaestheus Well-Known Member

I finally watched this one. I liked it well enough. It was a decent little low budget film with a good story. I can see why it would have caused a buzz in the festival circuit and, yeah, it probably would have had a decent little run had it just been released right away. However, I can certainly see how the subsequent hype and shelving would hurt its impression. I didn't think it really works as a slasher and it's probably to its detriment to think of it as such. It's more of a mean-spirited thriller that reminded me more of films like Massacre at Central High than Halloween or Friday the 13th. It's not really trying to build up tension the way most slashers do.

But, I still found the story, the acting, and the filmmaking in general to be far better than most big budget releases. I like the general "70s look" of the film. I thought the characters were well written and acted. And, I'm not really sure where people think it doesn't make sense. I thought it was all pretty well explained even though they definitely don't spend a lot of time on exposition.