All the Boys Love Mandy Lane

Discussion in 'Slashers' started by Cujo108, Jul 1, 2007.

1. Cujo108

Cujo108 Guest

It looks like the two upcoming films I've been most excited about (Danny Boyle's Sunshine and this film, All the Boys Love Mandy Lane) will both be opening on the same day. The following is from BloodyDisgusting.com:

I've been waiting and waiting for a release date to surface. The problem is, I've heard that it may be a limited release, which is what I feared would happen the moment the fucking Weinstein's got the rights. Also, why the shortening of the title? Talk about lame and pointless.

Anyway, here's a trailer:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=8z0WgWLA7OU

I'll keep my fingers crossed that it opens near me. If it doesn't, saying I'll be quite peeved would be an understatement.

2. Hellbilly

Hellbilly Active Member

Limited release is not a good sign. I just hope the movie is as good as the trailer, which I have watched last week.

3. _pi_

_pi_ Peace, bitch

I've been looking forward to this one too. The title alone is strangely intriguing (especially for a slasher) and this looks like an interesting variation of the genre. I just hope it's good!!

However, it can't possible be as good as the brilliant, brilliant Sunshine. That film is gold! Gold!

4. DrHerbertWest

DrHerbertWest For Your Health

Eh, trailer looks ok but I'd check this out. Looks like it could be another WB-teen horror film.

5. spawningblue

spawningblue Deadite

Yeah it looks okay, but looks more like a homage to the recent remakes like Texas Chainsaw then a homage to 80's slashers. Hopefully it ends up being good, as we need something decent out.

6. Ash28M

Ash28M Active Member

I saw this at the Toronto Film fest last year. It's an above average throw back slasher with a bit of an edge to it. I would recommend it. No doubt it's going to have it's share of fans.

Last edited: Feb 22, 2011
  7. Noto

Noto Guest

Probably the Weinsteins fucking around with things. They make stupid decisions regularly.

They changed Arthur and the Minimoys to Arthur and the Invisibles.

Not only is it a lame title, but the Minimoys weren't even invisible.

8. Cujo108

Cujo108 Guest

Well, a major update:

Good news - I'll be able to see it theatrically now, the title should remain intact and those Weinstein fucks no longer have a hold on the film.

Bad news - waiting till 2008 to see it.

9. Erick H.

Erick H. Well-Known Member

I'll see it in 2008 I guess,provided it isn't dumped again.

10. onebyone

onebyone Guest

Man, Grindhouse flopping really did just screw everything up. Horror movies had been stinking it up at the box office before that, but that just set off the panic button.

It could be good for the movie though. This is a terrible time for it to be released. It would have flopped and big. No one but us are in the mood.

11. _pi_

_pi_ Peace, bitch

Moriarty over at Ainitcoolnews.com just wrote a pretty fascinating article/review where he discusses All The Boys Love Mandy Lane among other other horror titles!

Now I'm really anxious to see this film! And I also recommend reading the short and sweet article, because even if you liked Halloween 2007 or not, I really agree with what he's saying. We need to support original horror more!

Last edited: Sep 14, 2007
  12. maskull

maskull I finally got an avatar!!! Yay!!

I just read the article and now I am really looking forward to this film. Sounds so very promising!!

13. _pi_

_pi_ Peace, bitch

14. rhett

rhett Administrator

This movie should have been out over a year ago. What a joke. I still can't wait to see it, but what a bonehead way to nullify all the momentum it gathered at Toronto.

15. Cujo108

Cujo108 Guest

I'll be ordering the UK disc. It's hard to believe I first heard about this film in November of '06. Having followed updates on it since then, I've watched as release date after release date hasn't panned out. I'm dying to see the film, and I've had enough. If it gets a theatrical release some time after the UK disc hits, cool, but at this point, I just want to see it, period.

16. maskull

maskull I finally got an avatar!!! Yay!!

Wow that art is disgusting!! If I saw that on the shelf, I wouldn't buy it.

But I'll be buying that disc when it comes out cause I've been wanting to see it for a long time and am sick of waiting for it. Can't wait for July!

17. scott71670

scott71670 Active Member

While I am excited about the Weinsteins putting these movies out on Dimension Extreme, over the years I have gotten a little bored with their antics about releasing some of the titles they keep to themselves (The Hole, Darkness, and this one are some I can think of). Even though I could buy it new, I think I'll wait till this one becomes used at Blockbuster just out of spite. I mean, how could they expect these movies to turn a buck if they just keep letting their time pass.

18. scott71670

scott71670 Active Member

Excuse me, actually it appears that maybe the Weinsteins sold the film after the box office dismay of Grindhouse. Oops. But it appears that these other guys who have had it were supposed to put it in theaters in April so I don't even understand !?! So now I'll buy it new, because I've heard it was amazing and over at Wikipedia they put a plot synopsis (with big time spoilers!!!) and it looks like something I'd dig.

19. _pi_

_pi_ Peace, bitch

I would have loved to see this in the cinemas, but I guess I'll just buy it now. If it's coming out on DVD in the UK already, I don't think it'll ever show up theatrically in Iceland :(

20. _pi_

_pi_ Peace, bitch

Well, now I've seen the film and I can safely say that it is pretty damn good. Not great, not mindblowing and definitely not a "reinvention" of the genre, but pretty good.

It looks awesome - I love it that it looks like a 70s film but its themes and its narrative are very modern - and there are a few great sequences. There is one in particular that is just amazingly conceived and directed;
    when Mandy sees the cokehead girl running away from the car, up until they embrace.

Very elegantly done, that scene. I think the director shows a lot of promise.

The overall tone and feel of the film is kind of inconsistent. At times it feels like it's the most routine slasher ever, while at others the filmmakers really manage to elevate what they were doing (in the above scene in particular, as well as in the opening pool party scene). I've read in interviews with these guys that they were trying to make something more impressive than your average slasher, and while the film is certainly impressive, they could have gone a bit farther. There's still a lot of annoyingly clich├ęd moments that could have been done better.

That said, I enjoyed the film a lot. I think the ending is perfect, although not entirely unexpected, and I think there's was a lot of love and effort put into the making of it. It's amazing that a film that is so well-made is being fucked with by a studio while other independent horror films that are not nearly as impressive get a massive audience. These guys should have sold the film to Lions Gate, not the Weinsteins ...