All the Boys Love Mandy Lane

Discussion in 'Slashers' started by Cujo108, Jul 1, 2007.

1. ReelFear

ReelFear New Member

I was tired of waiting for a US release, so i picked up the UNCUT German R2 DVD. My little nutshell review for those who haven't seen it.....

You will think of the Texas Chainsaw Massacre and maybe even the new Friday the 13th in terms of the film's look, but Mandy Lane soars above the usual slasher thanks to good acting, a well written script, and characters that are interesting and believable. The killer is revealed early in the movie, but that doesn't mean there's no more twists to keep you guessing. The gore, while not over the top, is very well done, and should please any horror fan. There are a few of the usual horror cliches, but for a first time director, this guy's got a bright future. Do yourself a favor and catch this film, It's worth your time. I give it a solid 8 out of 10.

2. Katatonia

Katatonia Hellbound Heart

3. maskull

maskull I finally got an avatar!!! Yay!!

It would just figure if they finally release this on R1 now. I just bought it off of Amazon UK. Though the price was good so I won't feel too bad about it.

4. Mutilated Prey

Mutilated Prey Soul Stealer

Not bad for a newer slasher, but I feel it was a little overhyped. The killer was revealed too early, and the "twist" was predictable.

5. fattyjoe37

fattyjoe37 Well-Known Member

I can't wait to see this!

6. Shannafey

Shannafey Don't Monkey With Me!

South Florida, But Far from the Hell that is Miami
    I just got this with the Deep Discount sale on Blu-Ray for $.99. That is about what it is worth. Slow moving beginning. A lot of characters that you don't feel bad about getting killed. Not much gore or nudity. One of the best kill sequences is wasted, since when you see the body later, it doesn't even show the wound. The twist was stupid and predictable. And they never really establish why so many guys are infatuated with Mandy Lane. She's cute, but nothing great!! That is main plot of the film and it doesn't really work! All in all, this was a waste of time.

7. hotbodynick

hotbodynick New Member

Ouch, that's a lot of hate for the movie. I can understand it though, it was slow and paid a lot of attention to moody detail and scenery which I can dig. It was like the Monster's Ball of the teen slashers and I appreciated the effort. There is a lot of poop littered out there on DVD these days, lots of sloppily put together DTV shit, this was a lot better than most and didn't get wacky and tongue in cheek. I say it's worth a spin... $.99 is a killer deal for it too as beautifully made as it is.

8. CPT HOOK

CPT HOOK Well-Known Member

I love this movie, I thought it was terrific. I love how it captured the "retro-slasher" essence while still being very much in the now.

9. Myron Breck

Myron Breck BOO!!! Gotcha!

Wait....I've been waiting on this for years now and, a) it sucks, and b) it's only available on BluRay? WTF?!?!?

10. MarkWarner

MarkWarner New Member

Yes and yes. I had hopes for it to, but it really was awful. I think I need to learn to keep expectations low for these kinds of movies so that when one that I like comes along, its a pleasant treat.

11. eric_angelus

eric_angelus Testacular

Yeah, it didn't do much for me at all

12. Hellbilly

Hellbilly Active Member

Amazing, still no U.S. release.

13. Shannafey

Glad to hear I'm not alone! It wasn't horrible, but it really wasn't that good. My expectations weren't really that high either! It is one that I don't see rewatching, so I'm glad I paid so little for it. When I bought my Blu-Ray player, I told myself that I would only buy things that were worth owning on Blu-Ray, but they've already gotten to a price point whereas if I can get it on Blu instead of DVD, I go for it. That being said, I buy a crapload of DVDs, since I don't pay more than $3 for one nowadays.

14. CPT HOOK

CPT HOOK Well-Known Member

The blu-ray is an import, but the disc is region free so it will play on any blu-ray player. It is available on DVD, but you will probably need a region free player.

It has not officially been released on blu-ray or DVD in the US.

15. fattyjoe37

fattyjoe37 Well-Known Member

So I finally watched this (rented the UK Blu from Scarecrow Video here in Seattle) and was pretty disappointed. I am a big fan of Jonathan Levine's follow-up films (The Wackness, 50/50), but don't feel he's got that horror touch. The film looked good and had some decent performances, but the script was mediocre and the characters were all unlikable. I really hated the ending and all the camera tricks that Levine used to spice scenes up, they made scenes look more like music videos or commercials. The soundtrack was amazing though. Levine's next film is a zombie movie called Warm Bodies, which I hope has a better script than Mandy Lane. He's definitely improved as a director with each film, so I'll still go to check it out.

16. othervoice1

othervoice1 Well-Known Member

Im sorry it didnt do much for you - Ive watched the blu-ray 3 times now and still enjoy it quite a bit - I like the look and sound of the movie - and while the ending is fairly predictable I still liked it.

17. Mutilated Prey

Mutilated Prey Soul Stealer

Any updates on a US release?

18. Shannafey