All Universal Frankenstein and Wolf Man Films coming to Blu-ray!!!

Discussion in 'High Definition' started by Nailwraps, Jul 14, 2016.

1. Nailwraps

Nailwraps Well-Known Member

2. Anthropophagus

Anthropophagus Well-Known Member

Damn, these are hard times for the wallet.
    I'm cool with the Frankenstein dvd collection that I already have but will opt for the Wolf Man blu-ray collection for sure.
    I'm excited about these, but how many duplicates do we need of each film across different collections?

3. buck135

buck135 Kanamit

Ok, first off this is great news. Secondly, the duplication of films over the two sets is bizarre. This leaves the Dracula, Invisible Man and Creature from the Black Lagoon sequels. Aren't most if not all of those films available in Europe?

4. Anthropophagus

It's inevitable that a Dracula set will have dupes as well-House of Frankenstein, House of Dracula, Abbott and Costello Meet Frankenstein all feature the fanged one.
    One big mama jamma set featuring all the Dracula, Frankenstein and Wolf Man films would have been more practical?
    How many times does Universal expect us to shell out for these?
    That being said, a Creature collection will be pre-ordered as soon as announced.

5. satans-sadists

satans-sadists Ghost

I don't have any Universal Monster films yet on Blu-ray. I have all of the Monster Legacy Collections on DVD. At this point, I am ready to upgrade. Wouldn't buy the coffin collection because I wanted all of the sequels.

6. MisterTwister

MisterTwister The Schlock King

I only have Black Lagoon on blu.

Son of Frankenstein is underrated as FUUUUUCCCKKKK.

7. shape22

shape22 Well-Known Member

As much as I want these films in hi-def, this is an outrage--especially when you consider how much Universal has cried poor mouth about the unprofitability of their classic monster releases. It's one thing to expect people to double-dip for the films in the Essential Collection. But duplicating multiple new titles across these Legacy releases might be the most outrageous cash grab ever. It would make a hell of a lot more sense (and demonstrate a hell of a lot more appreciation for loyal customers) if they retained the structure of the Legacy DVD collections and added a separate Abbott and Costello collection including Meet Frankenstein, Meet the Killer, Meet the Invisible Man, Meet Dr. Jekyll and Mr. Hyde, and Meet the Mummy. That would ensure minimal overlap for the folks who already bought the Essential Collection and the single disc release of Meet Frankenstein.

If they stick to the announced format they definitely win this year's crown for "Most Usurious Home Video Studio." Jesus, Universal. Do we get a free reach-around with the purchase of all of the new Legacy collections?

Anthropophagus likes this.
  8. Anthropophagus

Yeah, as much as I love A&C Meet Frankenstein I hardly require six copies of the same film.
    It's quite stupid. They know people who collect these will want each Monster's collection as well.

buck135 likes this.
  9. Harry Warden

Harry Warden Well-Known Member

One huge set with all of Universal monster flicks would be my choice.

10. Anthropophagus

Mine too, they just better quality control the Hell out of it to avoid the issues I had with the initial A&C collections and that many experienced with the initial run of the Legacy sets.

11. shape22

That would be perfect, since it would undoubtedly be region-free and relatively cheap to import from Amazon UK. The limited edition coffin Essential Collection cost me less than 50% of Amazon USA's preorder price.

12. shape22

And here we go. Pre-order links are up at Amazon:

https://smile.amazon.com/Frankenste...8&sr=8-9&keywords=frankenstein+legacy#postSPF

https://smile.amazon.com/Wolf-Man-C...87851&sr=8-5&keywords=wolf+man+legacy#postSPF

Info for the Frankenstein Legacy is definitely incomplete and incorrect at present. It doesn't include Son in the disc-by-disc breakdown (based on the configuration, it seems certain to be paired with Ghost). That blows, since it means Son STILL won't get the extras-laden special edition it deserves. Frankenstein Meets The Wolf Man, House of Frankenstein, and House of Dracula are all on one disc, so now we know why they're all being shoe-horned into both collections. Technically, that shouldn't present a problem, since we're talking roughly 3.5 hours of full-screen content (which shouldn't require terrible bitrates or significant compression anomalies). But, as expected, Universal is taking the absolute cheapest authoring/manufacturing route. Disappointing.

Initial pre-order prices aren't outrageous. If they drop roughly 30% before release (as the upcoming Hammer set did), that would mean roughly $28 per set. That's still significantly cheaper than importing the French Elephant Films releases. So it works for me. Hopefully they'll go easy on the digital processing. I've seen rips of the French releases, and they are VERY film-like.

Fingers crossed.

13. X-human

X-human I ate my keys

Well, I'm glad they're finally releasing these. I hope, I hope, I hope, I hope Dracula, Mummy, Invisible Man and Creature features soon follow.

But it is an irritant that these are near identical to the last round of DVD sets, including the cover art, which gave patrons a copy each of the House films with the Frankenstein, Dracula and Wolfman sets. So anyone picking all of them up got three copies of each. Then the complete 30 film set even used the same DVD files so the set itself came with triplicates!

It's at a bargain MSRP though, and these crash in price pretty quickly. So I'm going to hold off on a steal of a deal. I watch the first of the series every October so the initial Blu-ray set will tide me over. And Svengoolie regularly screens the sequels, so I'm watching one or another just about every Saturday. So I don't need these right away.

Plus I expect 4k UHD somewhere down the line. Rumors of better materials for both Dracula and Frankenstein turning up in the fast few years have also been circulating.

14. buck135

buck135 Kanamit

Amazon Canada currently has a better price on these. With my 5 dollar courtesy credit for "guaranteeing" that I'd receive a copy of Vincent Price Volume 1 (didn't happen), the two sets come in at a total of $66.

15. buck135

buck135 Kanamit

I'll definitely buy the next go around (Mummy, Creature and Dracula) and would even splurge on a UHD set. I'm not thrilled with how these films are spread out over the two sets, but I just want the damn movies. I never thought Universal would release these.

16. buck135

buck135 Kanamit

Best Buy has these for $29.99 each (with free shipping). I chatted with Amazon to see if they'd price match. The guy told me to fuck off. Best Buy it is then.

17. shape22

Ha. This is where I expect the Amazon pre-order prices to land. If the Hammer set pattern holds the prices will drop in a week or so.

18. X-human

X-human I ate my keys

These should reach $27.99 in short order, that's the standard 30% off of the MSRP of $39.99. But if you're looking to order just the Frankenstein set then Best Buy's a good deal with their lower $35 free shipping requirement. But when you figure both sets for $56ish. 7 new unique films. That's about $8 each. Pretty good I'd say. If they sold them as singles for $11.99 you'd be looking at the same kind of discount to $7.99 and I expect many complainers would pick these up as no brainers at that point. I included.

Son of Frankenstein needs some special features in the least. It's one of Karloff's best performances as he plays the character of a brain damaged man very well. Each portrayal is distinct and that's rare to find of characters when performed by the same actor. His pantomime with Rathbone and the mirror scene is one of his most captivating moments. It's really a film where all the main actors were firing on all cylinders.

19. Grim

Grim Well-Known Member

I really want all of these, but I already have the first Universal Monsters blu-ray set (which I really, really like). Also, the doubles amongst the sets doesn't make me want to buy these either. I think I'll hold off until either they release the films individually (highly unlikely), release a complete box set of EVERY film (unlikely, but might happen if their new "Universal Monsters Cinematic Universe" actually takes off), or they become dirt cheap (most likely).

20. shape22

And there is it! Wolf Man Legacy Collection pre-order price dropped to $28.85. Frankenstein should follow suit.

othervoice1 likes this.