Alone in the Dark

Discussion in 'Reader Reviews' started by Tien21, Jan 30, 2005.

1. maskull

maskull I finally got an avatar!!! Yay!!

I am for sure. If I can get to the store tomorrow that is.

2. maskull

exactly why i buy them. I hope he makes another 20 movies. All based on video games! :D

3. life_o_petey

life_o_petey Guest

there's very little violence/gore.

4. onebyone

onebyone Guest

You and me both my friend. You and me both.

5. Tien21

Tien21 Guest

I will probably buy this previously viewed at Hollywood video for like $7. Tomorrow I am going to buy Assault on Precinct 13 with bonus disk at Best Buy. The bonus disk has the first 3 mins of cry wolf! It also has scenes from Unleashed. Both look like good movies.

6. Katatonia

Katatonia Hellbound Heart

Oh boy, this movie was so utterly stupefying that I nearly had a brain aneurysm just waiting for it to end. Christian Slater was about the only reason I even wanted to rent this one. I should have known the guy who directed House of the Dead would make an equally terrible flick.

The only good thing about the film? The Nuclear Blast soundtrack. At least it didn't have some lame, trendy rap soundtrack. I'll give it a deserved point or two for that. Another point...you can truly laugh at this movie, a comedy to sit down and laugh your ass off at just how bad a movie can possibly be.

7. thrashard76

thrashard76 Guest

The soundtrack was good, though the European 2 CD version is still better than the US one. Sadly for a heavy metal collector like myself, I found less than 10% of any thing new on there that I didn't already have on their respective full length albums. Needless to say I didn't buy this soundtrack but for those who don't have most of these songs, it would be a nice addition to any beginners metal collection.

8. shift

shift Hot as shit!

feel asleep watching this pos

9. Grim

Grim Well-Known Member

Odd. I hated the music in this film and found all of the heavy metal wholly uneeded and just shitty. To each his own I suppose. Oh, and my Best Buy was sold out of these on release day.

10. Katatonia

Katatonia Hellbound Heart

Hopefully some good soul bought up all of the DVD's and immediately threw them in the trash.

11. X-human

X-human I ate my keys

That's the only possible explaination my mind could grasp for that film to be sold out. And why marketing thought they could sell it for 27.98 each I may never understand, perhaps so that if they actually sell one copy they can pay for the whole budget?

12. Tien21

Tien21 Guest

The budget was reportedly 20 mil. The budget for Bloodrayne is 15 mil. If Boll and his croonies don't make a success out of Bloodrayne then I'm afraid he won't be directing theatrical movies much longer. I am not sure how Uwe expects to release Bloodrayne in the US. Lions Gate probably doesn't want to waste money on it, and I don't know any other theatrical studio that would. Yet according to Bolls official fansite Bollfans.com, it will run in over 2,500 theaters.

Last edited by a moderator: May 15, 2005
  13. Myron Breck

Myron Breck BOO!!! Gotcha!

Totally boring but worth a rental for the laughs at Tara Reid's expense. It looks like Boll gave her two sentences of direction: "You're confused..." and "You smell something bad..." and both of them got the same result. She just stands there in her super-smart glasses and idioticly non-academic flared cordoroys (or however you spell it). Priceless.
    Do check it out.

14. Tien21

Tien21 Guest

I didn't think she was the only funny part. I loved the chase in the beginning. How Slater told that guy to stay in the cab, then he jumps out, and lets the guy get hit by an oncoming car...
    How about the stupid story in general where I could literally find a million plot holes. Why is it that thousands of these monsters need for some 10ft. wide door to open so they can kill everyone on earth? And I love the part where they try to open the door and the one guy is like "No you need this" and he hands over what looks like a first graders clay art project. PRICELESS!

15. dwatts

dwatts New Member

I just watched it. I agree with many of the comments here, which of course, makes it all pretty damn good.

Oh sure, the horror quota is low. Tara Reid is make out of plastic (and isn't even cute), Boll doesn't seem to know when it's good to use slow-mo, and when it's not, and that bullet time is kinda... you know.... done. And as for the love making - wtf?

But hey, it's a stupid movie that is stupid fun, imo. I didn't find the plot at all convoluted. And yes, at film school this might only get a D grade.

But hey, it's Boll, and the more people hate him, the more I find to like :D

Call me a masochist. Check it out, it's hitting the cheap racks now, I paid $10 for it, and you can probably better that. It's a bad film. But the time passes quickly. I like it most because everyone else hates it.

I want Boll to make a movie based on Pac Man.

16. BloodMan

BloodMan Kill Time B4 It Kills You

Tetris would be more fun I think.
    God I love tetris!

17. dwatts

dwatts New Member

:D

I have a fondness for some bad cinema. Boll is bad - though perhaps his biggest crime is that he's not quite bad enough. My biggest disapointment, to be honest, was that this one wasn't nearly as bad as others had led me to believe.

Oh sure, it's poop. Through and through. But for some of this film I was reminded of, say, Mimic, which was also poop, but not bashed as much as this one. Reading comments /reviews of this film, one would expect a train wreck of such magnitude, the derailed carriages wiped out an entire city as they slid off the tracks. Instead, it's a minor derailment with three spilt coffee's and a twisted ankle.

Frankly, Boll would do better to try harder at being worse, way worse. He's nowhere near the bottom of the barrell yet. He has potential, but he keeps surfacing for air.

18. onebyone

onebyone Guest

Save the first big fight, this movie wasn't nearly as fun bad as House of the Dead. That was disappointing, although laughing at Tara Reid trying to act smart was always there to keep me from being bored. However, the commentary was every bit as good as the one on House of the Dead, so I am still happy to have the DVD. I can only hope he goes back to over the top bad in his next project.

19. maskull

That's what I was afraid of....this movie isn't bad enough. Ah well, I'll still watch it and see for myself. And listen to the commentary. :)

20. maskull

All right. This movie was plenty bad. So bad that I really enjoyed it. Tara Reid and Stephen Dorf were hilarious playing parts they had no business playing, the plot was silly, the monsters were...not scary, the dialogue was classic cheese, and the supposed soldiers actually looked more like gymnasts...if that makes any sense.

favourite part: When Stephen Dorf went back to get the explosives in the "other dimension" and he goes through the door with a goofy tough guy look on his face, firing away at nothing....I almost fell out of my chair laughing.

I only rented this one, but now I am definitely going to the used store to pick it up. Another great classic from Uwe Boll. Hope he keeps making them!

oh I forgot, the gunfight in the dark was priceless too.