Alright, I did it. I bought a new Laserdisc Player!

Discussion in 'Laserdisc' started by Uncle Jay, Nov 20, 2008.

1. Uncle Jay

Uncle Jay Member

I've had a PIONEER CLD-D501 Laserdisc Player for nearly 16 years now. I bought it on January 1, 1993...I paid $700 bucks for it, lol. It was one of the first units to offer "dual side play"...so you didn't have to get up and flip them. I had a great time with this unit, but over the years it just deteriorated. In 2000, I had it refurbished, but it still acted stubborn. I would fire it up maybe once a year since then, spin a disc or two, but the quality of picture provided a lot of moire and grain. The dual side play would stick and certain discs wouldn't even play.

With my recent return to, or shall I say reinterest in Laserdiscs, I went out and bought a slightly used PIONEER ELITE DVL-91 DVD/LASERDISC combo player and I cannot believe the quality of this machine. Never have my laserdiscs looked this good. Even old standard lasers from the 80s look beautiful.

Had to share...

-UJ

Last edited: Nov 20, 2008
  2. Stige

Stige Active Member

people in Europe seem to be wiling to die before selling their laserdisc players....

oh well

3. geeare

geeare Guest

ya i'm amazed these people will even use the internet when there are actual physical bulletin boards out there to pin things to.

4. wago70

wago70 Surviving on nostalgia

San Francisco - down by them two ol' sheds
    I've always wanted a top of the line LD player. I had a great one from Japan - a Pioneer player that displayed better color and a better "Black" level than my current DVD players. I ended up selling my collection this year once I couldn't get the player to start. I'm regretting letting go of certain titles and still wish I had many of them now. :(
    That player sounds like a great find. :)

5. ekent

ekent The Lord's Arm of Justice

North California, South Alabam, and little towns a
    I'm always on the lookout to find a player locally. I would like an Elite series player but folks online are hip to its worth and I don't think I could go over $100 on a player. Until I find a deal that I canot refuse, I will continue to use my CLD-D406.

A few years back I found a guy locally through eBay and the guy let me raid his stash of DTS discs. I snagged about 10 titles, 7 of them DTS for $50. Last year I sold most of them for well over $200 total.

6. KR~!

KR~! The Apocalyptic Kid

Cool, I just brought an abacus to balance my money accounts.

7. Mattapooh

Mattapooh Member

Well I think that's just adorable.

Seriously though, I've never even SEEN a laserdisc, let alone watched a movie from one. I still remember my dad telling me about watching a Star Wars laserdisc at some dude's house on a big screen TV (remember the old massive crappy ones?) and talking about how amazing it was. Me, being a huge Star Wars fan at 13 (this was about 1993), I was envious as hell and wished I could've gotten into that stuff.

8. bigdaddyhorse

bigdaddyhorse Detroit Hi-on

I need to plug my LD player into my TV and see how it looks now. It was fine on a 32" SD, now I'm 67" full HD and quickly becoming finicky about watching SD broadcasts. I think it's mostly because the local FSN looks far worse than normal SD, and only 50-70% of Piston and Red Wing games get HD broadcasts.

I'm still very happy with my standard dvd player hooked up via componet. I can barely tell the difference between that and the 1080i Comcast HD signal, so that's keeping me from taking the BR plunge for now. Once prices drop a bit more and discs are cheaper, more titles offered, and including the extras from my current dvds, then I'll upgrade. It's also kept me from trying a up-converting dvd player, that and all the R2 stuff I have.

The last thing I need is a new way to plug my LD into the computer. I had dvdXpress, but it's an old version that won't work with Vista.:( Thought i had the jacks on my video card/back of tower, but a closer look shows those are all outs and no ins.:cry: At least I have audio ins for ripping my massive cassette collection.

Last edited: Nov 20, 2008
  9. Dave

Dave Pimp

Congrats, man!

I'm toying now with getting another player, but when I realize I would have to spend a ton to get noticeable improvement in pic. quality, I usually back out. I'm probably going to get a blu-ray player instead. I have a high def TV but it is a tube (CRT). Lasers still looks decent on it with my CLD-D604.

Remember the format is only dead when we stop spinning discs.

10. Matt89

Matt89 Well-Known Member

No...it's been dead for a long time now. :D

Gotta love lasers, though. I have the Criterion LD of Taxi Driver with Scorsese's commentary. Too bad it was never carried over to the DVD release.

~Matt

11. Myron Breck

Myron Breck BOO!!! Gotcha!

I can't believe that I don't own one of the dinosaurs! I remember looking at them all the time as a kid and wishing I were rich enough to own one--and, let's face it, we're all STILL waiting on some of those special features to carry over to DVD/Blu-Ray!

Plus, they're big. Gotta love that. :)

12. Paff

Paff Super Moderator

We get the idea, guys. It's a dead format, and better ones have taken over.

Now get this: WE DON'T CARE

It's not like we don't have DVD or Blu-ray, or are hoping that LD will come back the way vinyl has. It won't. It's over. But I also have over 500 LDs. Do the math (use that abacus, KR) on how much it will cost to replace them on another format. Yes, I'll eventually do it, and I've already upgraded several LD titles to DVD, but in the meantime I can still watch all those movies.

After that, many of the other posters here have already mentioned some of the advantages that LD still has. Larger size (which usually means big cover art, often based on the original art instead of the "re-imaging" and "floating heads" so prevalent in today's DVDs), and still some special features not ported over to DVD. For example, several HUNDRED stills from Night of the Living Dead that are not on the Millenium DVD from Elite.

A couple advantages not mentioned yet: Superior sound!! Yup, LD still sounds better than DVD because there is no need for compression. And many DVDs have the original soundtrack re-cooked and it sounds like ass. Suspiria, perfect example.

The nostalgia factor. As a fan of Hong Kong films, I used to order VHS tapes that were copied from LD (it was legal if the movie was not released in the US). Dual subtitles, sometimes white-on-white. Now those movies are on DVD, and those old LDs can be had for less than $5. I buy them in bulk, reminding me of the days when I was just discovering Hong Kong cinema.

Finally, the cool factor. A 2008 Toyota Camry will run circles around an old Porsche Speedster from the 50s, but which one is cooler? I've said it before, if you never got into LD, it's far too late to buy a player now. But if you're like me, with several hundred discs, you want them to look the best they can, and still watch them every so often.

Long story short, congrats Uncle Jay

13. KR~!

KR~! The Apocalyptic Kid

14. indiephantom

indiephantom Horny Spirit

That's the exact same LD/DVD player I have. Bought it in 1999 and it works really well. I use it as my backup DVD player, as it seems to have fewer "issues" with finicky discs. I remember when I got this player being amazed at the picture quality compared to my old one.

Tarantino also owns this model. You're in good company. ;)

15. Matt89

Matt89 Well-Known Member

You're damn right, James Dean's car! (Before he traded it in and got the Porsche Spyder that ultimately killed him.)

But yeah I get what you're saying. There are a few shops I know of that sell laserdiscs and I've grabbed a few just for the nostalgia factor. I have a few Criterion LDs just for the hell of it. I don't even own a LD player! I wanna get one though for the commentaries that weren't carried over to DVD.

~Matt

16. Shannafey

Shannafey Don't Monkey With Me!

South Florida, But Far from the Hell that is Miami
    I just bought a new 8 Track player to hook up to my surround system. You guys may think CDs and audio DVDs are good, but nothing matches the fidelity of an 8 Track tape!!! :lol:

Yeah, I know what you mean, Paff! I still have stuff on VHS, some of which I've transferred to DVD-R because I don't want to spend the money on rebuying it (if it was something I loved, I'd rebuy it).

Also, I with you on the nostalgia factor! I used to get Anime tapes transferred from Jap. LDs that didn't even have subtitles, just because I loved the animation. Those, I've rebought on DVD.

Last edited: Nov 21, 2008
  17. geeare

geeare Guest

LD is cooler than DVD or Blu-ray, lol.

seriously I understand the having 500+ LD's and not wanting to replace them but this "cooler" statement is just rediculous.

18. Fistfuck

Fistfuck Slowest to 2000 posts

That's so five minutes ago. Eco-friendly is what's hot now.

19. Myron Breck

Myron Breck BOO!!! Gotcha!

Uh, YEAH!!!!! I have been wanting something that can convert my John Waters books-on-tape for ages and no one has a clue!!! You can buy LP-to-CD units as Wal-Mart.

20. russweiss

russweiss Well-Known Member

Very well said:D:D