Alright, I did it. I bought a new Laserdisc Player!

Discussion in 'Laserdisc' started by Uncle Jay, Nov 20, 2008.

1. russweiss

russweiss Well-Known Member

I had over 750 lasers at one point. I collected a lot of Chinese and Japanese imports because you just couldn't find the titles anywhere else. Once DVD starting becoming prevalent I sold my entire collection on Ebay and recovered a large percentage of the money I spent. Personally I didnt' like the fact of how large the lasers were as they became extremely heavy when you had to move them around. Also the cost was so much higher (average $30-35 dollars). My friend used to collect DiscoVision titles and he would remove the top finish on the mystery side to see what titles were pressed underneath.

2. SickNick89

SickNick89 Member

i still have my collection of a couple hundred titles on ld, many of them with extras not on dvd (scream-uncut, raw test footage on nightmare on elm street, carrie with commentary, poltergiest with documentary ect) so i8 won't be letting go of these anytime soon.

3. Dave

Dave Pimp

If you guys are anti-LD or just want to rain on the parade, you probably have no business being in this thread. My opinion on a dead format is that it aint dead until it is no longer used. Therefore, LD will never die in my eyes. Of course it is dead from a new release standpoint. But looking at the sales on the ebay LD section, LD is very much alive for many people.

I agree with many of Paff's arguments. I like the nostalgic factor with LD and yeah, they do look a lot cooler. The image has held up well thus far, though I admit once we are all on significantly larger screens or projectors, the image will be hurting.

For me it's almost like collecting comics now. I'm doing it for the love of the format and because I like collecting rare lasers. I just bought Deep Blue Sea on LD for $40. Why would I do this when the DVD is $5-$10 with better pq? Well, I own the DVD but I think it would be cool to own one of the last lasers ever produced.

4. Regurgitate

Regurgitate New Member

I can relate to that statement a lot in some respects. As a young teenager I feverishly tried to acquire a Laserdisc player and when I actually did I lusted after all the great criterion LDs and the various boxed sets that just screamed elegance and elitism if you will. I have a very modest Laserdisc collection now and every now and then I get the urge to pick up some kitschy odd ball import laserdisc or some sublimely terrible movie just for it's sheer irony. The problem is now when I actually sit and try to watch a laserdisc, I can't. To me the technology is horribly dated and even the most average DVD can beat the vast majority of Laserdiscs picture wise. Not to mention if you're watching a CAV title all the flipping and disc changing can get old.

5. ekent

ekent The Lord's Arm of Justice

North California, South Alabam, and little towns a
    In many ways, I don't a DVD can compare to a properly produced CAV disc.

One example is the Dawn of the Dead CAV box set. I was amazed at the quality and I was geeking over the frame advance. Try doing that on any DVD version, it won't hold up with the MPEG-2 compression and the frame meshing.

I truly believe that if lasers were still being printed today, the picture would be superior to DVD. I think that the new mastering technology would look better on LD than DVD. Who knows, perhaps even anamorphic squeeze would have caught on.

6. Dave

Dave Pimp

I guess the fact I have a reasonably sized 16x9 tube is why lasers still look decent to me. I was surprised at how well meridian looked when I watched it last week, and that's a laser from 1990.

7. Dave

Dave Pimp

The other factor is that the high end Japanese machines (HLD-Xx) supposedly really breathe some new life into laserdiscs on the bigger TVs. People on AVS claims that they'll look nearly as good as DVD. Now, those high end machines go for $1500-$2500, so price is a huge factor. That kind of cash can buy a lot of blu-rays, ya know?

The other option would be the LD-S9, which is close to high end, but doesn't carry the same price tag. I've seen those go for $500 and I may bite and get one of those again at some point.

8. SickNick89

SickNick89 Member

The last laser i bought new before they were discontinued was Blair Witch Project. I'm sure it had to be in the final list of laserdiscs ever produced.

9. Matt89

Matt89 Well-Known Member

Yeah it had to have been, and wasn't Sleepy Hollow the last laser ever produced? Correct me if I'm wrong. They officially stopped making them in what, 1999/2000?

~Matt

10. Dave

Dave Pimp

2000 for US and 2001 for Japan.

I just bought BWP and Wild Wild West off ebay for $1.00 each.

Sleepy Hollow was last here; The Cell was last US release in Japan.

11. Matt89

Matt89 Well-Known Member

Hey Dave, do you have the Carrie Criterion? I really wanna get it for the commentary. (I have no idea where to get a player, though. I live in Toronto, so I guess you probably don't know of anywhere lol.)

~Matt

12. Paff

Paff Super Moderator

I have it.

You could probably have someone record it to CD, then watch the DVD while listening to the commentary. It's more of an "audio essay", not really scene specific. I think I've listened to maybe half of it or so.

If you do decide to buy a player for something like this, be ABSOLUTELY sure you get the remote. To switch audio tracks on a laserdisc, you press an "Analog/Digital" button on the remote, and you can't do that from the front panel. No universal remotes do it either.

13. Matt89

Matt89 Well-Known Member

Yeha I might just get one, but are there any sites that feature laserdisc reviews?

~Matt

14. Paff

Paff Super Moderator

players or discs?

15. Matt89

Matt89 Well-Known Member

Discs.

~Matt

16. Dave

Dave Pimp

17. Matt89

Matt89 Well-Known Member

:lol:

Yeah I've read all those lol. Any other sites you know of?

I appreciate the effort, tho. :lol:

~Matt

18. Paff

Paff Super Moderator

19. SickNick89

SickNick89 Member

i think i paid 30-40 for bwp new. at least those were the days of no real finacial responsibilities for me.

20. f.ramses

f.ramses sociopath

Even though it's been a while since I've bought or watched any LD's I still think about getting myself another player to have as a backup every now and then. When I was little my neighbor had hundreds of LD's and I used to always be over at his house watching them with him. Years later, after being talked out of it several times, I finally broke down and bought my current player off of ebay (Pioneer CLD-D502) and I've been pretty happy with it, it will definitely be a sad day when this thing dies! It's funny, I actually don't know what my next player will be, a backup LD player, a BETAMAX player (always wanted one of these...), or a Blu-Ray player... :]