Am I the only guy who bought the monster legacy?

Discussion in 'Classic' started by Horrorfan, Apr 29, 2004.

1. Ravenheart

Ravenheart Guest

I've got mine ordered and was hoping they'd be here this week but it looks like I might have to wait til next week for them to come.

2. Jimbo

Jimbo The Bloodstained Shadow

Got the box set.Already have several of the original releases but could not resist the busts.

3. MISFITZ

MISFITZ Guest

I bought this set. great box set, but packaged sorta messed up. All the DVDs had gotten loose. I guess during shipping to BEST BUY.

All of the DVDs except one Woflman dvd were fine. But i gotta exchange my set. That one disc is pretty bad. Has a ding in it too. After checking on other sites, i noticed others had this issue too. Anyone else?

(yeah it's been forever since i posted)

4. mgfred

mgfred Guest

Damn Mutley, now I am going to have to spend more money!

The House of Dracula thing escaped me before. Thanks to you I got all of the original DVDs before they disappeared, now I suppose I will have to buy the Dracula one just for this!

I saw over at Mobius a lot of complaining about the packaging in the set with the busts of the monsters. DVDs popping out during shipment, not just shipment to your home, but to the stores too! Many scratched discs were talked about!

5. dwatts

dwatts New Member

Well, I am reading a few things about this set worth noting:

1. Bride of Frankenstein has a better transfer.

2. Frankenstein has a soundtrack with a lot of hiss, this was not a problem with the last release of this film.

3. The Dracula release here is slightly cut from the last release.

6. SilentScreams

SilentScreams Member

I hear that Bride of Frankenstein is also better framed on this DVD then the previous release.

7. dwatts

dwatts New Member

Yup - hence:

"1. Bride of Frankenstein has a better transfer."

Is the documentary for the Wolfman in the new release?

8. SilentScreams

SilentScreams Member

It's listed on the back of the case but I haven't checked the DVD yet.

9. maybrick

maybrick Well-Known Member

Count me among the many with a loose disc. Disc 2 of my Wolfman got scratched. They appear pretty light though. If it doesn't play correctly, I'm sure I'll be able to buff them out. It's a pain in the ass, but not as much as getting a replacement disc.

10. Hammerfan

Hammerfan Guest

I picked up the Frankenstein set today at Target. Attached to the back of the box was a metal plate with a graphic of Frankenstein. It states this is a bonus. I don't know if this a bonus for just Target or what. Nonetheless, its a cool little bonus.

Now that I have all three, I couldn't resist opening them all. I think the packaging is gorgeous. They are like hard bound books in a slipcase....really nice. I think a lot of effort was put into creating something special package wise. This is definitely a more sturdier version of the digipak.

Looking forward to watching at least one flick tonight. Definitely have PLENTY to choose from! These are a great deal by far.

11. old-boo-radley

old-boo-radley They stay the same age...

Do any of the films not have trailers? I know Son of Frankenstein didn't have one on the first release and the reverse side of the Wolf Man set doesn't say it includes any trailers. I will be putting mine on layaway tomorrow and buying it on the 15th. In the meantime, I gotta buy 3 used horror flicks from the local Movie Gallery.

12. mutleyhyde

mutleyhyde Fuck it.

Sorry Fred, I know I tend to have that effect on you. :evil:

I went to BB yesterday, but they didn't have any of the 3 packs left. I wanted to at least see the busts up close before deciding to get them or not. I have to have House of Dracula; a nicer print of Bride would be great, but I could do without it if the busts aren't 'all that', plus, the reports of the damaged discs in the 3 pack is a factor. At this point, I'm deciding between the 3 pack, or just the Dracula set.

Just how great lookin' are the busts? How big are they?

13. Hammerfan

Hammerfan Guest

I glanced at the busts in the 3 pack set at Best Buy. They look beautiful to me, but at the time I only wanted to buy one set at a time. Little did I know that for the next two days I would end up picking up the the other two elsewhere! They are definitely a nice premium. I can't comment on their dimensions, however.

I watched HOUSE OF FRANKENSTEIN last night (odd little movie) and it contained the trailer. I also watched some of the extras, which were new to me as I hadn't purchased the originals. The cropping on the opening credits of HOUSE seemed the worse for wear. Glenn Strange's portrayal of the Frankenstein monster in this picture is just, well, awful.

I'm really glad I picked up these sets. They are flipper discs (which I actually like) and I can now fit 14 films in a much smaller space in my collection (which is always a bonus). I'm very pleased with these sets.

14. maybrick

maybrick Well-Known Member

They're 3 or 4 inches high and are pretty heavy for their size. They definitely made them durable. I think they look great. So does my 9 month old daughter. She loves the Frankenstein Monster one. Every time I show it to her she grins and laughs.

15. mutleyhyde

mutleyhyde Fuck it.

Haha, that's cool maybrick. Yeah, I just may have to spring for the set.

16. mutleyhyde

mutleyhyde Fuck it.

Okay, so I went to BB in Irving after work and they had one set left. Of course the dvds were all loose, but I paid for it, opened that bitch up right there on the counter. Only the Frankenstein set was fucked up, and BB replaced it without any trouble at all. Pretty fuckin' cool. :banana:

So now I have three cool as shit busts, and a whole buncha duplicate movies. :lol:

17. onebyone

onebyone Guest

Mine came in the mail yesterday, but the double sided Dracula disc was loose and scratched all to hell, on both sides nonetheless. God damn it. I have an email into digitaleyes to see if I can just have that set replaced or if I have to mail the whole big thing back. If I have to send the whole heavy thing back, I am gonna be kind of pissed.

Of all the things to come loose. Damn it.

Last edited by a moderator: May 1, 2004
  18. Vampyre

Vampyre Guest

I'm want this set BAD... but I'm unemployed Right now...

19. mgfred

mgfred Guest

You should see my collection of Asian Cinema now because of you........... :fire:

20. RyanPC

RyanPC Guest

I still need to get these sets, as soon as I have some money. I think I'll order it at DDD unless I can find it cheap in a retail store (which I doubt).

The Dracula legacy is my least wanted one (because I don't really like Lugosi's Dracula) but I'll still be getting it sometime around.

Actually I'm still debating whether or not to get them all seperately or purchase the whole Monster Legacy, since I very rarely have that much money at one time.

I also need to pick up that Hammer 6-pack, as I don't own any of them (and I've only seen Curse of Frankenstein and Horror of Dracula)! Oh how I wish I were rich... :(