Am I the only guy who bought the monster legacy?

Discussion in 'Classic' started by Horrorfan, Apr 29, 2004.

1. life_o_petey

life_o_petey Guest

I was only planning on picking up the Frankenstein movies, but lately I've been getting the urge to get the whole set. And with all these stories of scratched up discs, it looks like I'll have to take the trip to Best Buy and not risk having it shipped.

2. life_o_petey

life_o_petey Guest

Well, scratch that. Best Buy didn't have it, and I was ordering some books for school so I threw the set on the end of that order at Amazon. I'll just keep my fingers crossed for a box that's been handled with care...

3. KR~!

KR~! The Apocalyptic Kid

[​IMG]

The Monster Legacy Collection (Frankenstein / Dracula / The Wolf Man)
    DVD Features:
    Contains all 13 films of the "Legacy Collection" on six discs plus exclusive hand-cast busts from sculptor Mat Falls/Sideshow Collectibles
    See individual DVDs for more details
    Number of discs: 6
    Price : $55.99 with free shipping from Amazon.com

Kind of hard to say no to that! :evil:

4. Lyle Horowitz

Lyle Horowitz Miscreant

Do you have a job? That's how I pay for all of my DVDs. You are old enough, go fill out some applications, dude!

5. dwatts

dwatts New Member

$56 doesn't define rich does it? If so, there are a ton of rich people on this board :)

I need a lot more of you to go buy this - then hopefully Universal will put out the other sets complete (creature etc). So get with the program, you know you want those busts, you really do.

6. onebyone

onebyone Guest

I just heard from Digital Eyes AND I have to return the whole set AND it is on backorder until 5/24.

Of all the sets to arrive messed up, it just had to be this one. :cry:

7. maybrick

maybrick Well-Known Member

Why don't you just buy a copy of Dracula at a local store, then come back later and return the damaged one and get your money back?

Or if you just claim that you bought it there most places will just let you replace the disc without a receipt (try K-Mart).

Last edited: May 4, 2004
  8. onebyone

onebyone Guest

I live overseas, so none of that is an option. If it was, I would totally do that, because I hate to lose the whole set AND have to wait for a backorder.

Thanks for the thought though. :p

9. Damed

Damed Guest

Well, I almost bought the Dracula Legacy last night - but I put it down. I already own all the single and double features, and I just can't justify parting with the cash to get "House Of Dracula".

10. maybrick

maybrick Well-Known Member

Couldn't you do same thing by ordering another Dracula DVD and mailing back the defective one? That might be worth a shot. As it is though, I don't see how they could refuse and insist that you send back the whole set. There's no difference between the ones being sold individually and the one that's in the big box set.

11. Horrorfan

Horrorfan New Member

I was one of the lucky people that actually had all of the Universal monster dvds when they first came out.(except for the Phantom of the opera) I actually traded off all of mine for the new set only keeping what isn't avalable. Why would I do such a thing? First off These sets are a steal at there price. The idea of having all these great films on 6 discs shows how much the tecnology has improved. Secondly nothing was lost at all.All the features are intact. The new menu screens are amazing and Universal has created the best looking digi pack I have ever seen. Universal knows exactly what they are doing. They have given these films the treatment they deserve. Now lets get the Creature,Invisible man and Mummy legacy collections.!!!!!!!!!!

12. dwatts

dwatts New Member

Whether you wanted the new set or not is completely up to you, of course - no issue with that. I will comment on this though:

--The idea of having all these great films on 6 discs shows how much the tecnology has improved.--

Clearly this isn't right. Flippers were around before the ORIGINAL discs were released, and it's a step BACKWARD, not forward as far as I'm concerned.

I was, and am, very happy with the older sets which look great lined up on the shelf. There are a couple opf snippets of dialog missing from the Dracula disc, a Frankenstein sound redo that some hate, some like, and apparently a better Bride transfer - so to me it's 6 of one, half a dozen of the other. On reflection - I'm happy I kept my older discs.

It's not unusual to have a lot of interest over just about any new release. That's normal. However, I don't see anything superior about the newer releases, and actually think the digipac and flipper aspect make them something less.

All in all, I'd say just enjoy the movies though - I just can't spend any more money on these films :)

13. Damed

Damed Guest

dwatts - are you picking up the Dracula legacy to get House of Dracula?

14. dwatts

dwatts New Member

Not right now, no. Obviously that is the only "enhancement" worth beans - so if I were to get one, I'd get that. I hate flippers though, and might just wait for the next time they come out :)

15. old-boo-radley

old-boo-radley They stay the same age...

Dwatts, there's no step backward here. Look at the price. You couldn't even get Dracula, Frankenstein and The Wolf Man on DVD for the price of all 14 movies in the Legacy set if I remember correctly. This set isn't a step backward.

16. Horrorfan

Horrorfan New Member

Yes flippers have been around for some time but you haven't seen studios squeeze in as much content as Universal has done with these classics. The price is very nice too. The old Universal discs were about 30 a pop. You get more bang for you buck for 20. Im proud of Universal for the job thats been done here.

17. Horrorfan

Horrorfan New Member

The average flipper has 1 movie on each side. If you look at say the new Abbot and Costello Collections they ave been able to squeeze in 4 movies per disc. Two on on each side and Eight total per set. No quality is lost at all. regardless if you buy them or not These Universal monsters discs are selling better than anyone expected. I think it is great to see older b/w films that a studio built its back on being pushed the way these are. People are responding.

18. dwatts

dwatts New Member

--Dwatts, there's no step backward here. Look at the price. You couldn't even get Dracula, Frankenstein and The Wolf Man on DVD for the price of all 14 movies in the Legacy set if I remember correctly. This set isn't a step backward.--

Well, I wouldn't trade the year I've had them, and enjoyed them, to save a few bucks, I really wouldn't. For me, the odler releases, which are not flippers, and are packaged differently, are better. For those that don't have them, sure thing - go for these. I have no issue with that. They don't offer anything compelling for me.

The price is cheap, for sure. I'd pay more not to have flippers. Each to their own though. I won't be upgrading, and I think overall this set is inferior. However, you DO get these classic films, and that's as cool as it gets :)

19. Horrorfan

Horrorfan New Member

Hey if you have the originals I whole heartly understand.

20. old-boo-radley

old-boo-radley They stay the same age...

Hey, I'm all for you having what you want, duder! But to call a set at this price a step backwards is rather harsh. They could have added another 20 bucks to each set and people still would have bought them. I think this is the finest horror set other than the NOES one out there.