Amazon.com sucks thread

Discussion in 'General' started by rp108, Dec 23, 2005.

1. Harry Warden

Harry Warden Well-Known Member

Steelers and Penguins fan myself. It's so hard to cheer for the Pirates..damn it.

2. Natas

Natas Is it October yet?

I hear you man....... Pirates have gone in the toilet the last month or so. Andrew McCutchen absolutely KILLED my fantasy team this year. His drop off in production has been historic. It's a shame, because the Pirates have a great fan base. I actually got a chance to catch a Pirates-Dodger game at PNC 3-4 years ago when I was in the city on business for a few days...... Probably the most beautiful ball park I've ever been to........ aside from Fenway, of course :D.

3. Workshed

Workshed A Barge Person

That's a bummer. I buy vinyl frequently and have found the packing to be solid.

4. DVD-fanatic-9

DVD-fanatic-9 And the Next Morning, When the Campers Woke Up...

I used to accept the discs I received from Amazon with scratches on them (Curtains, Full Moon's Arcade and Petticoat Planet) but not anymore.

I just wrap up the damaged discs and send them back now. It hasn't cost me anything yet.

Not that I order anything too heavy or elaborate. And they've finally started sending me my orders in bubble mailers too. So far, so good. But we'll see what they do next time I send them a "screw you, I'm not paying for this" message requesting an item replacement or straight-up refund. Maybe they'll try cardboard again then.

Zombie Dude likes this.
  5. Rocker10

Rocker10 Well-Known Member

Quick question for you guys. Not happy with the way a transaction was handled at Amazon. I had pre-ordered a blu-ray at $29.95 and was charged that amount for the item. I am a prime member so shipping was included. Couple of days after I receive it the item drops 5 bucks, then overnight drops to $12.99. There is absolutely no incentive to pre-order and then get kicked in the nuts a few days later. I call them and they were willing to do absolutely nothing. I would have to send it back and re-order it at the new price which is beyond stupid. So fuck them. Where else can I go where the respect is better and prices are fair. I have also been noticing Amazon's pricing going up a little at a time. Extremely frustrated and wondering where else I can get my stuff. Thanks in advance!

Harry Warden and Zombie Dude like this.
  6. shape22

shape22 Well-Known Member

The short answer is you can buy more stuff from Amazon. I've made several requests of this type (probably 3 in a period of 10 years or more). They refunded the difference for me in each of those situations because I buy a lot of stuff from them.

I've gotten away from pre-ordering because this has become an all-too-familiar scenario. Amazon's limited interest genre title pre-order prices frequently drop much lower a week or so after release. I now only pre-order stuff that I know I'll watch on day one.

7. Rocker10

Kind of what I was thinking. I have a very extensive purchase history with Amazon, but they would not budge at all. As I am never in a hurry to get this stuff, more of a collecting than a need it now scenario, I'm done pre-ordering. Thanks for your input. It really doesn't appear that there are a lot of other good options out there these days. If anyone runs across any, feel free to share!

8. shape22

So sorry! That's a real bummer. I hope that's not an indication of where they're heading. I haven't had to do this in a while. Sounds like I'd better do my best to avoid the possibility of winding up in this situation again.

I can totally relate to the collecting mentality. When I'm stressed or annoyed, nothing makes me feel better than buying more movies. Considering the enormous pile of unwatched discs I don't have time for, it's more than a little stupid. But it's been a tough adjustment for me to show restraint with pre-orders that interest me.

I still prefer to stick with Amazon. I've had good experiences with Barnes & Noble, too. But their prices aren't generally any better (with the exception of certain sales). All of the cheaper options seem to come with substantial annoyances.

9. Rocker10

I think I will stick to a week after release as I think you are right on the timeline for the price drops. I too have a problem with restraint, especially with the Halloween marathon that I'm about to embark on, but I'll try really hard ;)

10. russweiss

russweiss Well-Known Member

This is an unfortunate incident and I'm not sure why they didn't take care of you. It's one thing if two months down the line the price drops but within less than a week they should have just refunded you the difference. That is really bad PR for something that could have and should have been resolved with no hassles to you.

Zombie Dude and DVD-fanatic-9 like this.
  11. shape22

It's even dumber considering the customer is a Prime member. Let's hope this was an isolated incident and not indicative of a philosophy shift. Amazon usually isn't dumb enough to risk a good customer over $17.

Zombie Dude likes this.
  12. Rocker10

I will add this as well. I contacted them via chat and was shut down there first, then saw comments somewhere (probably this site) about always calling customer support and having better luck there. No dice, shut down twice. I'd have to believe they have had that policy shift so beware on pre-orders. Always tough for me to wait as I get a bit ocd about watching things go out of stock. Like I said, I have to learn restraint.

13. Zombie Dude

Zombie Dude Well-Known Member

If they ever give me a hard time like that I usually let them know customer service helped me with the same thing in the past with no issues and remind them I'm a good customer and I'm bothered by how I'm currently being treated. That usually works in my experience.

DVD-fanatic-9 likes this.
  14. Harry Warden

The quick answer is stop buying from them. You will get better packaging and shipping directly from the labels themselves. If you have to buy from them, try getting it from an independent seller on Amazon because the main company is a big piece of shit.

15. russweiss

russweiss Well-Known Member

I don't agree Harry. I buy a ton of stuff on Amazon from four different countries and have no issues. Code Red ships movies in bubble mailers. It's not a big deal. Also Amazon routinely offers more selection and usually better pricing.

DVD-fanatic-9 and Zombie Dude like this.
  16. Harry Warden

Glad you have luck with them man. My track record is like walking on swiss cheese.

17. dave13

dave13 Well-Known Member

I've been in that situation several times with Amazon.ca. They've explicitly told me that their policy is that they will honor the "price match guarantee" business as long as it's within a week of it being shipped. I've had one bad experience where they had a sale on a bunch of Kino titles that I literally paid twice what I could have had I waited a few weeks, because it was outside of that one week window. But otherwise, they have always treated me well.

Sorry for the negative experience, man. Perhaps Amazon.com has a different policy, but it can't hurt to call and ask exactly what that policy is. That way at least you know, and can hold them to a certain level of consistency going forward.

I always watch the things I've recently bought like a hawk for the week after they're shipped, just in case.

18. zbinks

zbinks Beset by Creatures of the Deep

The US policy is different.

https://www.amazon.com/gp/help/customer/display.html?nodeId=201133150

They will sometimes make exceptions, but it's always done on a case by case basis, and it seems to depend on when you contact them and who you speak to.

The US site also seems to have discontinued the "tell us about a lower price" links on their listings, altogether.

19. Rocker10

I just settled on the idea of no more pre-ordering. My experiences have been decent up to this point, but this soured me a bit. I hate the out of stock shit when I wait too long and this is the biggest reason why I pre-ordered. I went at them twice and they said no way. They also sent links 3 times to my email stating lower price policies which the way it was worded meant more price match then their own pricing dropping after release. Like I mentioned before, it feels like a recent policy shift, so I shifted my own policy to not play the pre-order game anymore. Thanks for all of the feedback guys!

20. buck135

buck135 Kanamit

Every time this thread pops up, this comes to mind...

18b.gif

Zombie Dude likes this.