Amazon.com sucks thread

Discussion in 'General' started by rp108, Dec 23, 2005.

1. baggio

baggio Well-Known Member

Amazon will absolutely refund you the price if it drops lower than when you bought it. It has to be within 7 days(used to be 30). So unless this wasn't the case then you should have zero problems in getting a partial refund. I've done it multiple times over the years.

On pre-orders. I've never placed a pre-order unless I know for a fact that it is going to limited edition like Twilight Time for example. Prices come down all the time, and sales are held consistently between various online retailers. My rule is if I waited for years for a title to come to DVD/Blu then I can wait a few more weeks or months even. You know how many times I cleaned up on Kino sales at DDD? Gotta have patience.

A tip, which I've said over and over and over again in this thread. NEVER ask for a refund using email or chat. Always talk to a live person. I never heard the word NO from a Amazon Customer Service rep. Maybe it's just my charm, but I've yet run into a rep that couldn't handle my problem.

Last edited: Sep 21, 2016
    DVD-fanatic-9 likes this.
  2. Harry Warden

Harry Warden Well-Known Member

Totally agree Bags - The best thing one can do is wait awhile - especially for big studio horror films. They always drop in price. I haven't paid more than $10 for any large studio blu or blu/dvd combo. Smaller labels like Shout, Synapse, Kino, etc...are the ones I buy first and you can wait for those too. Just have some patience.

3. Rocker10

Rocker10 Well-Known Member

Thanks for the info baggio. I do believe I saw your comments and that is why I tried a second time on the phone and they still said no, no refund of difference. I am trying the patience thing, not going to be easy. ;)

4. Workshed

Workshed a.k.a. Villyan Shit

Here's the thing:

You preordered the product and you got it before the people who did not preorder. Therefore, you had more 'time' to enjoy it than they did--that 'time' has a value. Therefore, the 'value' of that time is reflected in the premium price you paid. Now, you can say that the time you had was only a couple more days, but then there's your answer, right? If you value price over time w/ the product (i.e. receiving it before others), then you should not preorder and should, instead, wait for a price drop. If you value having the product before most people, then you should expect to pay a premium over those that do not value 'time' as highly. This is why prices drop, after all, to encourage more people to buy the product. This is not my personal view, please note--rather, it is a view from a company trying to make money.

Asking a retailer to give you both: the product before everyone else and at the price that those who did not receive the product at the time you did is your right. Note that the people who paid less cannot turn around and ask Amazon to then give them the product on release date. Well, I mean they can, but Amazon cannot bend space-time. Yet. :) So, keep pressing, but at least understand that Amazon is not trying to screw you. To them, they delivered a product to a customer who valued time over price.

5. baggio

baggio Well-Known Member

But pre order doesn't usually mean you get it before everybody else. Plus, I can "pre order" 4 hours before a blu goes on sale vs someone that orders it the minute in goes on sale. We're both gonna get the item shipped the same day.

One way your theory applies is to Xbox/PS4 games. That, people pay premium for early access.

Workshed and Zombie Dude like this.
  6. dave13

dave13 Well-Known Member

the only reason i pre-order is because, in the past, prices tended to be at their lowest during the pre-order phase. that's the case for criterion discs. and (although they're not as cheap as they once were) it still seems to be the case with scream factory discs. i cannot remember the last time i watched something that i pre-ordered the day it arrived. it's far more likely that it will sit on my shelf for a month or more before i get around to it.

7. Rocker10

Actually not the case. The item didn't even come into their stock to ship to me until 2 days after release, then an additional 2 days shipping on top of that. 2 days later it's 17 bucks cheaper. I get your point but it doesn't make it any better.

Zombie Dude likes this.
  8. Workshed

That's a good point. Although I'm not sure why you'd preorder something 4 hours before release when you anticipate a drop in price upon/near release.

9. Workshed

The item wasn't available for delivery on release day? Why did it take 2 days for delivery time if you are a prime member? Your example seems to be missing some information. In any case, I suggest you return the item and order it at the price you prefer, if price is important to you.

10. baggio

baggio Well-Known Member

When I use the word "sale" I didn't mean price drop. I meant as in "this is for sale"

Zombie Dude likes this.
  11. Workshed

ok.

12. Rocker10

I moved on. I don't pre-order with them anymore because it bit me in the ass. No information missing. On release day item was not physically in Amazon's stock and wasn't until 2 days after release. They shipped it the day it came in and prime shipping is 2 day shipping, thus the 2 days it took to get to me. 2 days after I get it, the price has dropped by 17 bucks.

I really was only looking for other options when I posted my original post. Most of the people around here are like me in what they buy and I felt that this would be a great place to get further ideas on other vendors who may work better for me. I gave the example only to let people know why I was looking elsewhere.

13. Harry Warden

Harry Warden Well-Known Member

Just stop buying from Amazon. You'll be happier in the long run. :)

14. Natas

Natas ....on the warm side of the dooooooor

I fucking love me some Amazon. Never had one problem. I think some forget the fact there's a 3rd party in the mix here that needs some blame.....called the United States Postal Service.

15. Workshed

I've never had an item take longer than one day to reach me if it was available via prime. Your experience sounds strange to me, but good luck.

16. The Joker

The Joker Well-Known Member

Honestly the only complaint I have about Amazon is how Prime sometimes works. For example, yesterday I ordered a Prime item. It won't be here until Tuesday. I understand it's technically two business days, but I am effectively receiving the item 5 days after I ordered it. In that respect, there's no benefit to even having Prime aside from not paying for shipping. Prime is advertised as free two-day shipping. Realistically, very few people are going to read the Magna Carta length fine print where it specifies "business days." To me, two day shipping should be just that. Mail is delivered on Saturday. If I order a Prime item on Thursday, I feel I should have it on Saturday, certainly not Tuesday. That's two days away from it taking a full week.

Zombie Dude likes this.
  17. russweiss

russweiss Well-Known Member

Whenever I order items it only takes 2 days. I can't recall ever having a 2 day ship take 5 days to get.

18. DVD-fanatic-9

DVD-fanatic-9 And the Next Morning, When the Campers Woke Up...

I'm pretty sure whoever offers you the best prices and the best selection of things you actually want to be is the option you should always go with.

I can't possibly speak any higher of Amazon's Prime shipping costcuts when you're buying cheap stuff. Have your problems all been with pre-orders?

19. Rocker10

If that was directed at me here is my answer. I have been buying from Amazon for 12 years and have been a Prime member for quite a few consecutive years. I have always been relatively happy and have very rarely made orders with anyone else. My pre-orders almost always been very good experiences with many refunds due to price differences on release day. Very rarely do I get anything that takes more than the 2 days. This recent order was the exception. It got to me in 2 days, but was shipped 2 days late due to no stock. The way they handled my problem had my jaw on the floor as I have a very extensive purchase history with them. I won't write them off completely, just won't pre-order as I feel they changed something in their policies.

20. shape22

shape22 Well-Known Member

Amazon is, BY FAR, the most reputable and customer-friendly online retailer that I've ever done business with. That said, I am getting irritated by the continued "reserved for Prime members" status of the $12.99 The Monster of Piedras Blancas deal. I don't ever pay for shipping if I can help it, and I'm happy to wait an extra week if it means free shipping. I could understand reserving the initial stock of uber-popular items for Prime members. But I'm probably 1 of 1,000 people in the world who want this Blu-ray. I really hope Amazon doesn't start holding more items like this hostage. I can deal with the other stuff they've done. But this kind of stuff really irritates me. I don't care about the perks of Prime, I'll never play ball, and I don't appreciate the attempts at coercion.

I've never even seen this movie, but I've wanted to since I saw screencaps in a book 40 years ago. Let me have it, Amazon, you dirty, money-grubbing bastards!

othervoice1 and Zombie Dude like this.