Amazon.com sucks thread

Discussion in 'General' started by rp108, Dec 23, 2005.

1. Harry Warden

Harry Warden Well-Known Member

Wrong. Price is not an issue for me. What is an issue is when I've ordered from Amazon, every fucking order has arrived with damaged merchandise. I would rather pay twice as much for decent packing then to save money and receive shit. Free shipping and pre-ordering mean nothing to me if I can't receive the items in decent shape.

2. buck135

buck135 Kanamit

After my prior order of two softcover books which somehow survived the abuse that the yellow bubble mailer received, my next order consisting of a blu-ray was cracked and smashed in the lower right hand corner of the case. Luckily the disc and artwork were okay. The case was a crummy eco case which went into the recycling bin anyway, however this is ridiculous. I have Prime and I've been a customer for 15 years. Drop the damn shows and ship the items in boxes.

DVD-fanatic-9, zbinks and Zombie Dude like this.
  3. DVD-fanatic-9

DVD-fanatic-9 And the Next Morning, When the Campers Woke Up...

And... you're too nice to send things back? Demand refunds, replacements?

I've done it. Me. The most inactive, nebbish person when it comes to telling businesses where they can stick it.

Are you saying you've done it so many times that they should have gotten the message by now and haven't? Because, someone here mentioned the postal service and I'm starting to suspect that it is a matter of their fault.

I'm just saying I suspect.

Zombie Dude likes this.
  4. Harry Warden

Don't get me wrong. I've sent them back for a full refund. Refunds were never the issue. The issue is their packing. Not sure where they are shipped from, but it is always inadequate. Then, the post office gets it, and trust me when I tell you this..they are complete fucking morons, then they make it worse because when I get the packages, they are battered, battered, battered. When I open the packages, there is nothing inside to protect the contents. The dvds/blu rays or books, or whatever, are never wrapped properly in anything. No padding, no cardboard, no bubblewrap. The items are simply tossed into a box that often times is to large for the items, and they roll around throughout the package. So, my days of dealing with Amazon are over. I try to encourage anybody not to shop there.

5. shape22

shape22 Well-Known Member

I ended up ordering The Monster of Piedras Blancas from Best Buy. I emailed Amazon customer service to ask when the "reserved for Prime members" restriction would be lifted. After about 6 hours they replied to tell me how I can notify them that another retailer has a better price. Pretty clear that some of their customer service people are overseas. My message was very clear, and the reply I got indicated zero comprehension of what I was asking.

One order is obviously no big deal to them, but I had enough stuff in my basket to hit the $49 free shipping bar. This practice will eventually bite them.

Zombie Dude likes this.
  6. Zombie Dude

Zombie Dude Well-Known Member

That's why I always go for the Chat option. I've had the same experience with emails and got over waiting for a reply that is often less than helpful. I seem to always have success with Chat though and it's quicker to explain your situation to them should they not understand the first time.

7. shape22

I agree, and my experiences have been similar. I just wasn't in the mood for it. No loss to me, just them.

Zombie Dude likes this.
  8. msw7

msw7 Re-animated member

I just ordered several books from Amazon, and they arrived all in one oversized box with no packaging or padding material inside. The books slid all over each other, and got a bit messed up, which always irritates me. None are damaged enough to bother returning, but it's annoying.

It turns out that I want to return one of the undamaged books anyway (it wasn't what I hoped it would be), which is also the smallest book.

I'm really tempted to just put it in the enormous box that they all came in, with no packing or padding, and ship it back that way.

Would that be petty?

9. DVD-fanatic-9

DVD-fanatic-9 And the Next Morning, When the Campers Woke Up...

My Shout!'s of The Howling and Day of the Dead arrived today together in a bubble mailer. About 3PM. After my 10PM Wednesday night order. Perfectly snug. Discs perfectly clean (can't say the same for my Synapse Tenebre) (but that wasn't loose in its case) (this is clearly fault at Synapse's end methinks) and artwork and packaging in-tact with no tears or glue issues.

Don't mean to brag, but it's still nice.

10. Harry Warden

No it wouldn't be petty. This is EXACTLY what they did to me, but several of mine were hardback with dust jackets. The dust jacket were completely ripped up and the paperbacks all had really bad corner bends. Send them back and try eBay. I have found all of the books that I ordered from Amazon on eBay. All arrived in perfect condition because they are all small independent sellers. The few that I got on Amazon that were not damaged were from small independent sellers and not Amazon direct. Their packing is for shit.

11. shape22

For all the "Amazon sucks" people, THIS is why you do business with Amazon. I reluctantly pre-ordered all 3 of the new Stephen King Blu-rays from B&N. It has already arrived. But today I got cancellation notices for both Salem's Lot and Cat's Eye, because "your order contained an item that is no longer scheduled for release." Humorously enough, when you search their website these items just show "temporarily out of stock online." So now they won't honor the prices they gave me, and I can't get a $10 or less pre-order from another vender, either.

No matter what Amazon f's up, they almost always make it right. Even when I've been a little bit whiny, they've made policy exceptions to keep me happy. Barnes & Noble and Deep Discount have both recently screwed me like this, and they could care less.

I've also received lots of damaged books and movies. Without exception, they immediately ship a replacement order and always give you a return shipping label. I'll deal with that over this sort of nonsense any day. And in my experience, THE WORST packaging methods used by Amazon are the TYPICAL methods for every other online vendor I've used. Obviously, not everyone has had the same experiences. But when you weigh all the pros and cons, I don't think there's another online vendor that even approaches the service that Amazon delivers.

zbinks, maskull, Katatonia and 3 others like this.
  12. The Joker

The Joker Well-Known Member

Again, my issue is with their claims of free 2-day shipping for Prime items, when ordering something Wednesday evening after the cutoff means it won't arrive until Tuesday. Sorry, that's not 2-day shipping by any stretch of the imagination.

Now, my wife bought me the entire original 60s Batman series on Blu for our anniversary back in June. When it arrived, it had two of the same discs in Season 3. We called Amazon about it, and they immediately sent out a replacement and a return label. The replacement even arrived in better physical shape than the first set, so I was happy.

Zombie Dude likes this.
  13. zbinks

zbinks Beset by Creatures of the Deep

Same happened to me on the same two titles. B&N tried to pull the same thing with The Hills Have Eyes and Dead-End Drive-In, too, but I was able to reorder those at the discounted prices (for the time being, at least). It was this exact scenario that prevented me from cancelling my Amazon preorder for Hills, since it's a limited release.

I'd go a step further and say that Amazon's worst is generally better than the typical shipping methods of B&N, Best Buy, Wal-Mart or any of the Super D (Deep Discount, ImportCDs, Blowitoutahere, etc.) etailers. I'm really not a fan of corrugated paper mailers or non-padded plastic baggy envelopes, and I don't think I've ever gotten such mailers from Amazon.

14. msw7

msw7 Re-animated member

I order a lot of books, including art books, and I have to say that places like Bud's Art Books or Flesk publications ship their books with care. I don't expect amazon to handle everything with kid gloves, but clearly they just don't care. I'm willing to bet that it's because the cost of returns for damaged books is less than the cost of adequate packing material, but for a company that prides itself on customer over profit, I just hoped they would be better than they are.

(I probably won't ship that book back in an oversized box just to be snarky; it's tempting but if it did get damaged or lost I don't want to have to pay for it)

Harry Warden and ImmortalSlasher like this.
  15. Zombie Dude

Zombie Dude Well-Known Member

It's funny you say that because those cardboard mailers usually protect my items pretty well and I'm often pretty annoyed when Amazon doesn't use them. I find they hold the items well with little movement. Bubble mailers are the ones that often give me trouble with loose discs and damaged items.

16. ImmortalSlasher

ImmortalSlasher Active Member

I'm looking forward to ordering from Bud Plant this holiday. I want to see if they discount a few items during Black Friday. I think they did last year and I missed them. I never worry about what I will receive from them. Also I'm waiting for the deluxe version Mark Schultz Storms at Sea. That might be pretty good and have some horror themes.

Does Amazon put customer over profit? I think they know that the volume they sell is enough to negate the cost of returns. Of course they get shipping deals from USPS and UPS because of that volume. But Amazon even has their own delivery company now. They delivered a few items to me by surprise. Also they have pick up locations. I just think they care about fast sales. There was an article or perhaps post here about how Amazon treats people in their shipping area and how quickly they need to get packages out. Bud Plant would never ship books in the manner that Amazon does. Or course they are smaller. But still, I order a $100 book from Bud Plant and it's treated well. I order an $100 book from Amazon and it's in a box that's too big with a piece of paper or a strip of bubble cushion that only covers one side of the book.

msw7 and Harry Warden like this.
  17. Harry Warden

Exactly. Don't give a shit about all of the Amazon fans here. I at least put my money where my mouth is and I don't buy shit from them anymore. I will go through an independent seller or directly from a company any day of the week rather then deal with some oversized middle man like Amazon. Fuck them. Incidentally, with all of the fanboys here defending Amazon, I have to admit I am quite surprised that they continue to kiss Amazon's ass inside of a thread that is titled " Amazon.com sucks. " I kinda got the impression that it was a thread to gripe about their rotten service as opposed to praising their every move. Just sayin!!

18. Harry Warden

I guess I am snarky then too. I would find an oversized box, put nothing in it except the damaged book, and send it back.

msw7 likes this.
  19. Workshed

Workshed a.k.a. Villyan Shit

What Eli Roth is to baggio, Amazon is to Harry Warden.

(And Jimmy Fallon is to me.)

Zombie Dude and Harry Warden like this.
  20. Harry Warden

;):D

Workshed likes this.