Amazon.com sucks thread

Discussion in 'General' started by rp108, Dec 23, 2005.

1. msw7

msw7 Re-animated member

Storms at Sea was quite good - I have the non-deluxe version and the artwork is phenomenal. I'm eagerly waiting for 2 Mark Schultz books - the deluxe Storms at Sea, (I can't resist buying it again) and the new volume of Carbon. He's been my favorite artist for many years now.

2. Anthropophagus

Anthropophagus Well-Known Member

I just got a notice that my latest order has shipped, for the first time ever they used a courrier named Intelcom rather than Canada Post. I looked up the reviews on Intelcom and it's brutal, less than 2 stars based on over 300 reviews on Google. Seems like a nightmare.
    I have no idea what would possess Amazon to favor a disreputable courrier over Canada Post with the Christmas holidays coming.
    I will wait and see, but I am preparing for the worst.

3. zbinks

zbinks Beset by Creatures of the Deep

That's the thing. They're not quite rigid enough to be cardboard and they're a little too snug. For me, they seem to get beat to hell in the mail and they seem particularly prone to gouging and crush damage. The only thing I can figure is that the bubble wrap is just a bit better at spreading pressure across the package.

...and naturally, I got one from Amazon today. :( They did add an extra piece of cardboard between the Blu-Ray and the packaging, though, so that was a plus.

Zombie Dude likes this.
  4. Zombie Dude

Zombie Dude Well-Known Member

Yeah I must say I've had at least a couple of orders arrive with similar damage issues. Bubble mailers (at least those traveling overseas to me) usually fair worse though. At least that's my experience with them recently.

5. Anthropophagus

Does anyone here have any experience ordering from Amazon Germany?
    I guess it was only a matter of time until I experienced my own issues with Amazon.
    The last was in October 2016 when I ordered a cd box set from the US site. It shipped, I got a tracking number and then on the estimated delivery date absolutely nothing, to add insult to injury it updated to 'delivered' status that night. I called the helpline and was told to scour the neighborhood, check my side yards, my backyard and even go to the neighbors to make sure they did not have my package. Sure enough nothing!! I called back and was told that shippers often automatically update the status to delivered whether it's been delivered or not? To which I countered if the tracking numbers and shippers are that unreliable what the Hell is the purpose of having a tracking number in the first place. My property is under video surveillance 24/7 so it's pretty hard to miss a delivery or delivery truck.
    Now on to this latest foible with amazon.de out of Germany. Ordered last week, got my shipping confirmation and tracking number the next day and then absolutely no updates on progress. I noticed they used a shipping company called 'iparcel' which was acquired by UPS at some point. Looked them up and pretty much abysmal reviews across the board, numerous complaints globally, lost packages, damages and significant delays. Decided to e-mail iparcel and received a reply a few hours later that amazon never did send them the package to be expedited. In turn, I e-mailed amazon.de who assured me that they did in fact expedite it to iparcel but because of a label being ripped off or not legible the item can no longer be tracked. If the item is not here by the 15th of February to let them know.
    So any one else had these bad experiences with the German branch of Amazon? Any bad experiences with iparcel?
    Never had an issue with Amazon Canada, US or UK in the past but things seem to be getting worse.
    If this is the future of commerce I don't know what to think?
    I sure do long for the days of Tower Records and the like where a huge selection of entertainment was always at my fingertips and did not require all this hassle.

Last edited: Jan 23, 2017
  6. Angelman

Angelman OCD Blu Ray Collector

Ordered from Amazon.de quite a bit - never any issues. It can take a while. but all got here in great shape.

Last edited: Jan 23, 2017
    Anthropophagus likes this.
  7. buck135

buck135 Kanamit

I've never had any issue with Amazon.de, fr, ca, jp, es or it (thankfully). I order from them all quite a bit.

Anthropophagus likes this.
  8. Anthropophagus

Ok, well that's reassuring.
    Thank you.

9. russweiss

russweiss Well-Known Member

I've also ordered from Amazon Germany. Never had an issue and placed about half a dozen orders. Currently waiting for The Naschy blu-ray of Curse of the Devil.

Angelman and Anthropophagus like this.
  10. Anthropophagus

Thanks for the feedback.

11. buck135

buck135 Kanamit

Oh you're all going to love this. I placed an order for two blu-ray's a couple of days ago. The order didn't ship yet. One of the blu-ray's dropped a couple of dollars (the other increased) and my order didn't reflect it as part of their price guarantee. I contacted them and was told that my only option was to cancel the order and reorder it with the new price.

Edit:

I finally spoke to someone who fixed the price issue for me but just know that they do not honor their lowest price anymore. The price that you order something is the price you are getting it for. You are out of luck if the item drops in price before it ships.

Last edited: Jun 20, 2017
    Zombie Dude likes this.
  12. Suicide

Suicide Space Bastard!

I ordered the Paul Naschy set for $60 and that just shipped for $44.79, which is the lowest price it dropped to. I think you just had bad luck with customer service people who might not have known what they were talking about.

Katatonia, russweiss and othervoice1 like this.
  13. russweiss

I ordered the set when if was right around $50.00 and got the lower price as well.

14. fattyjoe37

fattyjoe37 Well-Known Member

I might be misreading buck's initial post, but it doesn't appear the discs he got off Amazon were pre-orders. Amazon does have a pre-order price guarantee where you will get a new release for whatever the cheapest price was after you placed your order until the item ships, but they do not do price matches for regular items that have already been released.

Zombie Dude likes this.
  15. Suicide

Suicide Space Bastard!

Actually I think I was misreading buck's post, guess I just assumed they were preorders.

16. buck135

buck135 Kanamit

Neither blu-ray were preorders. Melencholia dropped by $3, Don't Breathe increased by $4 since I placed the order on Saturday. They will ship on Thursday since I let Prime lapse. I spoke to four representatives and they all said that this is how it is going forward. They adjusted the price difference on Melencholia as a courtesy.

17. Katatonia

Katatonia Hellbound Heart

I had it on pre-order for that, but decided to just cancel and wait to get it on the B&N sale cheaper. With a current 15% off coupon, it came down to $42.92 shipped with tax included. It looks like their price has shot back up now though.

... and this is what I do love about Amazon: I ordered Adobe Photoshop Elements the other week for $60. I chose to "Ship in an Amazon box" (as a gift) at checkout. They shipped it in a bubble mailer, so the software package did get crushed some. I contacted them to complain, but saying it wasn't worth the hassle to send it back and get a replacement... so they refunded the full $60 and said to just keep it.

Last edited: Jun 20, 2017
    Zombie Dude likes this.
  18. Zombie Dude

Zombie Dude Well-Known Member

Same thing happened to me today with Amazon UK. A blu I ordered came damaged, I even offered to show photos and was told that there was no need as they believe their customers which I thought was really great. Anyway they offered a partial refund at first but I said that would be pointless for me as I planned on buying it again (it wasn't currently in stock) so they gave me a full refund instead and said to keep it. Can't complain.

Katatonia likes this.
  19. russweiss

I received my Paul Naschy Collection set yesterday. Today I receive an email saying that the package has been delayed and I will receive it later than expected. Gave me a good laugh.

Angelman, Workshed and Zombie Dude like this.
  20. Angelman

Angelman OCD Blu Ray Collector

Got mine last night.