Amazon.com sucks thread

Discussion in 'General' started by rp108, Dec 23, 2005.

1. maybrick

maybrick Well-Known Member

I ordered Fright Night from Amazon uk and it should have been here on Friday. I know its still too soon to harass them, but historically whenever I ordered from them they would actually be more timely than when I ordered from the domestic site. Things that were supposed to get here in two weeks wound up coming in one. I guess that is a thing of the past.

2. Matt89

Matt89 Well-Known Member

Speaking of Amazon UK, they charge a fucking import fees deposit now? For fucks sake...

And don't call it a "deposit" when you don't get your money back. Just call it a fee. It's an import "fee".

~Matt

3. Katatonia

Katatonia Hellbound Heart

I've always had deliveries range widely in times from Amazon UK...especially if it's sent by Royal Post. I've had things arrive in just a few days, or a couple of rare times it took nearly 2 months to arrive.

Their customer service on there is always A+++ excellent though, so I wouldn't worry.

4. russweiss

russweiss Well-Known Member

I've never had an issue with Amazon UK. Most recently received the Herschell Gordon Lewis Feast box. It arrived very quickly. I order movies from them once or twice a month.

5. zbinks

zbinks Beset by Creatures of the Deep

True. The typical post-mounted mailbox really isn't well suited to receiving even modestly sized packages, but the typical mail carrier isn't going to get out of the truck unless the package absolutely can't fit the box. Upgrading to a bigger box can be a potential solution. I have one that is about 11" High, 9" Wide and 23" Deep and only cost about $25.00 from Home Depot.

For those who have post-mounted mailboxes, I would strongly recommend switching out a normal sized mailbox for one that is oversized.

They've had this policy in place for a while, now, and not just on the UK site. In theory, whenever AmazonGlobal anticipates a package will get held up at customs for the collection of duties and fees, they'll charge a deposit, upfront. It's supposed to cut through the kind of hassles you had with your Donnie Darko order, but it also prevents customers from sticking return fees on Amazon if they refused to pay the duties and taxes that are due for their package. Amazon will only refund the deposit or part of the deposit if the actual duties and fees collected are less than their estimate, and I'd venture a guess that their estimates are almost never low. I've never been confronted with this deposit, but most US-bound packages won't be detained by customs for duties and fees unless the value exceeds $250.00 USD. Canada has much lower federal threshholds (something like $20.00 - $25.00 CAD, IIRC) and I think they also have varying dues and fees by province.

baggio likes this.
  6. Katatonia

Katatonia Hellbound Heart

Yeah, they shipped my Herschell Gordon Lewis Feast box by expedited UPS, and it arrived super fast... even though I only paid for the cheap shipping method. I've had nothing but good experiences with Amazon UK over the years.

As for Amazon US, I did receive Night School earlier... a day ahead of the release date. That's the 3rd pre-order in the past few weeks that I've gotten a day early from them. That used to happen years ago, but in the recent past they've been like clockwork with release dates.

7. Zombie Dude

Zombie Dude Well-Known Member

I actually had two blu's from Amazon US arrive super fast the other week (like the following week they shipped). I've never received anything that quick from them before. It was a pleasant surprise

8. baggio

baggio Well-Known Member

Forgot about post mounted mailboxes situation. As mine is at the house(front porch) anything that is too big they just leave it on the doorstep or between the door/storm door. It's convenient for the mail carrier because they are right there. Maybe that's why I've been on the side of less damaged goods because of this. Who really knows, or just lucky.

9. Matt89

Matt89 Well-Known Member

I understand the concept, but that's just the issue though. Canada gets fucked on things like this (the import fees on Amazon.com are fucking ludicrous - upwards of $10 sometimes - to the point where it's not even worth it). I've bought maybe 5 things off Amazon.com over the past 10 years because of this. Amazon UK has always been much, much cheaper.

But that's NAFTA for you. Even going over the US border for 24 hours, you're only allowed to bring back $20 worth of stuff before you have to start claiming it. Twenty dollars, twenty fucking dollars, wtf is that shit? That's absolutely ridiculous. If I agree on only one policy issue with Trump, it's that NAFTA needs to be renegotiated (just not the way he specifically wants to do it). Canada has always gotten fucked when it comes to importing shit because of NAFTA.

~Matt

Zombie Dude likes this.
  10. maybrick

If that is $20 Canadian then that is only worse. To us, that’s only $16. They don’t search everybody’s car when they return do they? Or just the “foreign” looking ones?

11. zbinks

I don't think the issues you're experiencing are NAFTA-related, though I don't claim to be a trade agreement expert.

http://www.cbsa-asfc.gc.ca/publications/dm-md/d8/d8-2-16-eng.html

12. Matt89

Matt89 Well-Known Member

It's hit or miss actually. I find that if you're over the border for less than 24 hours (you actually can't legally bring ANYTHING back if you're less then 24 hours in the states) you don't get checked as often.

The one time we got checked I was honest and I ended up paying $60 in taxes. It's total bullshit. So I usually just lie now. Lol. My friend and I went for the Criterion sale one year (Toronto is like an hour or so from the border at Buffalo) and I spent like $250 on criterions. Claimed $0. Suck it.

~Matt

13. Matt89

Matt89 Well-Known Member

14. maybrick

I’ve often wondered how they’d go about proving that something in your car was bought in the US, or what the dollar anount might be. I suppose some things would be obvious, but clothing can be worn or mixed in with luggage, and you could claim you brought those movie with you to watch with an American friend. Most things could be logically explained away once removed from original packaging, I would think.

Zombie Dude likes this.
  15. zbinks

Trump may be trying to make it a NAFTA issue, sure, but as far as I can tell, these aren't issues that are currently related to NAFTA, as it exists today. The current low threshhold for duties and taxes is solely the domain of the Canadian government at the federal, provincial and/or territorial levels, as far as I'm aware.

Matt89 likes this.
  16. Matt89

Matt89 Well-Known Member

Lol my mom and my aunt used to do that when we'd go shopping in Buffalo when I was a kid. They'd go for a day, buy a ton of shit and then just pack it in a suitcase (or wear layers) when going back to Canada.

Needless to say my mother is crazy.

~Matt

17. maybrick

Yeah, crazy... like a fox!

Anyways, it’s all a trade off. I’d take higher import fees any day of the week if it meant I could have affordable health care and higher education.

18. Anthropophagus

Anthropophagus Well-Known Member

Anyone with any recent experiences with Iparcel shipping out of the UK?
    Left for country of destination (Canada) on Oct.26th and no updates since then?

19. maybrick

Wow, how many different delivery systems do they use?

This will be of no use to you, but I ordered Fright Night from there Oct 5th to the US and they used something called Ascendia Flat (with no tracking). Was supposed to take 2 weeks and wound up being 3 1/2 days. Different countries and different deliverers, but I can’t imagine it taking much longer than that (although I have heard worse).

Anthropophagus likes this.
  20. zbinks

It's a UPS subsidiary. I have three packages pending via I-Parcel. All three arrived at I-Parcel and shipped out from the UK on 10/25/2017. As of yesterday, it looks like all three were dropped into the USPS mail system in Inglewood, CA (?) and were last processed in Edgewood, NY. because travelling coast to coast within a span of three hours is virtually impossible. Tracking says they should arrive on Saturday, 11/04/2017.

I have a feeling that Inglewood, CA "stop" was just an electronic transaction to create USPS tracking information because:

A. It doesn't make sense for an item from the UK to travel all the way to southern California for customs clearance.
    B. There's apparently only a three hour gap between the tracking events in Inglewood, CA and Edgewood, NY and that's at least a 5-6 hour flight.

Anthropophagus likes this.