Amazon.com sucks thread

Discussion in 'General' started by rp108, Dec 23, 2005.

1. spawningblue

spawningblue Deadite

Yeah Amazon is awesome. Any problems I've had with them have been solved quickly. I was even able to exchange a movie that wasn't working that I bought from them a year before!

2. Dave

Dave Pimp

I love Amazon.

LOVE.

Not just because they are basically paying for the site. Well, you guys are, but you know what I mean.

I use them almost exclusively for online shopping. I'll check around but if Amazon is a few bucks more, I'll use them. Prime is awesome. I order something and it is here two days later. If I need to return something, shipping is free and I can print the label out online.

Amazon Mom - cheapest source of diapers. With twins, very important. BJs is cheaper on the formula we use (Gerber), so we get formula there.

Finally, Kindle books - yummy.

Yes, I love Amazon. It sucks they will soon be charging Mass sales tax but not much I can do on that. Wife and I are considering a move back to NH, which is a sales and income tax free state.

3. Katatonia

Katatonia Hellbound Heart

That's one thing I really love about Amazon. Returns are super easy, and they never give you any trouble there...whether you want a replacement or a refund. When I have received defective items, they've almost always overnighted me a replacement.

And, this was awesome of them also recently:

I ordered about 15 new Blu-rays (all Paramount) for $1.00 each when they had a pricing bug that was valid for about 45 minutes. They didn't cancel any of those, they shipped them all. I really wouldn't have blamed them if they would have cancelled them.

4. crikan

crikan Well-Known Member

I already have the 3-Disc Emerald edition. The film looks fantastic. I wish I could justify buying it again. That new "The Making of The Wonderful Wizard of Oz" featurette sounds interesting.

5. kcgaidin

kcgaidin New Member

Amazon Prime is the shit....I tell everyone I know how good its been for me.

6. Dave

Dave Pimp

Amazon Prime - borrow a book a month on the Kindle, too. I have to admit there aren't a ton I'm interested in but I usually end up borrowing 3 or 4 a year.

7. shape22

shape22 Well-Known Member

I can't speak highly enough of Amazon. I order a ton of stuff from them, problems are extremely rare, and they are ALWAYS sorted out quickly and conveniently.

I used to order a lot of discs from Deepdiscount and DVD Pacific. But their return/replacement procedures were positively Draconian. No more. I'd rather pay an extra dollar to order from a merchant that values its customers.

I've never sold anything through Amazon. So I can't speak about that. But as a consumer they are by far the best retailer I've ever found. I even order a decent number of grocery items through subscribe and save.

8. DVD-fanatic-9

DVD-fanatic-9 And the Next Morning, When the Campers Woke Up...

I actually have a very serious complaint- I've tried to watch Amazon On-Demand video stuff and the player is awful. It skips like mad. I tried it on 2 different computers- it was a nightmare both times.

9. HoldenMcNeil

HoldenMcNeil Member

The only problem I had was that my Lord of the Rings blu-ray set had a huge dent in the corner, but that was UPS's fault.

10. Anthropophagus

Anthropophagus Well-Known Member

This has been precisely my experience as well, I could not be happier with Amazon.

11. Kim Bruun

Kim Bruun Resident Scream Queen

I've only ever had positive experiences with amazon and amazon uk. EVER. I've had discs with faulty playback, and they've sent me another copy, no questions asked. And they rarely ask me to return the defective disc.

12. SaviniFan

SaviniFan I Have A Fetish

Another Amazon fan here. Prime is the way to go and easily pays itself off over a year's use. I have never had a bad experience with Amazon.

13. cjg

cjg Active Member

I cant believe they haven't jacked up the cost of Prime its been $80.00 for years it seems. Hopefully they don't.

14. crikan

crikan Well-Known Member

Maybe they don't raise the price because its a loss leader. Myself, I don't pay for Prime becasue I don't see the value. I get free shipping on the few things I buy from Amazon so why pay $80 for something I get for free (I can wait 5 days to receive my items). I also don't find thier streaming library to be near as compelling as Netflix so that doesn't work for me either. It sounds like many of you don't look for better prices at other retailers because you are so enamored with Prime Shipping. And thats the hook. Have people sign up for a cheap 2-day shipping subscription and they won't go anywhere else. Pretty smart.

Just to give my perspective. Last week I bought a 55' Samsung TV and a Yamaha reveiver at Nebraska Furniture Mart for a combined $600 less than Amazon. The week before that I saved $16 on an ASUS router by shopping at Newegg. And I've bought well more than 100 DVDs and Blu-rays over the past few months cheaper than if I was shopping at Amazon. Amazon is great but there are many times where you can do better elsewhere.

15. cjg

cjg Active Member

Amazon- Blu ray, DVD, CDS, Books - Cant beat their prices on Books and most CDs
    ImportCDs-Blu Or DVDs - If I can get cheaper then at Amazon
    Go Hastings- Used stuff 99 Cents shipping , no way I am paying $3.99 shipping at Amazon
    Deep Discount- not to much anymore
    Appliances - Buy locally no way I am buying that stuff on-line
    Some of us do shop around.

16. shape22

shape22 Well-Known Member

I don't think anyone is suggesting that Amazon is always the cheapest option for everything--or that you should blindly purchase everything there. A lot of us ARE saying that you can always shop at Amazon with 100% confidence--and that their prices are almost always competitive.

It took me a long time to figure this out. But cheapest is rarely the best way to go. No matter who you shop with something will eventually go wrong. When that happens Amazon will make it right immediately with zero hassle. That hasn't been my experience with any other online retailer.

17. Chomp

Chomp Rudest Motherfucker on HD

My friends kid dropped her Kindle hard enough that the fall rendered it inoperable. Amazon overnighted a brand new Kindle the same day with practically no questions asked.

That type of service is pretty much unheard of nowadays. For comparisons sake just try telling Apple you dropped your IPod and see what happens.

18. deepred

deepred Member

I agree, whenever I've had a problem, Amazon has really taken care of me in ways that other companies have not. I also like that Amazon refunds you your money if a seller does not ship your item, unlike eBay.

19. Paff

Paff Super Moderator

Yup. You won't hear complaints from me. Last year, I got a hand-me-down mountain bike that was for all intents and purposes unrideable. I rebuilt the entire thing from the frame up, all with parts bought on Amazon.

This past weekend, I noticed the sound from my car stereo seemed too favored to the right. Turns out the tweeter on my left door was blown. $70/pair (+tax) at the local independent car stereo place, Best Buy doesn't even keep them in stock (would have to be a special order), or $37 shipped from Amazon. Take a guess which option I went with.

20. msw7

msw7 Re-animated member

I just got a fantastic deal from amazon - the Alien Anthology blu ray set for $11 (well, including $8 worth of credit card reward points). Too good a price to pass up. The thing is, I saw it listed on the page for $19.99, but when I added it to my cart the price was $33. I emailed them and asked them what the error was. They wrote back and said they didn't see the lower price. So I wrote back again and explained how I had seen it, and that it might have just been a glitch and that I didn't expect them to honor it. They gave me a $14 credit for the purchase of that title, and told me the price had indeed dropped 'for a very short time'.

They certainly didn't have to honor the price, but they did, and that's just phenomenal customer service.