AMC in HD

Discussion in 'High Definition' started by Shannafey, Jan 30, 2010.

1. Shannafey

Shannafey Don't Monkey With Me!

South Florida, But Far from the Hell that is Miami
    I had a welcome surprise last night. I pulled up my cable guide and noticed that I now have AMC in HD. This is one of my favorite movie stations on cable and I usually stick in on when I'm not willing to commit to a DVD or a show and I just want some TV on, like when I'm cleaning up my kitchen. I know the movies are cut, but they have an amazing selection of films and some great horror. I watched Return of the Living Dead last night. Though not amazing in HD, it looked great! Too Bad Linnea's stuff was cut!! :(
    And on top of the great movies, they have the TV rights to Walking Dead, the best zombie comic series ever! So, I'm glad that when it starts, I'll be able to see it in HD! Escape from LA is on this week, so I'll probably check it out!

2. YottNik

YottNik Pay the price!

I watch AMC quite a bit, usually when there's nothing much on and I don't feel like popping in a DVD. Don't get it in HD, though, at least the last time I checked.

3. KamuiX

KamuiX The Eighth Samurai

I've had it for a while myself...my greatest surprise was a couple weeks ago when my cable system added TCM HD and MGM HD. Very cool indeed :D

4. Matt89

Matt89 Well-Known Member

TCM HD....that sounds fucking sweet.

So with AMC in HD, does that mean they'll FINALLYYYYY start showing movies in their proper fucking ratios? It's so fucked. They either show shitty cropped fullscreen versions of films, or they're in the wrong ratio entirely. They showed Pearl Harbor in 1.85:1 and uhhh...yeah its correct ratio is definitely 2.35:1. They do this a lot, actually. 2.35:1 films are always cropped to 1.85:1, and 1.85 or 1.66 films are shown full frame.

Nice to know that with them going HD, they'll finally begin showing movies properly.

~Matt

5. HellRazor

HellRazor New Member

Great. I can't wait to see my favorite movies cut to shreds and constantly interrupted by HD commercials.

6. Matt89

Matt89 Well-Known Member

Yeah hopefully this improves things. Because right now, AMC is probably the worst movie station (along with Peachtree) that exists today. They totally cut movies to shit. EVERYTHING is censored, it's ridiculous. Hopefully with HD this might stop? Otherwise this is a big wasted opportunity.

~Matt

7. Paff

Paff Super Moderator

What would really make my day is if my carrier provided HD options for TCM, IFC, and Sundance Channel.

It annoys me to no end, seeing all the great movies on those channels, but in SD only.

8. HellRazor

HellRazor New Member

Yeah, I remember when AMC used to be good. Then commercials came and it all went to shit. I never watch it any more.

9. Chet Desmond Jr

Chet Desmond Jr New Member

I have Time Warner in Columbus, Ohio and they recently added IFC in HD. It was an incredible disappointment - The aspect ratios on the channel are beyond inept. Most things are stretch-o-vision even when proper anamorphic transfers exist on DVD.
    AMC once showed the pan and scanned "Halloween" stretched to fit widescreen TVs. Both channels are a waste in HD for the most part IMO.