Amer (2009) VS Kiss of the Damned (2012)

Discussion in 'Reader Polls' started by Ash28M, Apr 20, 2014.

?

Euro Retro

1. Amer (2009)

1 vote(s)
    7.7%
  2. Kiss of the Damned (2012)

12 vote(s)
    92.3%
  1. Ash28M

Ash28M Active Member

[​IMG][​IMG]

I really enjoyed both these films but which of these retro 70's Euro throwbacks do you prefer?

2. shape22

shape22 Well-Known Member

I've only seen part of Kiss Of The Damned. But that's more than enough for me to make a decision. Amer is a pretentious, self-indulgent mess. I was impressed by some of the cinematography. But you can't make a successful feature-length film without a narrative. Kiss Of The Damned for me.

3. Body Boy

Body Boy Well-Known Member

I strongly disagree, but I do think that Amer suffers for being too emotional.

4. Hork!

Hork! New Member

Both films are pretentious stink bombs found both to be awful.

5. maybrick

maybrick Well-Known Member

I haven't seen Amer but I had to vote for Kiss of the Damned. Pretentious? I think a lot of people mistake smart for pretention. Kiss is admittedly very nicely shot and rather slow moving compared to the bombastic shakiness of most modern day horror films, but I never felt that it was ham-fistedly trying to convey a deeper meaning beyond the story it was telling. If you want pretention, go watch The Tree of Life.

6. Zombie Dude

Zombie Dude Well-Known Member

Never seen Kiss of the Damned but Amer sucks. It often feels like you're watching a commercial that won't end with all its weird shots and cuts. It may have been a good idea for a short film but as a feature length it's a mess. Next to no dialogue, little story and filled with overbearing scenes that go on forever and are shot in the most uncomfortable to view ways. My girlfriend and I ended up laughing through a good chuck of it as we had no idea what was going on, we ended up skipping through the rest which didn't seem to effect what little story there was in any way. Terrible.

7. Chomp

Chomp Rudest Motherfucker on HD

Kiss of the Damned was enjoyable, but certainly nothing to write home about. The soundtrack was nice, it was shot well, however it did come off sort of corny at times. Never once did I find it pretentious though, nor did I ever find it particularly smart...that is sort of an odd assessment I think.

I have not seen Amer. Everything I've seen from the film looks fantastic...trailers, screenshots, posters....but it seems most of the reviews have been relatively negative. The negativity has pretty much deterred any ambition I have to see the film....maybe I'll check it out one day.

8. Zombie Dude

Don't. You'll regret it. It'll be an hour and a half you'd wish you'd put towards another film instead.

9. Ash28M

Ash28M Active Member

Unless you know what types of films Chomp usually is into why discourage him from watching it? I and I know I'm not the only one, really enjoyed it. Besides you said yourself you only half ass watched it anyway.

Last edited: Apr 21, 2014
  10. Zombie Dude

Because it was half assed put together. Besides the first 15 minutes which was actually interesting, the rest of this film is garbage. The film drags like no tomorrow after that beginning with the little girl. I'll happily keep discouraging people from seeing this turd.

11. Ash28M

Ash28M Active Member

Or you can simply let people form thier own opinions.

12. Zombie Dude

I'd rather save them the hassle. ;)

13. maybrick

maybrick Well-Known Member

I thought it was smart in that they did their homework well. They did a great job in taking the early 70s Euro lesbian vampire esthetic and updating it for modern times. In less capable hands it could have been a real embarrassment to watch.

14. Paff

Paff Super Moderator

Kiss of the Damned, and it's not even close (and I think Kiss of the Damned is 3 stars, 3 and a half tops).

As I mentioned in many of the Amer threads, I really gave that film a try. I didn't like it at first, but since I had similar feelings the first time I saw Suspiria, I had planned to watch it again. But then I watched the short films on the disc that were also made by the same duo, and realized they have no interest in telling any kind of story, it's just a series of weird (albeit quite striking) images. When I watched The ABCs of Death, I saw their entry and immediately knew it was them long before I saw their names in the credits. I wish a competent director and/or writer would hire them as DPs providing they have no input whatsoever to the content of the film.

15. Zombie Dude

Glad to hear other people saying Amer was a terrible mess. :evil:

16. DVD-fanatic-9

DVD-fanatic-9 And the Next Morning, When the Campers Woke Up...

Sorry, people, but Kiss of the Damned is shit. I nearly turned it off more times than I can count. I've never seen a true lesbian vampire film (Embrace of the Vampire was fun but I'm guessing that's offensively not-down-&-dirty-enough compared to stuff I've only seen clips of) but Kiss- tell me, right now, what the hell difference is there between this and Twilight? That's what it felt like. It's for kids. Really, really dumb kids.

Hearing other people violently react to this Amer film, calling it things they should also be hurling at The Descent, Haute Tension, Serbian Film, Human Centipede, Frontier(s), yet never did- makes me think there just might be something to see there. Of course, that could just be spite talking (you people spend way more time complaining about me than counting your blessings that You Were Not Present When I Decided to WATCH These Films Based on Your Reckless Recommendations).

17. Ash28M

Ash28M Active Member

Don't you realize how pretentious you come off? You are not the final word on film (nobody is). Get over it.

Last edited: Jun 7, 2014
  18. msw7

msw7 Re-animated member

I thought Amer was intriguing, and not too bad at all. I haven't seen Kiss of the Damned yet though.

19. Hatchetwarrior

Hatchetwarrior Well-Known Member

I think I can speak for everyone on this forum when I say that it would be nice just for once if you could come on here and present an argument without patting yourself on the back for how smart you think you are. Film is subjective and everyone has an opinion, but it doesn't mean yours is always the right one.

20. maskull

maskull I finally got an avatar!!! Yay!!

Voted Kiss of the Damned. I didn't love it but it had it's moments. I didn't hate Amer but I honestly didn't get it for the most part.