"Amer" a modern Giallo?

Discussion in 'Euro Horror' started by Crystal Plumage, Sep 14, 2009.

1. Body Boy

Body Boy Well-Known Member

lol? :D

2. f.ramses

f.ramses sociopath

I'm pretty sure that Night of the Werewolf uses a different version of this song, the version in the trailer appears in What Have They Done to Your Daughters (La polizia chiede aiuto) and La Polizia Sta A Guardare; I haven't seen the latter but according to the track listing/credits for the CD in the Luciano Ercoli Death box set CD it's from there. I wonder if there are other movies that use this song or some version of it...

3. dvdfan

dvdfan Member

4. 655321

655321 Guest

I had to chance to see the movie last weekend.
    I did like the movie, but I still have my reservations.
    The movie is more about style and visaul imaginary which leads to a lack of narrative; dialogue is reduced to the absolute minimum (I think about 20 sentences in the whole movie), which makes it hard to follow.
    The Belgian directors roots in short film are still very apparant, and the movie does feel like 3 short films which are welded together in stead of one feature film.
    But then again: this movie delivers and in a big way. The first short story is haunting and terrifying, the second one sensual and the third start as an erotic, lustfull dream which ends in a nightmare. Beautiful use of colours, camera angels, and scenery (an old mansion near the French town of Menton).
    All in all worth seeing.

5. springjack

springjack New Member

Last edited: Mar 20, 2011
  6. springjack

springjack New Member

Will be released in the UK by Anchor Bay this year.
    ________
    Algerian Recipes

7. pearced

pearced New Member

I saw this last week - twice in fact. It's not a giallo, it's an art movie. Totally abstract, no narrative at all, it just uses the iconography of a giallo.

However the first third is actually very scary and the whole thing is very well made. It's quite sexy as well. But if you go into it expecting a modern giallo, you will be very disappointed, and if you think David Lynch movies are hard to understand then Amer will probably make you furious.

8. Cydeous

Cydeous Axxon N

9. springjack

springjack New Member

But does this work as a giallo?
    ________

10. Horrorphilly

Horrorphilly Member

This trailer looks awesome.It looks like the directors took what a giallo movie consisted of and replicated it in a good way.Dont fuck with the recipe.

sean

11. Cydeous

Cydeous Axxon N

I emailed an independent Theatre in Toronto asking them if they plan on screening Amer. The response that I got was that there is no distributor in Canada but IMDB shows a release date of December 1st for the US. I might have to make a trip to Buffalo for this one. Somehow I doubt that there really will be a distributor even in the States, though.

12. springjack

springjack New Member

Yes.... It will play here in Portugal on a horror festival this month.

George Romero will come to this festival for 5 straight days...
    Of him they will show Creepshow, The Crazies, Martin, Monkey Shines and Survival of The Dead.
    Damn... No Night or Dawn.
    ________
    BONDAGE ASIAN

13. f.ramses

f.ramses sociopath

Coming from Olive Films 3/29/11, pre-order now and get a free t-shirt (a free Olive Films t-shirt, that is). Pretty damn expensive, $29.95 (+ shipping, I would imagine...), and it's not even a BD...

Last edited: Sep 12, 2010
  14. springjack

springjack New Member

Just saw this a few hours ago... totally waste of time, pure shit.

The only thing good about the movie is it?s cinematography and the use of colors.

It?s not a giallo, it?s not a slasher, it?s not scary, it?s nothing horror related.
    ________
    Nx650

15. Cydeous

Cydeous Axxon N

I got to see this last night and I had the opposite reaction to springjack. I absolutely loved it and will definitely pick up the DVD. The movie is broken up into three sections, each of which focuses on the childhood, adolescence, and adulthood of the main character. The first segment is reminiscent of Suspiria... I won't ruin anything but it really is awesome. Here is a good review of the film: http://shareddarkness.com/2010/10/29/amer.aspx

If you like Gialli and surrealist films then I highly recommend it.

16. springjack

springjack New Member

Never talk Suspiria when you talk about Amer... nothing related except the colors and cinematography.
    The movie may only be useful to some film students for it?s technic.
    ________
    Marijuana vaporizers

17. Cydeous

Cydeous Axxon N

The first half hour of the film was heavily influenced by Suspiria. There are several scenes that are lifted right out of that movie. I'm sure that most people would agree with that... I'm not saying that the movies are equal, just that Amer was inspired by Suspiria.

The reviews of this film are pretty polarized so I suppose that they should be taken with a grain of salt. I'll probably be watching Amer periodically: my favourite directors include David Lynch and Dario Argento and this film falls right in between, IMHO.

18. Ash28M

Ash28M Active Member

I have a feeling i'm going to like this one, it sounds like my cup of tea. Usually when it's a love it or hate it film, i usually land on the love it side.

19. springjack

springjack New Member

Everyone has the right to an opinion, and like you, many other people liked it.
    For me, like I said before, it has nothing horror related.
    Sure, the cinematography and the colors are beautiful, and they are sort of an homage to the Italian films of the 70?s but for me that?s not enough for a movie to win.

I felt the first half was OK but then I thought I was in for a big trouble when I read some reviewas that said that was the best part of the movie. In the screening that I went, 3 couples left right about 20 minutes into the movie and by half of it 10 more people left. Both the directors were at the screening and I think that?s stupid because it?s a lack of respect when you leave the room. By the end of it, only a couple of people cheered.

Personaly, I love giallos and all related to it.
    I know this is not a giallo and is more of an artistic movie full inspired by 70?s Italian cinema. Like I said, the music, cinematography, colours, they were very good.

Maybe it?s the kind of movie that will became a cult classic as the years pass, and maybe it will required multiple views from my par to enjoy it, but the first impression is in many cases the one that counts and for that I can say that I didn?t liked it.

Feel free to enjoy it because all movies are made with that intention.
    ________
    THREESOME ITALIAN

20. f.ramses

f.ramses sociopath

UK BD 1/31/11. Don't have high hopes for this one based on a lot of the comments I've read but I plan to check it out and this is what I'll get.