"Amer" a modern Giallo?

Discussion in 'Euro Horror' started by Crystal Plumage, Sep 14, 2009.

1. wago70

wago70 Surviving on nostalgia

San Francisco - down by them two ol' sheds
    It could be an interesting film in general. Something different opposed to the cookie cutter crap in the mainstream cinemas.
    It may not be a horror thriller but something that appeals to our love of Argento's earliest films.
    That's enough to make me check it out.

2. steelpotatonz

steelpotatonz New Member

This film is seriously shit. Don't bother

3. KamuiX

KamuiX The Eighth Samurai

Sold :cool:

4. springjack

springjack New Member

Not quite... I love Argento and Lynch, and hated this.
    ________
    Big Tits Videos

Last edited: Mar 20, 2011
  5. sinister

sinister Member

I liked this, it seemed very familiar and yet unusual at the same time.

As others have said it's difficult to categorise, the experience is more easily compared to watching a feature length music video in that there's very little dialogue or actual "story" to follow, all it has are the visuals and atmosphere to hold your attention.

At times it felt like a student film demonstrating the technical ability and vision of the director and the way that it's broken up into 3 "short films" seems to reinforce that, but overall the thought that's gone into setting up every shot and the production values are high enough to make it all gel together.

Although I wouldn't say it's one of my favourite movies, I'm looking forward to watching it again... I think it'll have high "repeat viewing" potential.

BTW did anyone else with the UK Blu-ray of this notice something a bit weird with the channel separation during the opening music, it sounded like it was mixed to the side/back channels rather than the front pair for a minute or so? Not sure if it was intentional.

Last edited: Mar 2, 2011
  6. Ash28M

Ash28M Active Member

hmm saw this tonight and i'm not even close to being ready to review it. It did allot of things right but I had no idea what was going on half the time. Let me watch it a couple more time and get back to you. I know i'm going to have to get the Blu-ray though as it looked amazing.

Last edited: Apr 23, 2011
  7. ReelFear

ReelFear New Member

Anybody know what's up with the U.S. DVD release. I ordered it from Olive Flims months ago, and now the website says "product not found." They charged my credit card right away too. I wonder if i was ripped off?

8. Demoni

Demoni Active Member

I didn´t dig this one...

Last year I went to a screening and left about 35 minutes into it.
    This year I gave a friend´s dvd a spin and fell asleep.

Last edited: Apr 23, 2011
  9. Cydeous

Cydeous Axxon N

Did you happen to see it at the Bloor Cinema?

10. Ash28M

Ash28M Active Member

No I missed that screening. Would of loved to have been there.

11. Cydeous

Cydeous Axxon N

I missed it, too :( I emailed them months ago to see if they were going to play it but they responded saying that the film had no distributer. Then a week after the screening I checked their site and saw that I missed the screening... d'oh! I used to live several blocks from there but had to move to timbuktu for work. Anyway, glad to hear you enjoyed it.

12. MorallySound

MorallySound Mad Mutilator

13. Horrorphilly

Horrorphilly Member

14. tropical marsh

tropical marsh Member

[​IMG]

That bitch is mine, all mine. :glasses::glasses::glasses:

15. Cydeous

Cydeous Axxon N

The original poster didn't have the red scarf. Still, it's a cool cover and I'll be picking it up.

16. ReelFear

ReelFear New Member

Finally got my copy of AMER along with a free t-shirt from Olive films.
    All i can say is that if you are a fan of David Lynch, Dario Argento, and Mario Bava, there's something here for you to admire. Lots of deep color, crazy editing (although sometimes it felt a bit too much), and a strange, uneasy creepiness throughout. There's not much of a plot and I felt slightly confused by the end, but as far as dreamlike movies go, this one's a winner. I'm sure many people on this board will not like this movie as it is pretty slow moving, and not particularly violent. However, AMER definitely captures the feel of classic giallos, and has enough originality to stand out among other recent retro-style horror films. I am impressed. 8 out of 10.

17. marcx

marcx New Member

Watched the blu of this a few nights ago--I really enjoyed it--captured the giallo feeling really well while not exactly making a carbon copy either--really well done..

18. msw7

msw7 Re-animated member

I just posted some comments about this in the October movie watching thread, figured I'd post them here too -

I just watched Amer tonight. What's the opposite of a thriller? A duller, maybe?

It's not that it was bad, just gratuitously slow. The plot can perhaps best be described as "a girl, mostly alone, gets older"

On a positive note, I would describe it as "a triumph of atmosphere over story or character"

That said though, by the end I think I loved it. It had a very hypnotic, sensual quality, and the atmosphere was thick enough to cut with a razor.

19. Paff

Paff Super Moderator

Watched this a week or so ago and did not care for it. I think the cover art is the best thing it has going for it.

Like many have said, the filmmakers are claiming a giallo influence, but it's more the surreal movies like Suspiria that you see in Amer. Honestly, I think this is a key example of filmmakers just not getting it. Oddly, this kind of filmmaking reminds me of many of the 70s Exorcist ripoffs; they focused on the profanity and pea soup-puking but completely ignored the essence of what made the original film so good (in the case of The Exorcist, it was Chris McNeil's atheism and utter reluctance to rely on the church to step in and help her daughter...not that Regan was a foul mouthed crucifix-diddling green barf machine....that was secondary).
    In Amer, they noticed the surrealism and bizarre camera techniques of many of the 70s Italian directors. But they did not seem to notice that those directors used those techniques to enhance the often derivative storylines. Amer uses the bizarre to replace the storyline. If there even is one. Compared to Amer, Suspiria is a brilliantly plotted and coherent plot-oriented tale, and that's saying something.

I would have given it a second viewing before returning (it was a Netflix rental), but I decided to watch the short films in the bonus section. That's when I saw that the emperors are indeed naked and have no intention of telling any kind of story. No, they just want to show weird and experimental stuff. It's an exhausting and ultimately unfulfilling viewing experience.

Perhaps if some competent writer/director hires these two as their DP, I'll give them another look. But for now, I'm glad Amer was a mere rental.

20. j tea

j tea New Member

Very well-said, Paff. I couldn't agree more. I have been waiting with anticipation to finally check it out. All I can say is that it was like finally getting to date the most beautiful woman you have ever seen and finding out she is a vapid twit. It was just so willfully obscure. People reference Lynch a lot in this thread. I think the obscurity and surrealism in his work really has a root, it is balanced often against veils of normalcy and often very pedestrian situations, whereas this just had no balance, nowhere to take root. The only frame of reference you could have is that 'this is different from real life', which in my feeling gives no access point to experience the movie from within, you are just stuck on the outside puzzling and enjoying the pretty colors.