"Amer" a modern Giallo?

Discussion in 'Euro Horror' started by Crystal Plumage, Sep 14, 2009.

1. shape22

shape22 Well-Known Member

After finally getting to see this one I'm firmly in the unimpressed camp. It treads a lot of the same thematic ground as films like Repulsion--but in a much more heavy-handed and pretentious manner. It's obviously a document of the lifelong effect of the protagonist's childhood phobias. But it has absolutely nothing to say beyond that. As others have noted, it's like 90 minutes of the over-the-roof camera calisthenics from Tenebrae repeated ad nauseam without ANY remotely compelling frame of reference to give it meaning or purpose. I'd say the sole purpose is to show off the director's undeniable visual flair. It's creative masturbation--not a conscious attempt to entertain others.

That said, the opening (of the 3) episodes is effective. Like the rest, it's completely incoherent in terms of narrative. But it has all the elements of a good nightmare. There's a lot of inspired gothic imagery and some good sound design. And the oppressive, relentless, claustrophobic atmosphere is palpable. Danger seems to lurk around every corner. It made me apprehensive and gave me hope that it would all eventually make sense. I think fans of Bava and Argento might find something to enjoy here.

But the dread of the opening episode quickly gives way to boredom once the second section begins. It's like a wordless Chanel perfume commercial that goes on for 30 minutes. And it totally lost me. It quickly makes it clear that nothing resembling an actual story is coming. And by this point in the film the camera antics begin to grow wearying. There are endless extreme close-ups and shots of legs and shoes walking. I found it incredibly annoying and pointless.

The third section is an improvement due to a return to more traditional horror elements and a fairly effective chase scene. But by then I didn't care. In fact, I was hardly conscious.

As Paff said, this flick makes Suspiria look like a textbook model of linear plot construction. This is more of a demo reel than an actual film.

2. DVD Connoisseur

DVD Connoisseur Active Member

I quite enjoyed this tonight but my friend was absolutely bored rigid. Definitely not the film I was expecting but I'm glad I gave it a spin. Style over substance...

3. Demoni

Demoni Active Member

I walked out of the theater half way... and I think I also fell asleep.

4. Ash28M

Ash28M Active Member

Re-watched this tonight this time on the Blu-Ray. This film looks incredible on Blu-Ray sure there isn't much to the plot but the Images and sounds are just so striking you can't help but admire the work that went into setting up some of those shots. It's more of an experience film then anything else and I enjoyed my experience. I'm still not sure exactly what to make of it but I think it deserves to be explored further.

5. Paff

Paff Super Moderator

Yeah, I thought that too. Then I watched all the short films on the Blu-Ray, and realize the directing duo doesn't have a whole lot to say. They just like making it look really nice.

As said before, I'd like a competent writer/director to hire these two out as cinematographers.