American Horror Story vs. The Walking Dead

Discussion in 'Reader Polls' started by vampyr789, Oct 30, 2013.

?

AHS vs. TWD

1. American Horror Story

61.5%
  2. The Walking Dead

33.3%
  3. Neither - I hate both shows

5.1%
  1. Copyboy

Copyboy Member

I watch both but absolutely love AHS. Haven't caught a single epsidoe of the current season yet but it's got to beat the current season of WD. I'm just not that interested or invested in any of the characters on WD. Every time a main character gets killed off, I don't really care. Damn, I wish Carl would get it.

2. Ash28M

Ash28M Active Member

I liked the first season of AHS. It's a struggle to sit through now. Walking dead is OK but i hate the characters. Right now it's neither.

3. ImmortalSlasher

ImmortalSlasher Active Member

I think both shows are great. But I picked Walking Dead.

This season of American Horror Story is the first I'll probably buy. I doubt I'll ever buy Walking Dead. But Walking Dead has characters that you want to see what happens next. Even when the show is slow it's good. And this is the scariest I've ever seen zombies look. I look forward to both of these shows every week.

I thought that was a good line. How it's basically the battle I've watched in high school many times but with witches and supernatural powers. Madison's line about the maid getting between Queenie and her food, and her remark when Queenie says she's not hungry. All funny stuff to me. Show's about to come on soon!

Last edited: Oct 31, 2013
  4. Christy

Christy Member

Voted neither as I honestly speaking hate both shows.

5. Katatonia

Katatonia Hellbound Heart

American Horror Story was okay, so I'd pick that.

The Walking Dead though, I can't get into it. I've tried watching it several times, and it does nothing for me at all.

6. satans-sadists

satans-sadists Ghost

Very much a fan of both shows, though I do have a preference for American Horror Story. I really love the anthology format of AHS and returning cast members taking on entirely different characters from season to season. The quality of guest stars on AHS is pretty amazing too. Ian McShane as Santa Claus was brilliant casting! :D

7. eric_angelus

eric_angelus Testacular

American Horror Story all the way. I really really dislike The Walking Dead.

8. shape22

shape22 Well-Known Member

9. spawningblue

spawningblue Deadite

Well Romero's opinion on anything horror related doesn't mean too much anymore after releasing Diary and Survival of the Dead into the world. Walking Dead makes those two (I haven't seen all of Survival) look like high school productions. When is the last time he Directed a good movie?

Last edited: Nov 7, 2013
  10. spawningblue

spawningblue Deadite

As for this poll, I can't vote as I haven't seen American Horror Story. With all the praise it looks like I need to check it out.

Without seeing AHS though, The Walking Dead is the best show on TV right now and it has been getting better with every season. I like most of the characters, and I like how no one is safe, as they aren't afraid to kill anyone off. It also includes some of the best looking zombies I've seen on film or TV. I'm surprised by all the hate it's getting as I was under the impression that it was a huge hit and everyone liked it. And I don't have any complaints about the pace. The slower episodes develop the characters and thankfully the acting is top notch from all. And if there is a slower episode you know the next one will be make up for it!

11. shape22

shape22 Well-Known Member

It's not the pace that kills it for me. It's the lack of well rounded, likable characters. Around the time I permanently tuned out (early season 2) too many of the main cast were still more like stereotypes than people (ie: a redneck, a sensitive African-American guy, a little kid who can't stay out of trouble, etc.). And the main storyline consisted of way too much bickering about petty stuff that I'd like to think wouldn't matter so much in Apocalyptic times. Watching this group of people have those conversations just didn't appeal to me.

A series can't maintain my long-term interest unless there are some genuinely likable characters. That's not a requirement for me with feature films. I'll devote two hours to an interesting story even if there's no one to root for. But when you're talking about an ongoing commitment like The Walking Dead, I need genuinely compelling characters to keep me interested during the inevitable lulls in the story. Unfortunately I never got attached to any of The Walking Dead characters. So for me, it became a decent but uninspired horror drama where I didn't really give a damn about anyone. At that point I gave up.

12. spawningblue

spawningblue Deadite

Yeah I guess it's a preference thing as I really enjoy most of the characters. The two I disliked have thankfully been killed off. I would say all of them including the three you mentioned have changed drastically over the seasons.

13. Myron Breck

Myron Breck BOO!!! Gotcha!

I went with WD since it has been a constant favorite of mine and I agree with Spawning about the slower episodes. You have to take some down time to develop your characters. No series can make every single episode a white-knuckle thrill ride. Just look at AHS.

The first season was great for about six episodes and then it fell completely apart. The second season was the so similar in that regard that I stopped watching. Now, having said that...the current season is pretty fucking awesome but I fear that it will suffer the same fate.

14. j tea

j tea New Member

15. indrid13

indrid13 Well-Known Member

I vote Emma Roberts! I mean American Horror Story.

[​IMG][