"American Nightmare"

Discussion in 'General' started by Eddie Quist, Oct 3, 2002.

1. Eddie Quist

Eddie Quist Guest

This documentary has probably already been discussed, but since I am pretty much new here, I missed it. I just ordered IFC and caught "American Nightmare" for the first time and thought it was awesome. My favorite interview segments were the ones featuring Cronenberg, Savini, and Tobe Hooper, although all of them were interesting for the most part. I didn't even mind some of the talking-head professers that spoke. All in all, I thought it was great.....Anybody else here enjoy this?

2. Shannafey

Shannafey Don't Monkey With Me!

South Florida, But Far from the Hell that is Miami
    Is this coming out on dvd anytime soon? I don't have IFC on my cable.

3. KillerCannabis

KillerCannabis Slow, Deep & Hard

Never seen it, but I wouldnt be surprised if it surfaces on disc sometime in the next year or so.

4. Eddie Quist

Eddie Quist Guest

Hopefully it will be released on DVD sometime in the near future, hopefully in an extended version, because I'm sure alot of the interviews were cut down to stay within the running length. They've been playing the shit out of it on IFC lately. It's definitely worth watching if you can catch it.

5. Mario77

Mario77 New Member

If I'm not mistaken, it is out on DVD. I'm near posistive I saw it at Tower.

6. Eddie Quist

Eddie Quist Guest

There is another recent movie called AMERICAN NIGHTMARE, which is a strait horror movie. It's out on DVD. I think maybe that is the movie you saw, Mario... It has an image of someone holding a knife on the cover, I think.

7. shift

shift Hot as shit!

Yea its out. I never seen it,, but I did see it at my Local BestBuy

8. joltaddict

joltaddict New Member

Thats not the documentary. READ people.

9. abefroman666

abefroman666 Guest

the best part of that is the ending... when godspeed you black emperor is playing during the final sceen of texas chainsaw massacre

10. Eddie Quist

Eddie Quist Guest

Yeah, that's a great scene, Abe... I thought both the beginning and end, with the use of somber music and war imagery, was really great.

11. McBride_01

McBride_01 Guest

Excellent documentary!

12. Loomis

Loomis Guest

I was just doing a search for the best version of "Hills Have Eyes" and I noticed that the UK version has a (cut) version of this doco on there. (The references to the Last House on the Left have been cut, presumably because it showed scenes that were cut from the UK version of Last House).

I remember seeing it at the Sydney Film Festival a few years back and loving it, so I checked Amazon.

Sure enough, it is out March 30 !

This is great news as I have been waiting for a full version of this since I saw it.

If this has already been posted, please shower me with gifts of forgiveness.

Last edited by a moderator: Mar 26, 2004
  13. Paul0889

Paul0889 New Member

i just picked this up on tuesday at best buy. it's awesome and it's not cut like the uk version

14. Loomis

Loomis Guest

Cheers, Paul.
    Amazon is one of the few places people in my end of the world can get some of the stuff that you guys can walk into your local shops and get.

Very happy to finally have this one coming my way.

15. chrishicks

chrishicks classic is back!!!

I have the UK Hills Have Eyes disc and I don't think I can bring myself to pick this up becuase it was only cut by 14 seconds(supposedly)

16. The Chaostar

The Chaostar Johnny Hallyday forever

I own the UK disk and the cuts concern only the clips from the film, not the comments about it. It is a minor loss.
    I first saw the film on the big screen in Athens Film Festival, 5 years ago. I think it is great in every aspect. Not only the interviews are informative but you can see that the director really tried to push the envelope. It is a great study of horror cinema of the 70s.
    My favorite parts were the John Landis interview and, of course, the soundtrack provided by GODSPEED YOU BLACK EMPEROR.

Simply put, you must see this.

17. life_o_petey

life_o_petey Guest

I thought it was pretty good. I wish they would have gotten into more than just one movie per director, though. It would have been much better had it been longer.

18. Luna

Luna Guest

Netflix has had it for a while now. I rented it months ago after seeing a good portion of it on IFC. :D

19. RyanPC

RyanPC Guest

I'm going to be doing a review of this for DVD Maniacs- it was a really good documentary. Right now I've been rather busy, but it should be finished within the next couple of weeks or so.