American Ninja 1-4 Blu-rays (88 Films - United Kingdom)

Discussion in 'High Definition' started by Katatonia, Mar 8, 2015.

1. Katatonia

Katatonia Hellbound Heart

I received my boxset in the mail earlier today...

The full-length documentary (in HD) is almost worth the price alone. Now I just have to watch the films again. :eek1:

And there are actually four separate booklets in the boxset, one for each film.

Also, all 4 Blu-rays are coded for "A" and "B" as confirmed on a multi-region player (back covers only list "B" though) — so they should work just fine in any North American players.

Last edited: May 8, 2015
  2. elDomenechHDG

elDomenechHDG Well-Known Member

I've got the limited set and it's really cool but I'm still suffering from sticker shock from it. This thing cost me $80 :eek1:

3. gobad2003

gobad2003 Active Member

Yeah, I would like this but the price needs to come way down.

4. Katatonia

I really doubt they will. They only have a limited quantity left and from what I understand the limited box won't be repressed. They posted on April 27th that they had 84 of the limited sets left...

DiabolikDVD is supposed to get some in stock shortly, but I have no idea what their price is going to be.

Last edited: May 8, 2015
  5. satans-sadists

satans-sadists Ghost

Mine arrived in the mail a week ago today. So far I've watched the first two films and the full-length documentary. This is definitely a documentary I would revisit. Very well done! :) Honestly I've never seen Parts 3 & 4 before. I bought the cheaper set from Amazon UK. Paid $25.00 (which includes shipping). Money well spent as the first two films have plenty of replay value for me.

6. Katatonia

Yeah, the standard set is still a very solid value.

I would definitely watch the documentary again also, it was superb. I couldn't get over how good Judie Aronson still looks in that. She's 50 and still looks like she's in her 30's! :eek1:

I am a little perplexed as to why 88 Films didn't include the theatrical trailers for the first two sequels though. Those were included on the old MGM DVD, so they obviously exist in SD at least. But that's really only a very minor complaint with the set.

I also finished listening to the two audio commentaries, which were highly informative with additional tidbits. It was kind of weird listening to those though, because one person only is heard of the "left" speaker, and the other person is only heard on the "right" speaker. You get used to it, but it's kind of an odd experience. I probably could have just configured my Yamaha receiver to send it to only the center speaker, but...

Director Sam Firstenberg is on both commentaries, and even though English is obviously not his first language, he's easy to understand and has a lot to say about the films.

The stunt guy on the first commentary kind of struck me as a jerk at times though, since he kept inserting his political opinions which really had nothing at all to do with the movie.

The (different) stunt guy on the 2nd commentary was just straight about the movie though, and also had a lot to offer about his experience on the sequel.

7. satans-sadists

satans-sadists Ghost

Very much agree that Judie Aronson looked hot in the documentary! :D

I finally watched American Ninja 3 & 4 this week for the first time. Part 3 was pretty much as bad as I had heard. Steve James was about the only selling point in the movie. This must have been the lowest budgeted entry in the series. What a lame villain too! :sleepy: Tadashi Yamashita (from the Chuck Norris film The Octagon) was the coolest villain playing the Black Star Ninja in the first American Ninja. Would have been awesome if Cannon had Sho Kosugi play a villain in one of the films.

Part 4 was a big improvement over 3, but my favorites are still the first two films by far. At least Michael Dudikoff was available for the final film.

I'm hoping there are more 80's ninja movies coming to Blu-ray. Doesn't matter to me whether it's from 88 Films, Kino, whoever.

8. Katatonia

I'm sure you probably already know :evil:... but Enter the Ninja & Revenge of the Ninja are coming out from Kino on 5/26.

I have the German Blu-rays of those two which look quite nice...and I assume they'll use those same transfers that come sourced from MGM.

9. satans-sadists

satans-sadists Ghost

I knew the first two were coming from Kino, but already have the German releases from Ascot Elite you mentioned. Already happy with the import releases, but I seem to remember at least one of the Kino releases (possibly both) has a commentary track.

Back to American Ninja, here is a review of the first film from Blu-ray.com:

http://www.blu-ray.com/movies/American-Ninja-Blu-ray/121490/#Review

10. gobad2003

gobad2003 Active Member

88 Films has the limited AMerican Ninja set on sale on their website right now for 29 pounds, wish I would have waited:mad: Oh well still an awesome set and i'm glad to have it:glasses:

11. Katatonia

:eek1: Oh well, that's always the risk of buying anything when it first comes out. On the flip side, you can wait forever for something to drop in price, like the Samurai Cop Blu-ray, and it never seems to.

12. satans-sadists

satans-sadists Ghost