AMICUS COLLECTION -- July 25 2006

Discussion in 'Classic' started by Damage, Jun 9, 2006.

1. Damage

Damage Mirror Mirror

I did a search but didn't see any posts on this so if I've missed something, forgive me. I just noticed these three "Amicus Collection" titles available as pre-orders at Amazon...
    Asylum (1972)
    And Now the Screaming Starts (1973)
    The Beast Must Die (1974)
    :banana: :banana: :banana:

2. Damage

Damage Mirror Mirror

3. Damage

Damage Mirror Mirror

And Now the Screaming Starts!

Set in 1795 England, And Now the Screaming Starts! tells the tale of blissful newlyweds Catherine (Stephanie Beacham) and Charles Fengriffen (Ian Ogilvy) who move into his ancestral family mansion. On their wedding night, Catherine is raped by a malevolent spirit. She is further plagued by a series of haunting visions involving an eyeless woodsman and a murderous disembodied hand.

Can a savage act of depravity and violence committed by one of Charles’ ancestors be to blame? Charles fears that his bride is going insane and calls for Doctor Whittle (Patrick Magee). Unable to help Catherine overcome her visions, Dr. Whittle calls for assistance from a fellow practitioner, Dr. Pope (Peter Cushing), who uses reason and logic to combat what he assumes is a mental disorder. In time, Dr. Pope finds himself fighting a losing battle against the forces of the supernatural carrying out a bloody family curse.

Directed by Roy Ward Baker (Asylum, The Vault of Horror, The Monster Club) and produced by Amicus stalwarts Max J. Rosenberg and Milton Subotsky, And Now the Screaming Starts! has been mastered in High Definition from 35mm vault materials.

Special Features:

- New Hi-Def 16x9 Anamorphic Widescreen Transfer from 35mm negative
    - Commentary by director Roy Ward Baker & actor Stephanie Beacham
    - Commentary by actor Ian Ogilvy
    - Trailers for “And Now The Screaming Starts,” “Asylum,” and “The Beast Must Die”
    - Still Gallery
    - Bios for Baker, Beacham, Ogilvy, Peter Cushing, Herbert Lom, Milton Subotsky & Max J. Rosenberg
    - Liner Notes

4. Damage

Damage Mirror Mirror

The Beast Must Die

Wealthy big game hunter Tom Newcliffe (Calvin Lockhart) has tracked and killed practically every type of animal in the world. But one creature still evades him, the biggest game of all - a werewolf.

Tom invites five guests -- Dr. Christopher Lundgren (Peter Cushing), Paul Foote (Tom Chadbon), Bennington (Charles Gray), Jan Jarmokowski (Michael Gambon) and Davina (Ciaran Madden)-- to his island knowing they all are tied one way or another to unusual circumstances of death… and that one of them is a werewolf.

Add to the mix Tom’s alluring wife Caroline (Marlene Clark) and surveillance expert, Pavel (Anton Diffring), Tom tracks the werewolf but is unable to kill it. One by one the creature kills the isolated guests.

Special Features:

- New 16x9 Anamorphic Widescreen Transfer
    - Commentary by director Paul Annett
    - Trailers for “And Now The Screaming Starts,” “Asylum,” and “The Beast Must Die”
    - Still Gallery
    - Bios for Annett, Cushing, Gray, Diffring, Lockhart, Milton Subotsky & Max J. Rosenberg
    - Liner Notes
    - Paul Annett tribute to Peter Cushing
    - “Directing the Beast” featurette

5. Damage

Damage Mirror Mirror

Asylum

When Dr. Martin (Robert Powell) arrives at the Dunsmoor Asylum for the incurably insane, he expects to be interviewed by asylum director Dr. Starr. Instead he is met by Dr. Rutherford (Patrick Magee), who explains that Dr. Starr had suffered a mental breakdown and now is one of the patients.

Dr. Rutherford decides that if Martin can deduce which one is really Dr. Starr, then he will be given the position.

Is it Bonnie (Barbara Parkins), whose affair with a married man turns murderous? Is it Bruno (Barry Morse), a hardluck tailor visited by a mysterious stranger (Peter Cushing) with a blueprint and very special fabric for an unusual suit? Is it Barbara (Charlotte Rampling), accused of murdering her brother and her nurse but insisting that her friend Lucy (Britt Ekland) was responsible; Or is it Dr. Byron (Herbert Lom) who claims the ability to transfer collecting?

Special Features:

- New Hi-Def 16x9 Anamorphic Widescreen Transfer from 35mm negative
    - Commentary by director Roy Ward Baker & cameraman Neil Binney
    - Still Gallery
    - Bios for Roy Ward Baker, Peter Cushing, Herbert Lom, Britt Ekland, Milton Subotsky & Max J. Rosenberg
    - Liner Notes
    - “Inside the Fear Factory” featurette

6. betterdan

betterdan Guest

I wouldn't mind owning Asylum but I will probably have to wait on it.

7. Anthropophagus

Anthropophagus Well-Known Member

Always loved The Beast Must Die for some reason, will probably pick that up.

8. Franco

Franco Weekender

Just in case, and for the region-free friendly members, the coffin-shaped limited edition R2 box set "The Amicus Collection" contains those three movies plus Dr. Terror's House of Horrors and The House That Dripped Blood, with DTS audio-tracks and some extras. For more information:

http://www.dvdcompare.net/comparisons/film.php?fid=4543

[​IMG]

9. Luna

Luna Guest

Wow, that coffin set is really sweet. I'd love to get that someday. One can never have enough British horror, quite frankly. :D

10. wago70

wago70 Surviving on nostalgia

San Francisco - down by them two ol' sheds
    Thanks for the headsup! I took my older Image versions along with "Kiss Me, Monster" "Undercover Angels" and "Succubus", got store credit at the used record store and walked out of there with "Your Vice is a Locked Room..." and "Emilio Miraglia Killer Queen Boxset" both sealed and brand new. What a great find!

11. Erick H.

Erick H. Well-Known Member

The U.K. coffin set presents THE BEAST MUST DIE full frame,the new Region 1 disc that is coming out in July is 16/9 widescreen enhanced.

12. dwatts

dwatts New Member

Yeah, but it has an extra movie and DTS (if that is of interest given these are older films without true surround sound) :)

I have the coffin set and it's superb. Same extras I think too. The Beast Must Die isn't the best in the box, so that's a possibility though. On the other hand, it's also the weakest film.

It's obvious to me that the best way to get these is the coffin set, but it's good to see these titles getting an R1 release. Personally it would have been better if they had gone with Tales from the Crypt, Beyond the Grave, and The Killer Bee's - all titles that don't seem to have a release anywhere, rather than rehashing another regions works.

13. Franco

Franco Weekender

Two in reality: Dr. Terror's House of Horrors and The House That Dripped Blood.

14. maybrick

maybrick Well-Known Member

I dunno. Doesn't seem quite so obvious to me. Having The Beast Must Die in non-anamorphic 4:3 is a pretty big deterrent and DTS for movies with mono mixes is rather unnecessary, IMO. The only reason I see for Americans to purchase it is for Dr. Terror, but you can always buy that title separately for $18.95 anyways if you really want it. The Amicus Collection is available through xploited for $59.95. Through deepdiscount... Asylum: $14.40, Beast Must Die: $10.79, Screaming Starts: $10.79, House that Dripped, $9.28. Total: $45.26. I guess it would be a bit cheaper by about $5 to buy the box set than to buy the 3 domestically available releases and the import Dr Terror, but then you're stuck with a non anamorphic 4:3 Beast.

15. Franco

Franco Weekender

But it's $42 if you buy the the coffin-shaped R2 UK box set from Benson's World UK (including shipping & handling to Gringoland). ;)

I like XploitedCinema's service and stuff but the guy over there seems to be earning a bit too much per item, and Benson's World is always a good reliable option.

http://www.bensonsworld.co.uk/dvd/7000000084555.asp

Hugs,
    F.

Last edited: Jun 9, 2006
  16. dwatts

dwatts New Member

4:3 is never anamorphic :)

DTS is a nice to have for no extra cost, whether one wants it or not is of course up to them. On the other hand, I never had to wait months and months for a release of these, I've had the coffin since it first came out. I've ben enjoying the movies instead :)

17. maybrick

But you're STILL stuck with a non-anamorphic 4:3 Beast Must Die! ;)

18. maybrick

I've never felt like I was "waiting" for these movies to come out. 4 of the 5 have been domestically available for years and the 5th could always be bought separately from the box set.

19. Franco

Franco Weekender

That's true. I'd like to see it in that aspect ratio at least ONCE. But as I've experimented and as most reviews state, it's one of the weakest movies in the box set and probably in the whole Amicus productions. One of their last ones as well, if I'm not wrong.

Anways, it's up to everyone to see which product satisfy the needs.

Had the R1 discs included spanish subtitles, I would've pre-ordered them, for example. And that's because I'd like to see those movies with some friends that don't speak gringo ...

20. maybrick

Agreed. I have to disagree with those critics though. I'd personally place The Beast Must Die third. The House that Dripped Blood (too comedic) and And Now The Screaming Starts (a bit tedious at times) are weaker.