AMICUS COLLECTION -- July 25 2006

Discussion in 'Classic' started by Damage, Jun 9, 2006.

1. dwatts

dwatts New Member

And Now the Screaming Starts, for me, has some genuine scares. In fact, it's one of those that has a single moment that makes me jump out of my seat every time. It's quite solid.

2. maybrick

maybrick Well-Known Member

the hand in the portrait? :)

3. dwatts

dwatts New Member

Well, I was avoiding a spoiler :D

4. maybrick

I was being intentionally vague. Don't say where, when, and how, then it's not a spoiler. As you said, it gets you every time, even when you know it's coming. ;)

5. dwatts

dwatts New Member

Is is reviewed on this site at all? Might be another gap for people to fill.

6. wago70

wago70 Surviving on nostalgia

San Francisco - down by them two ol' sheds
    I saw the UK Coffin Boxset at the used record store. New and Sealed (and no apparent loose discs inside). It was $60. Is that a good deal for it?

7. DrHerbertWest

DrHerbertWest For Your Health

Anamorphic, non anamorphic, DTS, no DTS, coffin, regular case...

AHHHHH.

I haven't seen any of these so I could care less, personally, if they're the "pristine, perfect" versions. I'll probably buy them anyway and if I like them, I do, and if I don't, I'll trade them off.

8. RyanPC

RyanPC Guest

These WILL be mine, eventually. :)

9. KillerCannabis

KillerCannabis Slow, Deep & Hard

Thanks to Fango this past weekend I was able to snag And Now The Screaming Starts and The Beast Must Die from the Dark Sky table early. I didn't get Asylum, because... well, I don't have a good reason. I just didn't. But they did a nice job on these. I can't wait to watch 'em.

10. _pi_

_pi_ Peace, bitch

I want that coffin! When I was a kid, a friend of mine had a VHS copy of And Now The Screaming Starts and, boy, was it the stuff of legend. Of course, his parents wouldn't let us watch it but that didn't stop us from using our wild imagination concocting our own movie that would fit that title! Still haven't seen it to this day, so this set makes me very excited! :D

11. Erick H.

Erick H. Well-Known Member

Several review sites have said that the DR. TERROR'S HOUSE OF HORRORS disc in the U.K. coffin set is missing a bit of material at the end of the film,can anyone confirm this ?

12. Franco

Franco Weekender

For what I know, it's not missing it but the very, very, very last part of it, almost 1 1/2 minutes including the end credits, has been restored from a low-quality source ... But it's there, unless it lasts longer than that which I don't find probable.

13. Katatonia

Katatonia Hellbound Heart

All three shall be mine upon release. I've known about the upcoming releases for a few months...but I thought surely there was a thread on here?

I never went with the Anchor Bay UK Amicus coffin box set due to almost all of the initial pressings having terrible disc holders, and virtually all had loose discs within. The DTS tracks on most AB-UK discs (simply a licensing deal) aren't all that great if the film was originally mixed in mono, so I really don't care one way or the other as far as that's concerned.

Asylum is perhaps the most eagerly awaited of the three, for me at least. The other two are classics as well. If you are a Cushing fan...what's not to love?!?

14. Erick H.

Erick H. Well-Known Member

Thanks,Franco !

15. Katatonia

Katatonia Hellbound Heart

16. dwatts

dwatts New Member

And look what they say about The Beast Must Die and its widescreen presentation: "Interestingly enough, the Anchor Bay UK release of the film presented it in a fullframe open matte transfer while the previous DVD from Image Entertainment framed the film at 1.66.1 widescreen. Dark Sky’s presentation is further matted to 1.78.1 and it looks a little on the tight side in one or two scenes but for the most part seems to preserve most of the integrity of the compositions used throughout the film."

No need to upgrade this one then.

17. maybrick

It's always good to get second opinions:

"The first DVD from Image, mildly letterboxed at 1.66:1, contains the full theatrical cut with the Werewolf Break and some throat-gushing gore missing from the TV prints. The blaring music score right out of Starsky & Hutch sounds fine. For some reason, the much later UK release from Anchor Bay utilizes a vastly inferior full frame print and looks terrible; fortunately, things turned out right the third time around with the second US disc, courtesy of Dark Sky. Anamorphically enhanced and looking much better than before, this transfer still looks a bit dated (grain and softness abound in many shots, but that may be the cinematographer's fault) but easily outclasses its rivals."

From http://mondo-digital.com/asylum.html

With all due respect to Mr. Ian Jane, Nathaniel Thompson's opinion carries a bit more weight with me.

Last edited: Jun 20, 2006
  18. dwatts

dwatts New Member

I wouldn't say the R2 version looks "terrible". It's not reference quality, but it's not that bad. Still, Full Frame is open matte, right? Otherwise it would be pan and scan?

19. Devo1313

Devo1313 New Member

Got the DVDs at the Fangoria show weeks ago. Very pelased with them.

20. cazzasguy

cazzasguy Member

What's with the emphasis on "non-anamorphic"? If it's in 4:3 there is no benefit in it being anamorphic. It's completely pointless! Name me one film recorded in 4:3 format that has been released with an anamorphic transfer?

The Beast Must Die is a very poor film and easily the worst in the Amicus Collection box set. It's currently available for only £17.99 on play.com and I would advise anyone to snap it up - the other four films are minor classics.