Amityville Franchise (excluding the remake) Appreciation

Discussion in 'General' started by snowbeast323, Mar 6, 2009.

1. snowbeast323

snowbeast323 New Member

This is one of my favourite haunted house pictures.....

I thought, looking at the original, that it was one of the least likely films to be made into a franchise.

But it was followed up by 8 sequels.....only two of which I really like (II & 3-D)

I think that the series became too outlandish and perhaps lost its scary element

What are your thoughts?

2. gunner

gunner Cropsy Maniac

I absolutely love the original!! If in the right mood, it still gives me a chill. I like the first sequel as well. Absolutely hated pt. 3, which I didn't get to view until I got the dvd box set...it just didn't work for me right from the start. Maybe seeing it in 3-D would change my opinion. I don't think I've seen any other sequels beyond that.
    MGM's blu-ray to the original is a little steep in price for being barebones, but has an incredible transfer!! One of the strongest in my small collection.

3. Matt89

Matt89 Well-Known Member

The original is barely even mediocre, and the sequel is decent. The rest are shit. Like, really bad shit. Diarrhea shit.

~Matt

4. dave13

dave13 Well-Known Member

Yeah, i really enjoyed just how sleeeeeeezy the second one was. makes you wanna take a bath after watching that one, but it made it much more entertaining. the first was pretty dull.

5. DVD-fanatic-9

DVD-fanatic-9 And the Next Morning, When the Campers Woke Up...

The original has its' moments. I find it to be one of the better ghost horror movies I've ever seen. Mostly because it's exactly a ghost horror movie. Nor is it exactly about Satan either.

Haven't seen any of the sequels. Other than It's About Time, which also had its' moments but was far from perfect.

6. Katatonia

Katatonia Hellbound Heart

I enjoy most of them, even though the plots of the sequels are really reaching.

The Amityville Curse and Amityville: A New Generation were pretty lame.

7. spawningblue

spawningblue Deadite

I like the first one, the second one, and the remake. the rest, from what i've seen, not so much.

8. Yeah, I gotta say that the Tommy Lee Wallace scripted second one is rally the best. And a tad bit underrated, even when it eclipses into a bit of (what I feel, anyway) Exorcist rip-off territory. Damn was Diane Franklin (The Last American Virgin, Better off Dead and Bill & Ted's Excellant Adventure) ever smokin' hot around that time frame. :D

9. Matt89

Matt89 Well-Known Member

It's totally about Satan. The flies, the upside down cross, the fucking PATH TO HELL in their basement. If that's not about the devil, I don't know what is. This house was POSSESSED.

A ghost horror movie is something like The Haunting or Poltergeist.

~Matt

Last edited: Mar 7, 2009
  10. eric_angelus

eric_angelus Testacular

I love all three of the original theatrical movies. I just re-watched the original a few weeks ago on blu-ray...and still have alot of love for it. Both sequels work very well for me too. Truthfully I like most of the DTV sequels as well. Curse and New Generation are probably my least favorites (Curse is hurt most by being set in a different house)...I really, really hate the remake, alot.

11. Erick H.

Erick H. Well-Known Member

Enjoyed the original,though it's a bit overwrought at times.Good score.The second film is pure exploitation but can be fun on that level.I suspect 3 is more fun in 3-D,and I never saw it that way.My memory of the others is vague at best and I passed on the remake.I recall liking some of the score from PT. 2 as well.

12. SEANVALEN

SEANVALEN Active Member

I think the remake is the best of them all. Why exclude it from a thread talking about the fanchise lol?

13. Horrorphilly

Horrorphilly Active Member

I have the box set also but havnt watched any of the sequels past part 2.The first two movies are mandatory releases.I will check the rest of the movies out one day.

sean

14. hellraiser40

hellraiser40 Well-Known Member

i remember seeing some of the later sequels and they were all shit (except The Amityville Curse, the one with the old Amish guy from Witness? that one was surprisingly entertaining for me), the remake wasn't that bad, the original isn't scary enough

only Amityville II is fun on a trashy level and is easily the one to go for if you were only to see 1 of all the movies

15. Marv Inc.

Marv Inc. Active Member

I liked the 1st but preffered the 2nd, has quite a creepy feel to it and has some good camera moves in it. The 3rd one has a few fun bits but not enought to save the movie.

I hav'nt seen any of the others or the remake.

16. booper71

booper71 B-Zone on Roku

i like them all, part 2 being my favorite since it was more factual than the first movie.

17. Matt89

Matt89 Well-Known Member

Well actually, part 2 is pretty stretched. Part 1 at least stuck (mostly) with the Lutz's story, whereas part 2 turned a simple murder case into a film about demonic possession. Sure there were always assumptions that DeFeo was possessed at the time he committed the murders, but part 2 is nothing more than fiction.

~Matt

18. HAEMORRHAGE

HAEMORRHAGE If he dies, he dies

I've been a fan since I was a little kid around when part II came out. Never seen any of the ones past 3 though. I've actually always been a fan of it for the whole "true story" thing going on since Amity wasn't all that far from where I lived in NJ. Yeah, it wasn't down the road but it wasn't far either. The first one has got a great creepiness to it if you ask me. Sucks that the original story was a hoax but I try to forget that so I can enjoy it more. Part II is the one that I really enjoy though cause the first half of it tells the true story of what originally happened more or less. I find the Defeo portion of the story way more interesting than the Lutz portion. Even got the original Part II one sheet framed in my living room.

19. dcrw6

dcrw6 New Member

I haven't seen the original since I was little but I remember really enjoying it and discussing it with my dad when I was about eight or nine. I saw the third one around the same time and I remember it freaking me out but the only thing I can remember is a whitish demon hand coming out of a pool of water or something like that. I own just about all of them now, save for the one unavailable on dvd, but the only one I've watched in the last ten years or so was part 4, The Evil Escapes, which was just boring really. I'll probably marathon them all when I have the time.

I saw the remake and all it did was frustrate me. There was nothing remotely scary or threatening about it. I just wanted to laugh at Ryan Reynolds because there is no way I could ever take him seriously. It just felt like they were shoving in the requisite cliches and could care less, much like every other Platinum Dunes film, but that's a whole other discussion. lol

20. spawningblue

spawningblue Deadite

Well I don't think that's ever been proven. Both of the Lutz's died stating that it did really happen.