Amityville: The Awakening

Discussion in 'General' started by rxfiend, Aug 23, 2014.

1. roderick

roderick New Member

i saw a pre order listing on amazon this morning.the product description says pg 13.of course it also lists the run time as 1 minute so hopefully the description is inaccurate.

2. hots4

hots4 Dogs In White

R Rated I'll watch, PG13, no fucking chance, not wasting my time on the neutered piece of shit!

3. Zombie Dude

Zombie Dude Well-Known Member

Watched this tonight and can safely say skip it. It was so boring and a big disappointment. I mean I didn't expect much anyway due to this films history but I kinda hoped for some dumb fun like Wish Upon. The version online is definitely the PG cut but after seeing it I'm not too sure an R rated version would make too much difference unless they really went to town with editing this to shit. I mean a mask of Jody the pig was made as it was meant to show up in the film but don't expect to see that either.[​IMG]
    Sadly it wasn't scary at all due to really poor sound design. Scenes that should have given at least a cheap jump are just bland which was disappointing. The story is a snoozer and would feel more at home on daytime tv and I don't know if the ending was the newly filmed one but it was bad, anticlimactic and basically just a rehash of what we've seen before. Seriously just avoid this one and cross your fingers that someone like James Wan will come along and give us a proper Amityville movie. The first 15 minutes of the Conjuring 2 is better Amityville movie than this travesty.

Steel76 and Workshed like this.
  4. Buechlers_beard

Buechlers_beard Active Member

No Jody the pig!?! PASS.

Zombie Dude likes this.
  5. Steel76

Steel76 Well-Known Member

Yeah, saw it last night, and it felt like the house was just a backdrop, since nothing spectacular really happened.
    The first Amityville movie, feels like an action movie compared to this...

Such a waste, since both the exterior and interior design of the house, is exactly like in the first two films.
    And some of the shots of the house, felt really nostalgic. Too bad it was the only thing that felt like an Amityville movie.
    No wonder they kept the movie on the shelf.

So, what did we learn from the latest Chainsaw, Jeepers and Amityville movies?
    That if a movie have been delayed a billion times, and skips the theaters, it's because it CRAP.

Gonna watch Amityville 2 - The possession, tomorrow night, and wash away the bad taste I got from this one.

And YES, James Wan is probably one of the few out there, that could save this franchise.
    Even though Amityville was featured in Conjuring 2, I hope that Wan can use the house for another creepy tale, in the near future.

Zombie Dude and fceurich39 like this.
  6. Zombie Dude

Yeah I agree that the house looked really good here with some great shots (the best thing this movie has to offer). It also made me really want to watch Amityville 2 funny enough! That one is my favorite next to some of the dtv sequels.

Steel76 likes this.
  7. Steel76

Yeah, it's so dark, brutal and wonderfully sleazy :)

Zombie Dude likes this.
  8. Zombie Dude

Absolutely. Its got a lot going for it. Love how it turns into a possession movie in the end.

Steel76 likes this.
  9. Steel76

Yep, and that cool transformation at the climax, which was very unexpected :)
    James Magner was great as Sonny, and it's too bad that he only did this one, and a small appearance in Firestarter, and then stopped acting.

Edit: Found this on Wiki:
    "After director Damiano Damiani's original cut of the film was shown to test audience, several scenes had to be cut out for various reasons, one of them being the negative reaction of the audience to a scene in which Anthony anally rapes Dolores and another a scene in which Sonny and Patricia have incestuous sex. This scene was added into the script by Damiani who wanted to really upset the viewers. The original scene was much more graphic and sexual, while in the movie it cuts to the next scene immediately after Sonny starts kissing Patricia."

Damiano sure liked his sleaze :D

Last edited: Oct 6, 2017
    Buechlers_beard likes this.
  10. Buechlers_beard

I hope this is true, and the footage resurfaces one day.

Zombie Dude and Steel76 like this.
  11. Zombie Dude

Sound like he loved sleaze! Haha. Would definitely be cool to see that longer version.

Steel76 likes this.
  12. Steel76

I hope so too. But it's been so long, that the material are probably lost.

More into:
    "Some other deleted scenes were shown on lobby cards and stills for the movie, like a scene where Anthony is sitting outside the house drinking and cleaning a gun and a scene where Jan is pushing Mark's head under the water while he is in the bathtub. The theatrical trailer also shows a shot of Jan and Mark looking at the window and holding hands. The only deleted scene which was ever released in some form is the so-called "Lost Souls" scene, originally from near the end of the movie, in which souls that are within the house appear in front of Adamsky and he blesses them. No actual footage was released but a UK special collector's edition DVD includes several stills from this deleted scene."

Zombie Dude likes this.
  13. Buechlers_beard

I watched Awakening last night and to say my expectations were at floor level was an understatement. Although in no way a "great" film it was enjoyable, and I liked the new way it referenced the true crimes and fictional movies in a real life fashion. And just like Steel76 said, the house looked great here.

I thought the lead actress was pretty awful but maybe that was her character, I can't recall seeing her in anything else. Obviously there were some trims here and there, I'd liked to of seen more of the incest between the mother and son (sounds sick of me haha) as it was implied at best but was creepy enough to warrant some more. Surprised to see some shootings at the end, and can only imagine some of that was cut for the PG13 rating. I still can't fathom where Jody the pig would have factored in all this!? One of the characters wore a pig mask at one point and maybe that was a set up for a gag with a possessed pig mask akin to the Trick or Treat Studios mask, who knows? I thought the ending was a let down too, pulling the brother into a circle on the floor, hmm. A bit naff.

14. Suicide

Suicide Space Bastard!

Last edited: Oct 12, 2017
  15. CPT HOOK

CPT HOOK Well-Known Member

Maybe a dumb question, but how do you get Google Play on your TV? Or is it only for computers and mobile devices?

I tried finding the App on my Fire Stick, but it wouldn't come up in the search. I also searched for it on my Blu-ray player (which has Wi-Fi and is loaded with apps) and couldn't find it there either.

That's probably why it's free, nobody wants to watch shit on their phone or computer.

16. Suicide

Suicide Space Bastard!

I don't think you can get Google apps on Fire without hacking it. Tried to do it on my Kindle but couldn't figure it out. I have it on Roku, not sure what other devices work. Can you cast it from your computer to your TV?

CPT HOOK likes this.
  17. Zombie Dude

Just plug a laptop to your tv via HDMI? I mean I have my desktop hooked up to my tv and use it frequently.

CPT HOOK likes this.
  18. CPT HOOK

CPT HOOK Well-Known Member

Yeah, good suggestion, I can probably plug the HDMI into my laptop. I think I can also cast it via my phone, but not sure how to do that via laptop.

They have the movie for rent on YouTube for $0.00, but when I pull it up on the YouTube app (via Fire Stick) and select it, it says This video is unplayable on this device.

I give up for tonight, but I'll probably try the laptop thing tomorrow night. Thanks for the help!

Zombie Dude likes this.
  19. Zombie Dude

No worries! Let us know how you go tomorrow.

20. scott71670

scott71670 Active Member

I am going to be in the minority and say I really liked it. Well, anything Jenifer Jason Leigh is good. Loved the Meta moments with the first film being watched in the house. I thought the decubitis scene was a great intro for a fly revisitation, and for one of the pg horror films out there I thought it was above the usual bar. Also I liked that the film was female centric- this was one for the tween crowd and for that I feel it did a great job as well as passing the "Bechdel test" more than three blockbusters put together in my opinion. Character development was real, plot twists were fun- I didn't see that last bit of character arc coming! Reminded me of something old Hollywood would have done with Stanwyk or Crawford back in the day with minor changes.