An American Haunting

Discussion in 'General' started by Agent Z, Nov 2, 2005.

1. Agent Z

Agent Z "Get to the river...

From the imdb, comes this synopsis: " Based on true events validated by the State of Tennessee of the only case in US History where a spirit or entity caused the death of a man. With over 20 books written on the subject, and a town that still lives in fear of the return of the unseen spirit, the story of "An American Haunting" is terrifying."

So far, so good....

Site/trailer: http://www.anamericanhauntingonline.com/pages/trailer.html

Nice cast. :)

http://www.imdb.com/title/tt0429573/maindetails

2. Cujo108

Cujo108 Guest

The story of the Bell Witch is one of the most intensely unnerving legends I've ever come across. If done right, this film can be terrifying.

3. slinker

slinker Un-Holy Force.

I second that Cujo, ive read alot about the case and some of it is very frightening. Lets hope they dont go all Hollywood and fuck it up :) sounds promising, they need to make more true story ghost films, theres so much scope for decent haunted house movies .

4. It's nice to see that they got some actors with credibility for this one. Good casting choices on Donald Sutherland and Sissy Spacek.

I can't say that I know too much about the legend, but I do like the era that the film is set in. Like slinker said, let's hope they don't "go all Hollywood and fuck it up".

5. maskull

maskull I finally got an avatar!!! Yay!!

Cool Donald Sutherland!

I'm not familiar with the story but after reading the synopsis, I really am interested in this flick. Sounds like it could be truly scary.

6. MorallySound

MorallySound Mad Mutilator

That trailer RULES! It actually gave me the chills!

7. Hellbilly

Hellbilly Active Member

Trailer looks promising. 'supposed to be two movies in the works based on the Bell Witch. Glad to see one finally surfacing.

Last edited: Nov 2, 2005
  8. betterdan

betterdan Guest

9. thrashard76

thrashard76 Guest

THE BELLWITCH - by MERCYFUL FATE

Back in Tennessee, I saw a
    family haunted by an entity
    It was a tragedy in another century
    Oh...They never would know the
    Evil One that came
    Little Betsy, the age of 12
    Living in a dream
    The first one to scream
    Invisible hands leaving their
    mark in the dark
    Solo: Denner
    Night after night
    The Bell Witch attacked and
    attacked
    Torturing Betsy, until a circle
    was held in candle light
    Tell us who you are
    Please tell us who you are
    "I am the air you breathe
    I am the Bell Witch
    I am a million years
    I am the Bell Witch"
    Solo: Shermann
    The Bell Witch decided
    It was the time for the father to
    scream
    Soon taken ill, never again to
    leave his bed alive
    Tell us who you are
    Please tell us who you are
    "I am the air you breathe
    I am the Bell Witch
    I am a million years
    I am the Bell Witch"
    "Goodnight John, see you in Hell...
    Say bye bye to Daddy, Betsy"
    Call the doctor!!! ..."I made sure"
    Call the doctor!!! ..."There ain't no
    cure"
    Solo: Shermann
    That night John he died
    And the Bell Witch never came
    again
    Soon they realized, the witch had
    given John bad medicine
    Solo: Denner

10. indiephantom

indiephantom Horny Spirit

well, there are a lot of A-list names involved. Horror is the hot mainstream genre right now, so that's makes me happy. This trailer did nothing to excite me, though.

11. Tagging a movie with "Based on true events" can have a negative effect for me sometimes, but so can...

hehe, to tell the truth I've never seen it in full myself. But I do love Donald Sutherland. The period setting is a plus.

OK, I like the trailer. Look forward to seeing how it turns out.

12. Luna

Luna Guest

The movie looks like it's going to be good... I'll have to check it out. I just wish they'd stop using that tired formula for creating trailers that every horror film seems to follow these days. I was practically dizzy with all the motion going on towards the end of it. Throwing tons of images at me at once followed by silence and then a loud BOOM doesn't scare me... it annoys me. This is probably a rant for another thread though. :D

13. Alien Redrum

Alien Redrum New Member

I'm all over this.

I enjoyed the low-budget version of it, even with its flaws, but I think Hollywood can do it good, especially with that cast.

14. This looks to be a good one.

15. KillerCannabis

KillerCannabis Slow, Deep & Hard

I hope this turns out as good as I'd like it to. The cast does look rather promising and the premise sounds creepy as hell. As long as we are inundated with quick images and cutting, this could be a great genre flick. Although, I have been fooled plenty of times in the past, so I won't hold out too much hope.

16. Mortis

Mortis GARBAGE DAY!

TRAILER OF AN AMERICAN HAUNTING

http://www.creature-corner.com/?type=news&id=1132

17. slinker

slinker Un-Holy Force.

Hmmmm i figured they were gonna make a subtle well handled account of the hauntings, not fill it with over the top action...typical :S After watching the trailer im not looking forward to it as much.

18. eric_angelus

eric_angelus Testacular

Just got home from this and I really liked it alot. It was a nice, well done, old fashioned ghost story...kinda reminded me of Eyes of Fire. The performances were strong, especially from Sutherland and Spacek. There are more than a few Evil Dead style camera moves and some well done scares. The Company of Wolves style framing device was the only drawback.
    What was very interesting was the crowd I saw this with...mostly a bunch of bubble headed teenage girls. I was dreading how loud they were gonna be, but they were actually very quiet during the movie as though they were enjoying it (aside from the occasional screams and text messaging they were a pretty harmless bunch). Yet as we were all leaving they were all bitching about how much it sucked. I am just wondering if the ending went over their heads, and that was why they did not like the movie? As they seemed pretty into it until the final five minutes.

19. ReelFear

ReelFear New Member

The thing that impressed me the most about AN AMERICAN HAUNTING was it's simplicity. You've seen this all before, yet the film moves along so quick and keeps you disorientated that you feel like you've just had a dream (or nightmare) The photography was great, fast and creative using lots of different techniques. The music also helped alot. During the film I thought of THE EVIL DEAD, THE AMITYVILLE HORROR, and THE EXORCISM OF EMILY ROSE more than a few times. I was not bored for a second, and at 85 minutes the film never wears out its welcome. recommended. 7.5/10

20. onebyone

onebyone Guest

I liked it a lot too. It didn't reinvent the wheel, but I like the wheel, so I was ok with that. It was simple but well done haunting story with good actors, interesting camerawork, and real dialogue. I don't need more than that. I was entertained the whole time and never once checked my watch. That puts it way ahead of many horror movies of late.

The only thing I questioned was the purpose of adding a modern element to the story at all. It worked so well as an old fashioned ghost story that this element was just a distraction. Thankfully, it wasn't much of the movie, so it was just a small distraction. I will be getting this on DVD for sure.